Illegal Racing - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Illegal Racing

So I was out for a ride the other day on the desolate roads near the airport and came upon a group of "kids" racing their crotch rockets. Needless to say I was a little more than a tad pissed when they were taking up both sides of the road while trying to kill themselves. As I was behind the sizable group, I assumed they didn't see me so I figured I'd give them a sign. I twisted the trottle and Sable growled loud at them. THAT got their attention but unfortunately not the kind I wanted. They all looked at me for a second with kind of stunned looks on there faces. The guy starting the race chuckled and gestured for me to pull up to the line. I did but only so I could get past these assbags. A red and black crotch rocket pulls up next to me, the rider looks at me and my bike, drops his visor, shakes his head, and laughs. The guy in front of me makes sure our front tires were even, points at his friend, points at me, raises both hands, then throws them down. The rider next to me jumps into a wheely and effectively vanishes. I let the clutch out calmly and pull away as I would from a stop sign. I continue my ride and never look back. The guy I "raced" is at the quarter mile mark down the road. As I pass him I wave and I see him laughing.

This brings a few questions to mind: did I ask these people to race by revving my engine? What happens to you if you get caught racing bikes illegally? Because even though it was niave, I kinda did. If I report them will I be shot in my sleep? If they want to needlessly risk their foolish lives that's fine I guess but I'd rather it not take up the entire road I'm trying to ride on. I really wanted to tune one of 'um up but there were like 25 of them. Is there a way to stop them that keeps both them and me safe? How do I get around them without racing, without losing teeth, and without getting a crotch rocket up the tail pipe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I would let the cops know what is going on and have them handle it. Trying to reason with idiots is an exercise in frustration. The police can " 'splain it to 'em" with authority and in words they will understand!

Different states have various ways to define what you observed, but in most it's called reckless operation of a motor vehicle and speeding. While "tuning one of them" might feel good, in the eyes of the law it could be considered assault, and that's probably not the image you want to project. Next time, using the horn might elicit a different response from the group, but with their racing mindset, that's not certain. Short of turning around and taking another route, don't think there is any way to guarantee you won't get a crotch rocket up your tailpipe if you get in front of that crowd. If you work your way through the group and try to continue on your way, it's possible someone will take exception and try to blow by you to show you he's boss.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 AM

if you get caught racing in pa you lose your licence and will probably lose your ride.... then have to pay more than your bike is worth to get it outa the impound and then still have to deal with the asses that are still racing at the same spot.... just call the po-po... how would they know its you??

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Old Truck Junkie

When I was younger yeeaars ago, we used to have a 1/4 marked off on the out side of town. Most kids raced cars. But now the bikes have gotten more popular.
I would leave them alone, the cops will get wind of it on thier own and put a stop to it. imo

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:24 AM

Natural selection will thin them out, one at a time.

As for asking to race with the rev? I'd have to say yes. May not have been intentional, but that was a pretty universal sign when I was growing up.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
This brings a few questions to mind: did I ask these people to race by revving my engine?
I think you sorta did, at least years ago if some one goosed her a bit, it ment something was wrong with the engine or he wanted to race... Speaking of cars here though... I would assume it also applied to bikes too... Also sometimes when you are one and they are a bunch, you just gotta bite the bullet and bear it...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Liberty, is there a race track near where you live?? We have one here in Abilene. One pays 10$ on a certain day and you can race all you want. The one here is 1/8 mile.
I took the vulcan, ran 8 times thought I had better quit. I ran 75 mph with 10.5 ET.
People of all ages play.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Vintage bike addict

I'd have turned around and called the law. It might save someones life.There are legal places to race.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Yep, you were asking for a race. Revving the engine is pretty universal.

The best thing to do in that situation is turn around and find another route. In CA, just being AT the race is almost as bad as being IN the race. You still get cited for being there, and lord help you if you got anything out of spec on the bike.

Calling the cops on them is an individual decision.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCruzin View Post
Yep, you were asking for a race. Revving the engine is pretty universal.

The best thing to do in that situation is turn around and find another route. In CA, just being AT the race is almost as bad as being IN the race. You still get cited for being there, and lord help you if you got anything out of spec on the bike.

Calling the cops on them is an individual decision.
Sure is. So do you own a Vulcan 750?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement