Chrome gauges peeling up? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Chrome gauges peeling up?

Hey all, I've got some chrome on the front gauges peeling or breaking off and I'm wondering what to do to make them look like new again. I don't think I can get it rechromed for cheap, but, if that's the only option I shall. But I'd like to hear any other options there are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:24 AM

Garage
Actually this is fairly common on these bikes. I took mine apart and wire brushed the crap out of them, then painted them with a nice gray Krylon paint/primer. Turned out really nice. I decided at the end of this season to paint the "cones" on the backs of the gauges and the dash black (thanks to knifemaker posting a pic of his) and the colors compliment each other well. But I'm gonna have to redo the black because we got a nice day in December as I was painting and I threw everything back together to go ride for the day. Needless to say, the paint wasn't quite ready yet and looks kinda bad now.

- "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

'92 VN750
AGM battery, Iridium Spark plugs, Repaired/upgraded wiring per Mcinturff method, RLU removed, Repaired shift linkage, Exhaust baffles removed, Black ISO grips installed, installed SH775 R/R, Ignition coil relay mod, replaced stator housing.

Future projects: whatever it takes to keep riding

Currently working on: Light bar, LED upgrades, Dash cleanup/paint
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:26 AM

Garage
By the way, why don't you give us an introduction in the newbies section, please? It's pretty standard and I'm sure I'm not the only one that'll ask you to do so.
OleDirtyDoc likes this.

- "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

'92 VN750
AGM battery, Iridium Spark plugs, Repaired/upgraded wiring per Mcinturff method, RLU removed, Repaired shift linkage, Exhaust baffles removed, Black ISO grips installed, installed SH775 R/R, Ignition coil relay mod, replaced stator housing.

Future projects: whatever it takes to keep riding

Currently working on: Light bar, LED upgrades, Dash cleanup/paint

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:42 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR_Irish View Post
By the way, why don't you give us an introduction in the newbies section, please? It's pretty standard and I'm sure I'm not the only one that'll ask you to do so.
You'll be one of 5 guys that just love to berate people to make an intro post. Meanwhile, the rest of the forum doesn't care. This isn't A A...

Back to the topic at hand, this is super common as noted. Leaving the bike outside instead of garaged accelerates the process 10 fold.

Rustolium has a metallic spray paint line that has some good looking silvers.
shark88 likes this.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:46 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
You'll be one of 5 guys that just love to berate people to make an intro post. Meanwhile, the rest of the forum doesn't care. This isn't A A...

Back to the topic at hand, this is super common as noted. Leaving the bike outside instead of garaged accelerates the process 10 fold.

Rustolium has a metallic spray paint line that has some good looking silvers.
pleas don't stir the pot.this place has been pretty calm lately.thank you

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
pleas don't stir the pot.this place has been pretty calm lately.thank you

By calm do you mean.. dead?

Heres #2 of the 5 that give a hoot. Sorry but this isn't your forum, and I don't take kindly to a small group trying to run it like they own it.

No intros required. It's a forum not an AA meeting. You'll find more people stick around if you don't ask them to jump through hoops.

Once again, check out those rustolium metallic paints. May find one that suits your needs.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:37 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
hmmmm, it isn't your forum either.and when I mean calm,I mean everyone has been polite (even when asking nicely for introductions)and haven't been trying to dig up old nonsense that should be buried.you may not like people to introduce themselves and pushing that issue is also kind of like trying to bully people into making this place your own.as you can already tell,no matter how many times you try to get us to stop asking,we keep on keeping on.so please just drop the drama,this isn't a soap opera, and carry on.thank you and have a pleasant day.

sportster seat

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:51 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Just as it isn't your forum, it isn't mine. Keep berating people about intro posts? I'll respond letting them know it isn't required. No drama; just facts.

To continue my trend of actually addressing the topic at hand any time I respond, here's a photo of those metallic paints I was talking about.

The metallic silver second to the right would look pretty close to original I think. Make sure to use a primer!

Edit: dark steel on the very right also looks really awesome
JimmyMac likes this.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

Last edited by thtanner; 12-29-2017 at 12:53 PM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 12:57 PM

thtanner c'mon he was polite and asked nicely. It's not a big deal, it's standard practice when joining a forum to introduce yourself so people know where you are, what you know how to do to fix stuff, and maybe if we have other common interests. It's useful, only takes a few minutes, and can actually help existing forum members give more insightful advice based on the mechanical skill level of the new member.

Heck, most forums actually send you through a whole process where they REQUIRE you to post an intro before they'll even allow you to post anywhere else in the forum, so this one is more lax in that regard and it falls upon the users to request that info in order to better serve the person asking the question.

For instance, let's say this guy has never turned a wrench, doesn't have a tool in his shed except windex and a rag. Can we help him with this problem? No, probably not, and it would likely not be worth the trouble for him to take it to a shop to fix an old bike's chrome-on-plastic. Does the guy have a wire wheel, was a mechanic for some 20 odd years, and know exactly what kind of operation TR_Irish is talking about? At this point, we do not know, and until the new user responds and says either "ok that sounds good" or "what is a wire wheel? I thought this thing had no spokes on the wheels? Also doesn't Krylon just kill superman???" we will not even have the slightest inkling of knowing.

BESIDES THAT POINT:
repainting is a good option if you know how to take the gauge pods apart, they're relatively simple if you don't have a windshield installed. Welcome to the forum, dunthyon. We have a lot of good users here with a lot of time spent slaving over these machines fixin' and lovin' them. Don't worry about the drama, just do yourself a favor and post an intro in the introductions forum when you get a chance.

Happy riding
OleDirtyDoc likes this.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 01:22 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
Just as it isn't your forum, it isn't mine. Keep berating people about intro posts? I'll respond letting them know it isn't required. No drama; just facts.

To continue my trend of actually addressing the topic at hand any time I respond, here's a photo of those metallic paints I was talking about.

The metallic silver second to the right would look pretty close to original I think. Make sure to use a primer!

Edit: dark steel on the very right also looks really awesome
how is politely asking someone a question berating?most people come here and politely ask questions;is that berating? nobody has brought this topic up in months (hmmmmmmmm, could that be because SOMEONE hasn't really been active in those few months) so I'm asking,AGAIN, politely (not even a bit berating,nudge nudge,wink wink),PLEASE let it go.nobody wants to hear the constant bickering

sportster seat