130 mph would be nice - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertech View Post
I dont understand that there is always a line of 'sarcazm' in your replies, like
[i'm trying to impress the pinheads at the coffee shop],.......

Well, that is not exactly what I said, but do please note I was joking. There was a pattern in your threads and I noticed it and made a joke about it:

You post that you wondering if the 750 is big enough.
You mention how the "coffee shop guys" say the bike is too small.
You post that the bike won't go fast enough for you..
Then you post that you are thinking that perhaps you need a "bigger bike" ...

My comment that the guys in the coffee shop had roped you into their way of thinking was , as stated, a joke. I am sure ALL your threads and posts were meant to poll opinions and simply ask things you wanted some answer on.
Usualy interwoven in my bad jokes I do try to actualy answer your questions, you just have to get used to the fact that I will likely make fun of something given half a chance, so yeah, don't take it personaly.

On your last thought, I should point out that although the tank on the C90T is kinda small, owners report decent gas mileage (45-65 mpg) so a range of 150-170 miles on a tank is at least possible. Most folks , even with a decent seat on their bike, don 't care for riding more than 2 hours without a stop anyway.
For purely safety reasons , it is always a good idea to stop and "relax" some at least that often. With all the added tension of riding around a big city full of traffic, constantly watching out for those trying to kill me, and just the buzz of the motor and wind , I tend to get a bit frazzled if I don't stop for a break every 90 minutes. (with less traffic and less speed the times would be longer of course)
You might want to check out the Yamaha line of "Star" motorcycles. These have also recieved good press and their big V twins seem to pretty solid.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Thats good info , thanks knife, i will look into the V-star range. I am taking my time doing the research, because i have been hasty before and just bought anyhing on impulse.
Now that i have a good bike, i plan on researching all models, styles, and riders opinions etc, before i even get on one. Then i will be educated better. I'm not in a hurry, but as you stated earlier, i am requesting un-reasonable request with what i have, although it does fine, it's not a sport tourer with bookoo passing power in bookoo windy enviroments. I have checked out your yamaha 1300, looks killer, i dont think my arms and shoulder can take the leaning over though, i rode a lean over last fall for 50 miles, elbows are a bit wore out for the leaning, need straight up posture, especially everyday for 100 miles.
Thanks again knife, talk soon.

Last edited by Mastertech; 02-03-2009 at 10:08 PM.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
The day I bought my bike last spring, I rode about 20 miles out to my daughters place. I was just cruising on the 4 lane at about 5000 rpm or 70 mph give or take. I`m a big guy, almost #300 then and I have a big police style windshield as well. I had about 3-4 miles of flat straight road and only a couple of cars in sight about half a mile ahead. I twisted the throttle wide open just to see what she`d do, and I caught the cars in a couple of miles, but she didn`t have much left to give past 150 km/hr (94 mph). Now I understand our speedo reads about 10% high, so I was really only traveling about 85 mph. I suppose I could get the speedo to read 100 mph, but that was not my purpose in getting the bike. I just want to cruise and enjoy a more leisurely ride. I agree with KM about the size of the contact patch that skinny front tire has with the road. I also thought about how far I would slide, if I went down at that speed, and eased off on the throttle.

I`ve had experiences where I`ve been doing the speed limit on a 4 lane highway and a Harley or a sportbike have come out of nowhere from behind, gone past like I`m standing still, and almost scared the crap out off me. Do what you have to, to make the bike your own, but please use the extra power wisely. I want all of you to still be here on the forum at the end of this riding season, not spread down the open roads of Nebraska or Texas. Hoss
Thanks hoss, you are a gem!

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

My 03 would do close to 115 (would'nt hardly get there) in a level w/dead wind, but would probably hit the 115 with a wind to my back... Although I have had my 06 for over 15K miles I have not top ended it in 5th gear, I have on the other hand had the tach to red line in 4th gear in a pass and run, and it will get the job done, drop her down and let the Rs come up and pass like you need to... I actually think my 06 may run better than my 03...BTW-There is no rev limiter on the VN750, or at least on mine...
I dropped my 03 on its right side at a stop in wet grass and tried to hold it by the handlebars and opened it up as it went down, when it got down to where I could get off the throttle I could see the tach and it had already started to come back and was about in the middle of the red, I would bet that the tach about made the full trip...
Thats my story and I'm a stickin to it...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 AM

Alright please excuse the noob but I've seen it a couple times now and so have to ask. If we want more torque or a burst of speed to pass when we're in 5th on the highway, we can drop it down to 4th, crank up the rpms, and pass quicker? Once we pass and move back in front (or not) do we kick it back up into 5th, maintain speed and bring the rpms back to cruise? Whats the benefit of that over staying in 5th and giving it more twist?
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Yes if you down shift and get better Rs and twist the throttle it will give you a passing boost when needed, then when you get around pull up into a higher gear and cruise at your speed... Of course it all depends on how fast you are running to what gear you need, and you won't get help by down shifting either if you are flying to start with...

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
The Professor

This will take care of the problem, should reach 200mph without damaging the engine. Just slap on a couple of theese puppies and your off to the races.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 04-10-2009 at 10:09 AM.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Alright please excuse the noob but I've seen it a couple times now and so have to ask. If we want more torque or a burst of speed to pass when we're in 5th on the highway, we can drop it down to 4th, crank up the rpms, and pass quicker? Once we pass and move back in front (or not) do we kick it back up into 5th, maintain speed and bring the rpms back to cruise? Whats the benefit of that over staying in 5th and giving it more twist?

If your going 80 mph and you down shift, you end up going backwards, or you redline!
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

This thing has got toooo big for me...lol...

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Damn lance, I was gonna get a couple of these things for each of my vehicles (ok, maybe just one for the Rebel) and now you've let everybody know about 'em! Now there's gonna be a run on rocket motors, the supply will go down and the price will go up! Thanks man!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement