Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Exhaust guard bolt fell off - what size?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  EQPlayer 
#1 ·
The left side top bolt holding the exhaust heat shield in place fell out. Went to the hardware store, tried bolts. A 12-24 bolt seemed the best fit, but it was very loose. They didn't have any 13-24 or 14-24 bolts to check.

According to the service manual (from TOC), p. 2362-2363, the bolt is:

Part 223X0620, SCREW-PAN-WS-CROS.

I could order it from Kaw, for about 5 times what it's worth. Would rather get a bolt from the hardware store. What size do I need?

#2 ·
I don't know but it's gonna be metric. Did you go someplace with metric bolts? Might have to try an auto parts store. Maybe someone here knows exactly but that's my advice!

#4 ·
#5 ·
#6 ·
All metric bolt sizing will start out with an "M". Next is the diameter x thread pitch x length. Then there is the grade... So for an 12mm diameter bolt you could have an M12 x 1.75 x length for a coarse thread or an M12 x 1.25 x length for fine thread.

You can also use McMaster-Carr for info on bolts.

The best way to match up the bolt will be to take the other one from the opposite side out and go into a place like Fastenal and ask them to match it up for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.