Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

130 mph would be nice

4K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  LibertyPilot 
#1 · (Edited)
Anybody have a rodded VN 750? i'd like to rod mine up some, start with the basics and move forward in increments, i'd like to see it do 118-130 mph or so, if the rpm's are there, i dont think they are though, we dont want red line. Lance has a hot one, very exspensive retro, sounds good i like a good kicker.
I dont know what it is about some drivers, but i will follow at a distance for 5 miles at say 73mph, then i will speed up to pass, and the next thing i know i'm going 85, and they are going 85, and i got a headwind, and i'm reving the bolloux out of it trying to pass!:rockon::rockon:
Just curious!

#2 ·
#3 ·
I got to a buck 25 the other day in 5th just givin' an extra twist. When's the last time you cleaned her insides or checked the mixture? She might be runnin' lean...

I hate when people match my speed when I'm passing them. I can't tell you how many times that happens, I look over at them, and they're on the damn cell phone! Hang up and drive people!!! Go at your own pace, NOT MINE!!!

#5 ·
I was about to post something else - then re-read and saw that your too slow driver is going 73 mph. Not sure what the speed limit is there on 2 lane roads - here it's 55 - too slow drivers are doing 50, and the vulcan jumps up to 80 pretty quickly making for a fast pass.

That said, the vulcan kinda runs outta steam around 90. She'll do more than 90 for sure, but it takes a lot more work to get that last 30 mph than the first 90 (that whole damn r=kv^2 thing). For every day, somewhat sane riding - that's just fine with me... if it wasn't, I'd ride a sportbike and have the tickets to prove it...

#7 · (Edited)
Gentlemen, My bike is rode on the OPEN PLAINES here is NEBRASKA, it's f------ windy as hell, especially in march, april, and may, top speed sometimes has been 65 mph, wind speed at 55-60 mph,according to weather forcast, thats a very windy ride.
I have the plexi 3, so she's pushing hard wind at that, and when it's tornado season out here, 60 mph winds are common for weeks on end.
The bike will do 115 mph without wind and windsheild. I dont think she's too lean, plugs look good.
I am not a motorcycle mechanic and know very little, but i am an Autotech for cars, and buissiness owner.
The concept is the same kind of.
Can these carbs be richened up a bit, i have never worked on a motorbike carb, any adjustments?
I dont think it needs it, needs NITROUS! HA HA.
I am not dis-attisfied with the little love, she's only a 750, but i just think i need a bit more power out here, it's like Wyoming, if you have ever been there.
They call Chicago the windy city, most not likely with all those sky scrapers, try the Open Plaines, 50 miles of nothing. Who in their right mind would want to ride without a helmet?
I'll have to put some thought to the rocket juice, or i could just say F--- it, drive the corvette!.:rockon::rockon:

#8 ·
Get a Ferrari, strobe light, and life insurance. The wind won't be as noticeable in the car and it won't have problems doing 130 in those conditions. You can roll the windows down if you want the wind in your hair. The strobe light may give those innocents sharing the highways of western Nebraska enough warning to get out of your way, and the life insurance should be enough to give you a decent burial.

#12 · (Edited)
Flite, you have mis interpreted what i am saying; I am not wanting to go 130 mph and run people off the road, all i am saying is that passing in very windy condition, is tough at the 70-80 mph if a driver picks up speed on the interstate, so i need more headroom, so i can crack it open and pass.:rockon:

Dont have ferrari, but have Corvette does very well.

#13 · (Edited)
This really seems like the same thread you started in Motorcycle Safety on "Interstate Riding"...so , one thread, one subject. (not sure how it concerns safety BTW)

But a stock Vulcan will easily go 120 mph. But yeah if you are going into a stiff wind with a big windscreen , it ain't going to happen very fast.

If you want a bike that can pass folks quickly (that are already doing 80) while going into a stiff headwind, you do have the wrong bike.

If you say "she's only a 750" again , I may come down there and slap you...:doh:

It ain't the size of the engine , there are 500cc bikes that will run circles around the Vulcan 750. The bike was not produced with "performance" in mind. Most "cruisers" suffer this fate. V-twins in particular are not high reving motors, most of the power and torque come in down low, which is what most folks like in a bike like this...so that is how they make them.

Now you added a big windscreen to a bike that already was about as aerodynamic as a garage door, and you want to cut through the wind like butter? You'll need at least another 60hp. (And even with bigger jets , air cleaners and exhaust, you be lucky to add 10 hp.)

And with those performance add ons , you still will never see 130mph unless you run the bike past redline. (top speed on any bike is fixed, unless you change gearing)

So, if you want to pass cars like they are sitting still, take the 'vette. Or do like I did an buy a FAST bike. My FJR has a 1300 cc inline four that puts out 140hp. The fairing is ALOT more aerodynamic than any naked ride. The bike will go 0-60 in 2.9 seconds and I have yet to top it out, but have gotten up to 137mph...that with luggage and my wife on the back.......

My advice here is don't try passing cars like you are on a race bike when you are not. The Vulcan 750 is a very able bike that can do alot of things bikes of its type can not do, but asking to to outperform it's on limitaitions is silly.

With that skinny front tire, it's poor aerodynamics, and the sometimes useless rear drum , I would not wish to go much faster than the bike is capable of doing. If you truely want to cut through the wind with that big windscreen on there, don't waste money on the engine mods, buy a bigger and "sleeker" bike.

KM

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks knife, i agree , well said, The other thread somehow got into a mixed intertwined conversation, and somehow i ended with the same questions in 2 different threads, consider me slapped:hitanykey
So these bikes are bassically a sit-back and relax style then?
Say 75-80 comfort zone sounds about right?
I agree, a certain amount of safety becomes an issue at a certain speed.
Is that front tire too thin then for that high speed stuff?

#15 ·
Is that front tire too thin then for that high speed stuff?
Lets just say it has a fairly small contact patch that I personaly would not like to depend on at high speeds. In a straight line , likely not a problem.

Tires are however "speed rated" ....so just guessing I don't think the Vulcan tire is rated for more than 120 anyway, although I do not know their rating.

KM

#16 · (Edited)
Have you ever tried out a Suzuki C90T ? I have sat on many bikes, most of which i did not like, especially sport bikes!
What do you think of that one? Should run good all dressed up in windy enviroments? 1500cc
It was a very comfartable bike, low saddle, all the works, smooth and quick acceleration, what do you think knife?
Whats it's top speed?

#18 ·
Have you ever tried out a Suzuki C90T ? I have sat on many bikes, most of which i did not like, especially sport bikes!
What do you think of that one? Should run good all dressed up in windy enviroments? 1500cc
It was a very comfartable bike, low saddle, all the works, smooth and quick acceleration, what do you think knife?
The C90T is a big bike (1462 cc's BTW, not exactly 1500) 747 pounds wet. Being a technology lover, the fuel injected motor is the way to go, carbs are always a pain.
What I found odd was the size of the gas tank...3.7 gallons. You'd think something that big would have a tank to match.

Style wise, not a bad looking bike, although I would think you could save some money by getting the standard C90 and adding your own windscreen and bags.

Somehow I really get the feeling you are trying to rationalize getting a bigger bike so your coffee shop freinds stop making fun of you and your "little 750"....

KM

#17 ·
The day I bought my bike last spring, I rode about 20 miles out to my daughters place. I was just cruising on the 4 lane at about 5000 rpm or 70 mph give or take. I`m a big guy, almost #300 then and I have a big police style windshield as well. I had about 3-4 miles of flat straight road and only a couple of cars in sight about half a mile ahead. I twisted the throttle wide open just to see what she`d do, and I caught the cars in a couple of miles, but she didn`t have much left to give past 150 km/hr (94 mph). Now I understand our speedo reads about 10% high, so I was really only traveling about 85 mph. I suppose I could get the speedo to read 100 mph, but that was not my purpose in getting the bike. I just want to cruise and enjoy a more leisurely ride. I agree with KM about the size of the contact patch that skinny front tire has with the road. I also thought about how far I would slide, if I went down at that speed, and eased off on the throttle.

I`ve had experiences where I`ve been doing the speed limit on a 4 lane highway and a Harley or a sportbike have come out of nowhere from behind, gone past like I`m standing still, and almost scared the crap out off me. Do what you have to, to make the bike your own, but please use the extra power wisely. I want all of you to still be here on the forum at the end of this riding season, not spread down the open roads of Nebraska or Texas. Hoss

#19 · (Edited)
Knife, the reason we ask you questions is because you are a respected player on this forum, you have the exsperience of bike's that a lot of us do not have , especially in model and designs, and safety , all aspects really, and your replies are listened to in great detail.
I dont understand that there is always a line of 'sarcazm' in your replies, like
[i'm trying to impress the pinheads at the coffee shop], i feel like a YAAH HOO asking sometimes! Oxy moron type?
No, i did not take it personally! It sounds like you are irritated by me and my placement of threads etc.
I dont have 30 years of motorcycle exsperience, and i'm not trying to impresss the coffee shop crowd, they aren't even riding at the moment, it's too cold for them, you know what i mean, it has to be 70 degree's and no wind!
I am not ashamed of my tiny 750.

I'm just reveiwing a bigger, stronger, wind blasting, overtaking bike that cuts like a knife through butter.
I am also revewing what the rest of the crowd does in general, yes i am naive, but i'm not afraid to ask.:rockon::rockon::rockon:

P;S 3.7 gallons will suck down really quick out here!

#20 ·
you know what i mean, it has to be 70 degree's and no wind!
Hey, my kind of riding buddies...:rockon:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#22 · (Edited)
Thats good info , thanks knife, i will look into the V-star range. I am taking my time doing the research, because i have been hasty before and just bought anyhing on impulse.
Now that i have a good bike, i plan on researching all models, styles, and riders opinions etc, before i even get on one. Then i will be educated better. I'm not in a hurry, but as you stated earlier, i am requesting un-reasonable request with what i have, although it does fine, it's not a sport tourer with bookoo passing power in bookoo windy enviroments. I have checked out your yamaha 1300, looks killer, i dont think my arms and shoulder can take the leaning over though, i rode a lean over last fall for 50 miles, elbows are a bit wore out for the leaning, need straight up posture, especially everyday for 100 miles.
Thanks again knife, talk soon.:smiley_th

#24 ·
My 03 would do close to 115 (would'nt hardly get there) in a level w/dead wind, but would probably hit the 115 with a wind to my back... Although I have had my 06 for over 15K miles I have not top ended it in 5th gear, I have on the other hand had the tach to red line in 4th gear in a pass and run, and it will get the job done, drop her down and let the Rs come up and pass like you need to... I actually think my 06 may run better than my 03...BTW-There is no rev limiter on the VN750, or at least on mine...
I dropped my 03 on its right side at a stop in wet grass and tried to hold it by the handlebars and opened it up as it went down, when it got down to where I could get off the throttle I could see the tach and it had already started to come back and was about in the middle of the red, I would bet that the tach about made the full trip...
Thats my story and I'm a stickin to it...

#25 ·
Alright please excuse the noob but I've seen it a couple times now and so have to ask. If we want more torque or a burst of speed to pass when we're in 5th on the highway, we can drop it down to 4th, crank up the rpms, and pass quicker? Once we pass and move back in front (or not) do we kick it back up into 5th, maintain speed and bring the rpms back to cruise? Whats the benefit of that over staying in 5th and giving it more twist?

#26 ·
Yes if you down shift and get better Rs and twist the throttle it will give you a passing boost when needed, then when you get around pull up into a higher gear and cruise at your speed... Of course it all depends on how fast you are running to what gear you need, and you won't get help by down shifting either if you are flying to start with...

#27 · (Edited)
This will take care of the problem, should reach 200mph without damaging the engine. Just slap on a couple of theese puppies and your off to the races. :rockon:

#29 ·
This thing has got toooo big for me...lol...

#30 ·
Damn lance, I was gonna get a couple of these things for each of my vehicles (ok, maybe just one for the Rebel) and now you've let everybody know about 'em! Now there's gonna be a run on rocket motors, the supply will go down and the price will go up! Thanks man!

#32 ·
You can pick one or two up at your local Black Market or any Military Base that is having a "going out of buisness sale". LOL Just tell them you want a JATO or RATO! :smiley_th

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.