Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

led headlight

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Thorn 
#1 ·
ok I pt a led headlight on my 97 vn750a and the headlight out light and the hi beam flickers. the high beam stills works and the low beam still works. any thoughts????? Scott

#2 ·
Wiring/contacts loose? LEDs also have less persistence than incandescent bulbs but given that the stator has three lobes and RPM is at least 800 that shouldn't matter to your eye.

One thing to consider is that the stator/regulator are sized for the system. The LED uses much less power than the standard headlight which is always on and a main dumping point for power. This means, unless you have something else to eat the power, the excess is dumped thru your regulator. I bought an LED bulb for mine but reconsidered after thinking it thru.

#8 ·
it will fix a relay issue (inside the junction box), but the RLU is seperate. it monitors the current flowing into the headlight (which ever filament is lit), and if its not enough, switches to the other filament and lights the warning on the dash.

Note: which ever filament is lit, which means if low beam is on, and not enough current (as an LED light would do) it will switch to high beam (which, wont have enough current either), and switch back, and switch back, ect. causes flickering/flashing of the headlight

#9 ·
#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link Spockster, and for the photos, Thorn. I am getting ready to change everything out for LEDs and was wondering how to do this myself. Now i know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.