Saddle Bag Support question - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM

I bought the Kawi saddlebag support kit from RonAyers.com, and it comes with the hardware to relocate the helmet locks to the rear of the bike. I'm not all that happy with it, though, b/c the two holes they put in the L-brackets to receive the helmet locks were both drilled offset...in the same direction (instead of opposite directions). Thus, I have one helmet lock that is much closer to the tail light than I would prefer. It's functional, just not aesthetically pleasing. If it gets to bugging me too much, I'll find someplace else to tap a couple of holes and move the helmet locks.

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

I am leaning towards a relocation spot somewhere, just don't know where yet. My next project is a spline lube and rear tire mount, rear brakes, but when I put it back together I want to put the saddlebag supports on.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

I found the solution to the helmet relocation, why didn't I think of this? I found this little company that makes a relocation bracket to mount the lock to the front wheel using the original screw that holds the fender on. Simple but very effective, looks great and no one will know they weren't factory.

They are $13.50 each, you only need one, but if you want one on both sides then you will need 2 (and I didn't need a calculator for this one. All that drilling by my ex constanting saying, "can't you add? you dumbs_ _t 1 plus 1 is 2"; little does she know I actually did listen to her." Anyway, back to the bracket...

Here is a picture and a link to the site if anyone is interested.

http://www.nopork.com/shop_product.a...awasaki+vulcan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HLRK-KAW02.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1386  

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:02 AM

Kawasaki makes a killer saddlebag support kit specifically for the '86-'06 VN750 (part number K53021-094). The kit includes everything you'll need: supports w/bag mounts, turn signal relocation brackets (makes getting into your bags actually convenient), and helmet locks relocation and all hardware (all chrome). In fact, they're pictured in crobins365's post. I searched high and low for somekind of kit and almost gave up when I ran across this kit. Kawasaki sells it for $159.95 but I found it online at Babbitts Sports Center for $123.16 plus freight. Got it in about 5 days too! It's an awsome kit and worth every penny!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kirk here" View Post
Kawasaki makes a killer saddlebag support kit specifically for the '86-'06 VN750 (part number K53021-094). The kit includes everything you'll need: supports w/bag mounts, turn signal relocation brackets (makes getting into your bags actually convenient), and helmet locks relocation and all hardware (all chrome). In fact, they're pictured in crobins365's post. I searched high and low for somekind of kit and almost gave up when I ran across this kit. Kawasaki sells it for $159.95 but I found it online at Babbitts Sports Center for $123.16 plus freight. Got it in about 5 days too! It's an awsome kit and worth every penny!
X2---Thats the one I have... One other thing, it still uses the Orig. Ign. key......
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

I got chrome supports with stainless bolts, the 2 relocation mounts for the front wheel for $60 including shipping. Since I'm using Willie and Max throwover bags the turn signals are really not a problem, just the helmet locks.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhusn View Post
Pictures would be great, I might be able to fabricate something. I appreciate the help.

I got mine on e-bay from Calvary-Custom. They are chrome and look great but no instructions and didn't realize I'd have to move the locks. Here is what they look like:
i bought some similar ones from ebay and i was able to keep my helmet locks in place. The ones i got i had to bolt the back section of the bracket to the outside of the chrome rail and i tucked the front section under the chrome rail. However i still had to take the locks off to install the brackets then put them back on after the brackets were installed.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
At Least I Can Spell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViVaLaLude00 View Post
i bought some similar ones from ebay and i was able to keep my helmet locks in place. The ones i got i had to bolt the back section of the bracket to the outside of the chrome rail and i tucked the front section under the chrome rail. However i still had to take the locks off to install the brackets then put them back on after the brackets were installed.
Link Please??

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Here's where I put mine. It's not as secure as a metal bracket, but I like it. There is enough room to hang a full face helmet without it getting into the head pipe.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Glenn C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Hmm, these appear to be turn signal relocation brackets that also allow for the relocation of the helmet locks. That may be more involved than what you wanted to do (especially if there's no other reason to relocate the turn signals). Sorry I can't be more helpful to you!
Hey your Signal/helmet lock re-locator bracket, could you give me some measurements and stuff for that.
What is the distance from the end, to the 90degree bend, and what is the distant from the bend to the short end??
Also, if you could give me the placements and sizes of the holes, that would be great.
I work at a machine shop and i am trying to draw up a print that will work, but i cant get it figured out.

Thanks

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page
VN750 Stator Plates and Products

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 (being restored)
1986 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
1985 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement