Broken bolt at reed valve cover - can we review do's and don'ts for removing? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Angry Broken bolt at reed valve cover - can we review do's and don'ts for removing?

First, can I just vent for a second and say how much I hate those soft aluminum bolts that Kaw uses on the engine block? They have an amazing tendency to stick-and-snap-off on the reed valve covers - guess it's the heat, crud from the exhaust, but they are just consistently a problem and I see no reason why four steel bolts couldn't have been used instead. 'Nuf said.

Anyway, I broke off the bolts when I was rebuilding Orleans (fixed 'em with JB Weld..sort of) and I've done it again on this new project bike. There's about 5mm of the threads sticking out from the engine, and I've been hitting it all weekend with PB Blaster. My guess is that when I go to turn it, however, it's just going to snap off closer in, so I bought a 6mm drill bit and a M6 x 1.0 tap to clean the threads when it comes to that.

That said, can someone walk me through the steps to drilling out the remaining bolt bit and cleaning the threads? I know I don't have much margin for error since I'm in the engine case...but any tips before I start drilling would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

I just had to drill out the manifold stud and tap it to put my Jardines on. Looking at the bike I'd say you are fairly safe because you have the reed valve to keep any debris from going into the engine. Use oil (regular 3-in-1 will work) and drill in a little and back out to clear the debris. You might want to have a small vac available and suck out the shavings. Once you get it cleaned out, tapping it should be fairly easy. Line the tap up square to the hole and start the tap going in a little, then back out to clean out the debris and go again. Use lots of oil to help the tap cut the metal.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 08:13 PM

Sometimes it helps to have an assistant line up the drill bit and tap horizontally and vertically while you're working so things stay square.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 AM

Don't forget to put some "anti-seize" on the new bolts...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
Don't forget to put some "anti-seize" on the new bolts...
X2
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Giggity!

Garage
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Vintage bike addict

File the top flat. Use a center punch to dimple it in the center. Drill as suggested above. BTW they do make drills that turn CCW that could actually remove the broken piece while you drill. Start with a very small drill then go tone large enough for an easy out. In a pinch a small torx bit can be hammered into the stud to pull it.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
I've used screw/bolt extractors in the past with very good results. If it works (never had a case where it did not), then existing threads will not be damaged. No tapping needed, just buy a new bolt in the same size as the old.

You can find bolt extractors in most hardware stores, in all sizes and they are about the cost of a good drill bit (I picked up a kit with about 6 different sizes for about $20). Extractors are simple to use; apply penetrating oil (let it work in real good), drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt, screw in the bolt extractor (correct size to fit in the hole drilled) and use a breaker bar (or wrench with a pipe to extend the handle) to unscrew the broken bolt. The extractor has left hand/reverse threads, so it continues to bite into the broken bolt as you unscrew it.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

Last edited by cglennon; 02-16-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: more detail
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 06:06 PM

I've seen something called Grabit advertised on TV for use in removing stripped / snapped screws. I don't own a set, and have no idea whether it works as well as advertised, but it seems so that it'd be useful in your situation.

www.4grabit.com

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
i normally try to grab it the bolt w/ vice grips and use some heat to get a bolt out, if that doesnt work ill either try to drill w/ a left handed bit and/or use a easy out, if not i weld a nut to it.... all else fails drill and tap. if u weld a nut to it it'll either work or it'll break off closer and it'll be harder to drill

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement