Greetings and GVW ? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Greetings and GVW ?

Hello all. Nice to find this Forum. I am considering the purchase of a VN 750. My only concern is one of the vehicles ability to support both my weight and on occasion my wife. I am app 290lbs and she is 120. Combined we exceed the max. load limit as I understand it. This motorcycle will be primarily used for commuting and recreational in state driving. No long distance [ in excess of 200 miles one way] driving contemplated. Minimal twisting and winding of roads in my area. Speeds will seldom exceed 65 MPH as driving will be done on state and county roads. Interstate usage will be limited. Will this motorcycle work for a porker like me or do I need to heed friend and co-workers advice and go the Harley clone route. Your candor will be appreciated. P.S. I last rode bikes to any appreciable amount in 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:22 AM

Re: Greetings and GVW ?

I last rode in 1980 and just bought an '06. I love it. It's so easy to handle. I
bought it and rode it 60 miles home that day. I stalled it leaving the dealer
lot, but never did again. It handles great. The other bikes I tried were too
bulky. They say the VN750 is a dated design. I disagree. It has all the features
I was looking for. Besides, all the new cruisers look like they're from the 50's.
(Like Barny Fifes cop bike.)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:07 AM

Walter,

I ride both the 750 and 1500 Vulcan and after reading your combined weight and concerns about you and your wife riding the 750...I would recommend a 1500 for it's size and ability to take higher loads. Of course your budget can determine what you can afford but I would not get focused on the dollar amount if you intend to ride and enjoy it...both you and your wife. I could see the 750 being a good choice from some respects but in reality I doubt you would be happy with it since your going to want to be comfortable and need a bike big enough to haul you both and your gear. The 1500 is a great bike and will do just that. If you cannot afford a new one take a look at used ones. I bought mine used with 3,000 miles on it in excellent shape. It already had saddlebags...windshield...and Hard Krome aftermarket pipes on it so I didn't need to add that cost after the purchase. There are alot of good deals out there. Look on ebay and craigslist and see what you can find. Considering your information you posted...I would highly recommend a 1500 or bigger. Just my $.02.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:42 AM

Like Whistle, I too have a 750 & 1500. I just got the 1500 two weeks ago and love it. The main reason for the 1500 was for my wife and I to “fit” better when riding together. Our combined “roundness” made for an uncomfortable ride and it was not very safe because I was sitting so far up the tank. The 750 is a great bike and I love mine, but I think for you and your wife riding two up, you will be safer and happier with a larger bike.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 03:22 PM

Walter, the combined weight of you and your wife is similar to the combined weight of me and my wife. The VN 750 is abolutely perfect for me riding by myself. It is a little crowded when my wife is on with me, but not to the extent that I would consider it dangerous. The suspension easily handles our weight. We have ridden twisties in the mountains with no problems. My wife just rides occasionally and not on really long distance trips, so the two-up situation is not a problem that would justify going to a bigger bike for us. One thing my wife did insist on was a set of grab bars, so she could hold on to something other than me when riding. You can see what I did to solve this on the thread at https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376

Good luck whatever you decide.

Wally Colly

2004 VN750 "Freedom"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Greetings and GVW ?

Thank you for the timely replies and advice which I do appreciate. I checked out the specs on the 1500 and it is a very impressive beast. I'ts just too much for me. I sat on a Susuki 800 cruiser and it was uncomfortable. The new 900 Kawasaki looks interesting but it is unfortunately untested, unavailable and may also be uncomfortable. The Honda 1100 Sabre felt awkward although the 1100 Spirit was nice. The VN 750 was not even a consideration until I went to the dealership and my eyes kind of dragged me over to it. When I sat on it I could not help thinking "where were you when I was 18". My wife loved it after looking at the Harley clones with a blank stare. Tough decisions to make but I WANT the 750. I will try to be honest with myself and again i thank you for the advice.

P.S. That 1500 would be something for my grandkids to see the old fart riding up on.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:01 PM

Get the 750 and after a couple years get a 1600 and let the wife ride the 750.
That's my plan. The wife just doesn't know it yet. Chances are she won't be on
the back that much after the newness wears off, but you will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement