Un-noobed - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Un-noobed

In a previous thread one of our dear freinds asked me if i was a NOOB.
I replied in another thread that i was not a NOOB but kinda was, which is very conflictive.
When does a NOOB become UN-NOOBED?
This is me;
I have lived in 2 countries over the last 42 years and have drove thousands of miles on both sides of the road in cars and vans, but not on a bike, except i rode a Yamaha pasola 50 cc moped when i was 17 in England .
I racked up about 10,000 miles on the moped.
I have had 2 other bikes in 3 years and have placed 60,000 miles on them, 30 each, so approx 20,000 per season.
That said, I am NOO to the NOOB word, and would i still be a NOOB or have i graduated to UN-NOOBED?

Last edited by Mastertech; 01-29-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:11 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertech View Post
In a previous thread one of our dear freinds asked me if i was a NOOB.
I replied in another thread that i was not a NOOB but kinda was, which is very conflictive.
When does a NOOB become UN-NOOBED?
This is me;
I have lived in 2 countries over the last 42 years and have drove thoudands of miles on both side of the road in cars and vans, but not on a bike, except i rode a Yamaha pasola 50 cc moped when i was 17 in England .
I racked up about 10,000 miles on the moped.
I have had 2 other bikes in 3 years and have placed 60,000 miles on them, 30 each, so approx 20,000 per season.
That said, I am NOO to the NOOB word, and would i still be a NOOB or have i graduated to UN-NOOBED?
I would say you have long since graduated from a NOOB as a rider, but riders of ten years or more might say different. Maybe others will chime in a give their opinion of when the transformation from NOOB to NON-NOOB takes place.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I can not say you are a noob when it comes to riding..but you come off as one on this forum. Perhaps more of a "Forum Noob" if anything.

i.e. There are 20 diffrent threads in the page "General Discussion" here. Out of those, 10 were started by you. Some of them should have been placed in the proper sub headings...like "Are bikes safe?" likely could have gone under Motorcycle Safety, your post on tires should have be put in "Wheels, Suspension and Brakes" and the post on Hardcases under "Equipment"

Your post on "what oil to use?" although meant to be funny, showed that you did not even see the one already there.

Your post on Winter riding really has been addressed in sevral other posts, and given the time you have been a member, I am surprised you could not deduce the needed info from them.

Not saying there is anything wrong with asking questions, but lately you seem a bit bored and the questions seem a bit simplistic.

So , looking at all this , you do come accross as being a bit of a "Noob" and again, there is nothing wrong there...but I would try to put some of your threads in a more proper location...(and you are not alone in doing this, so don't feel you did something wrong)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Yes thats very true knife, i have failed to index the topics correctly, my bordom has led me to the 'General discussion' everytime. I'd settle for 'Forum noob'.
No more silly questions that i already know the answers too, just trying to get a feel on this motorcyling stuff, too much coffee shop talk getting me paronoid, trying to get some wider opinions.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 AM

maybe not in your case but i have to disagree about the period of noobness..... i see it this way... you can be riding for 10 years and when i see you riding down the road in a t-shirt and shorts with no helmet doing 85 on one wheel.... you are a noob... and a dead one at that... wether you have been riding for 1 year or 10 years... if you ride responsibly i consider you to be experienced.. and i hate the whole noob thing to begin with... some 10 year old sitting infront of his computer with much too much time on his hands comes up with a slang word to call someone who is inexperienced and it sticks and is applied to everything.... to me noob is a degrating term.... just my opinion
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 05:29 PM

Even though I have been ridin for more than 10 years and started back last year after a loong break - I am still learning and always will - like being here on the forum I have learnt a lot more reading from peoples experiences and adapting them - If it needs a name lol Id rather be a NOOB than be a overconfident SNOB - Cheers

2005 VN750
Not a Virgin but has a Halo
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Giggity!

Garage
My simple thought on the "noob" is even if you have thousands of miles under your belt they were not on this bike. Hense you are new to the vulcan but not riding. & I kinda agree with the "forum" thing but I have no room to talk. I was "noob" once.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Geez, it is just a word. It's not like being called an ******* or ****-head.
I had someone here get all ruffled because I called them a FNG. On some forums you get that designation printed with everyone of your replies until you reach a set number of posts.
I know some folks simply do not like "cuss" words...which I find pretty ****ing funny.

"Noob" is 'short' for "Newbie"...odd how in our language we can slang-slang.Perhaps we can vote on what you all like better. I always liked "Nimrod".
How about VB? (Virgin Biker)

I don't think a "long time" rider who goes down the road "in a t-shirt and shorts with no helmet doing 85 on one wheel" is a "noob"...they are called "idiots", or the more biker term "Squid"
Noob just means "new" so don't start using it improperly and don't get offended over it if it in fact applies.
I do agree that there is no set point when you loose that title, but I'd say you have to been riding a bike for at least a year before you can start arguing over it.

Much like studying Karate, you are always a student, as you can always learn more throughout your career....so in the grand scheme of things we all , to some extent, will always be "Noobs". But lets not get transcendental about it, as it only confuses the language more.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 01-31-2009 at 12:08 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 07:31 AM

We have a saying in aviation: "There are 2 types of pilots, old and bold." I think that certainly applies to bikers as well...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 07:58 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

....but there are NO old and bold pilots....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement