What COULD CAUSE EXCESSIVE MOTOR VIBRATION??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Cool What COULD CAUSE EXCESSIVE MOTOR VIBRATION???

my 95 vn750 starts and APPEARS to run well. It has but 6k miles. But rev the engine and the guages rattle and it's apparent something is wrong. I thought maybe it was electrical.
It sounds just like my 94vn 750 (which has virtually none of the objectionable vibration) but the vibration on my 95 gets steadily worse as the rpms increase. Any suggestions as to where I should be looking and how much it could cost to repair?

Thanks, Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 10:40 PM

Re: What COULD CAUSE EXCESSIVE MOTOR VIBRATION???

A seriously out of time valvetrain can cause excessive vibration but the bike wouldn't run right.

An ignition electrical problem would also keep the bike from running smoothly at idle. When I got my 94, it had a bad front right plug wire...the bike ran ok (I suspect some spark was going through) but not as well as after I replaced the wire. And there was no change in engine vibration. If a whole cylinder lost spark though? Couldn't hurt to pull the spark plugs and see if they indicate anything.

Any fuel problem would be indicated by more than just vibration.

If the vibration is there only when riding, it might be a tranny or drivetrain issue...a bad universal joint in the shaft drive?

If the vibration is there all the time, even when revving in neutral it's likely more related to the engine. Loose or worn motormount?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 12:43 AM

Red face Re: What COULD CAUSE EXCESSIVE MOTOR VIBRATION???

I had a carb problem that caused my '97 to run rough because of poor fuel flow that cut in and out from trash in the bowl. I cleaned and drained the fuel bowls and tank and the rough high RPM stopped. Evidently the previous owner allowed some gas to dry in the carbs and caused the junk to accumulate in the bowls.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 04:48 PM

I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be the rubber diaphragm that is under the cover on the outside of each carb (two screws). I forget what it is called, but it controls the fuel mix when decelerating.

Anyway, mine for the front cylinder had a bunch of holes in it so it was dumping fuel into the front cylinder like it was choked. It's easy to check this, as you don't have to remove the carb . . . just the two screws. There is a spring in there also, and a very small "O"-ring so be careful! Also, you might want to take a look at the spark plugs. My front one showed a lot of carbon from the rich mixture. The fuel economy was also bad, about 31 mpg. After fixing it I now average about 50 mpg and the bike runs great.

Good luck!

Bill
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Mosier
my 95 vn750 starts and APPEARS to run well. It has but 6k miles. But rev the engine and the guages rattle and it's apparent something is wrong. I thought maybe it was electrical.
It sounds just like my 94vn 750 (which has virtually none of the objectionable vibration) but the vibration on my 95 gets steadily worse as the rpms increase. Any suggestions as to where I should be looking and how much it could cost to repair?

Thanks, Colin
Check to see if your carbs are synched...
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584
Sponsored Links
Advertisement