Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Winter riding

6K views 57 replies 16 participants last post by  Fire Ant 
#1 ·
How many of us ride in the winter. Today was a bit nippy, supposed to be 18 degrees in the morning, should i or should i not be doing this?:doh:

#2 ·
Go for it! As long as you have appropiate gear you should be fine. :beerchug:

#3 ·
You may not miss the body parts that freeze and fall off! (But then again, you might!)

#5 ·
How many of us ride in the winter. Today was a bit nippy, supposed to be 18 degrees in the morning, should i or should i not be doing this?:doh:

Why would you want to ride in 18 degree weather?

That is the question you have to ask yourself. Did you not see the post about "Riding your own ride" ?

If you REALY are attracted to the idea of riding in winter...do it.
If it sounds stupid to to you....don't do it.

KM

#7 ·
My post here:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9689

"The important issue here is you should ride your own ride...don't let anyone tell you how fast or slow you should be going, you have to make that desicion yourself."

this is not just about speed, but everything else too.

I personaly do not like to ride unless the temps are above freezing (32F) beacause of the dangers of "black ice".

KM

#9 ·
As someone else said, as long as you have the gear, there's no reason not to. Before I had surgery, I was riding to work every day when it was right around freezing when I left the house. Personally, I enjoy riding alongside the lake watching the steam come off of it as the sun is rising. That being said, I live in Texas where the danger of black ice isn't so great. KM has a very good point in that if you live somewhere where black ice is a significant threat, you may not want to ride. Normally, the black ice in this part of Texas occurs more from those people who leave their poorly-aimed sprinkler systems on overnight, coating the road in water before the temperature drops...

--FA

#11 ·
I really love winter riding (I am a liar too)... I will ride most any cold day that is 60*F or over...:rockon:... (The devil made me do it)...:)...
But then I guess I am old and my blood is too thick and don't circulate like it does in you younger folks...
But, hey believe it or not, it got up to 72*F here in Winchester Tn. Tuesday and I did ride, light jacket & fingerless gloves, enjoyed...:)...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#14 ·
Hey Old Dog,
what do you expect the "average" weather to be like near you at the end of March/beginning of April? I'm putting together a family trip to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park...but I'm draggin my bike behind the cage in hopes of hitting the Dragon on one of those days. :smiley_th The Blue Ridge Parkway looks nice,too!

#12 ·
The winter here in CA is not like it anywhere else. Yeah - we had a bad cold snap and a couple weeks of rain, but now it's getting up to the mid-70s again during the day, maybe low 50s at night. I don't ride if it's raining or if the morning temp gets below 50 ish. Kinda takes the fun out of it for me being cold.

#25 ·
#30 ·
Wellllll, its supposed to get about 60* here tomorrow (Sun.), that is getting close to my riding temp., very close if it is sunny...:)...

#37 ·
Ohhhhhhh, Nooooooo, I live in Black Jack Country...:)...
Maybe y'all need to make the Lynchburg Cycle meet some time!!!!...:rockon:...

#42 ·
Did get in a fair little ride today it got up to 62* and the ride was about 90 mi, managed to make it through Lynchburg and you were right, it was dry, not a drop of rain nor a cloud in the sky...:)...

#43 ·
Good man, did a 100 today myself, it's 29 here going to be 18 in the morning, not sure how the gloves will do, but oh well, coffeee will be on when i get there!
Hey, it's supposed to be beautiful all week here in the Great plaines, Nebraska, hope it's nice down there for you.

#46 ·
Had a real nice ride before the Super Bowl yesterday. Racked up about 200 miles. I found horse country about 45 minutes north of me. The ups and downs, twists and turns make it a great ride and the scenery make it a beautiful one. Had to watch out for the meltwater in the lower areas. Took the highways home to get back to the girlfriend I left alone and was happy to learn that at 100 mph, Sable has plenty of twist left. Only hit 100 for about a mile (less than a minute) on a flat straightaway but it still felt good. She felt stable, like she treats 45 mph the same as 100. I love that thing, why didn't I get one 10 years ago?

#47 ·
Absolutely beautiful day here yesterday. Many bikes out on the road. Wife asked me where I was going, and told her I didn't know. Took a FM road for nice ride. Smooth pavement all the way, a few twists and turns. Mostly flat, but hey, that's the norm for around here. Straights were mostly 75-80 mph.

Had to stop for gas, so figured that was a good point to turn around. If there aren't any plans for me this weekend, I'll go back and keep going. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.