Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Bike turns over, but will not start

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Beaker 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I have a 2001 Vulcan 750. I just did an oil change on it. I used mobile 1 fully synthetic. Within a couple days I started hearing a sort of SHH SHH SHH sound in time with the engine. I wasn't experiencing any loss of power so I was going to wait for my weekend to take a look at it. My weekend starts tomorrow, but my bike died on me halfway to work this morning. Thankfully I live close to work and was able to walk it back. So it started to die on me at a stop light because I'd forgotten to turn on the fuel valve. Once I do that, it normally picks back up. It died a couple times and I could get it restarted, but once I let go of the clutch and gave it some gas, it'd die again. Now it attempts to turn over and sounds strong at that, but will not start at all. On a side note, from time to time, maybe once every 3 weeks, when I turn off the bike, the petcock will leak for a few seconds and then stop. Not sure what's going on with it. I am very mechanically inclined and would prefer to repair it myself. I was thinking to switch the oil again as the problem started shortly after, but wanted to get some other rider's opinions on the probable cause. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Check the basics

Is the battery charged enough to start the bike?
- Anything below 12.6v and you'll probably have a hard time, even if it turns over ignition will be weak and you won't get good enough spark to ignite. A failed charging system could lead to this.

Is it getting spark?
- Take a spark plug out and ground it against the frame, attempt to start bike, do you get a spark? If not, will want to check everything from ignition coil wiring to pickup coil wiring, clean all connectors at igniter, etc.

Is it getting fuel?
- If it is getting spark, you need to make sure it's getting fuel. Disconnect the spark plugs on 1 cyl and turn it over a few times. Pull the plug. Is it wet with fuel? You got gas. If not, need to check petcock and carbs and see why.

Reactions: Beaker
#3 ·
Love to know the Answer to This.

I am interested to hear the results from this. I am a newbie here, just bought a 99. I was told that my bike has been tuned up and then sat in a garage for 4 years.

I am buying new plugs for it and changing out the gas, then going to follow your advice above and see where I stand when I try to start it this week.

#7 ·
Love to know the Answer to This.

I am interested to hear the results from this. I am a newbie here, just bought a 99. I was told that my bike has been tuned up and then sat in a garage for 4 years.

I am buying new plugs for it and changing out the gas, then going to follow your advice above and see where I stand when I try to start it this week.
You may want to rebuild the carbs and pet cock. also put in 5/16" disk filters. But I would try runnig some seafoam in the gas to clean out the carbs first.

#4 ·
Resolution

Hey all. I tried back blowing the carbs. I figured it was like a carb issue. Once I finished doing that, I looked up at my fuel valve and found the real issue. The tubing running from my fuel valve into the carb had split. So no gas was getting into the engine, or at least, not enough gas. This is what also cause the appearance of a fuel valve leak, as some of the gas would splash out at the fuel valve while riding. Patched it with duct tape as a temporary fix and then went and got some real tubing. Been running great since! $4 fix. Pretty rough :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.