Is bike safe? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Is bike safe?

I have never had a close call, have i been lucky or is a motorcyle dangerous?
I ride with proffesional habits, but i have heard some horror stories about car drivers pulling out in front of them?
Is 90 miles per hour too fast on the open plaines.

Last edited by Mastertech; 01-28-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertech View Post
I have never had a close call, have i been lucky or it a motorcyle dangerous?
I do not intend to scare, but in my opinion, a bike is dangerous. A cage is dangerous too. However it is safer than a bike. Again that is my opinion.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 PM

i have only ridden 4500miles on a bike... my cousin, grandpa, and 3 uncles have all wiped out, hit deer, or been hit by a cager. I have almost hit deer (almost meaning within 20 feet in front of me at speeds over 45 mph) at least a dozen times, and I have been almost pulled into at least that many times... Driving on US131 and the 's curve' in Grand rapids is fun, but not in rush hour traffic. I have not been in an accident yet, but I know it;s MUCH more dangerous than driving a cage.... but the enjoyment s worth the risk for me right now...

'99 VN750 with 8900 miles and growing (3,111 when I bought it 03-22-08)
Ear shave with Unipods
Drilled mufflers and degoat
TOC springs
N/C Street shield EX windshield
Jumbo Saddleman Highway Studded saddlebags
Willie and Max Saddlebag mounting kit
License plate turn signals
Home made sissy bar
Luggage Rack from Scoop
http://youtube.com/user/99vulcan750

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Not sure what you are asking here. Are motorcycles dangerous?

Uh, yes they can be. The fact that you have not been injured yet by no means makes you immune.
I have been riding over 30 years now and the only time I crashed or hurt myself seriously was on the racetrack.

"Close calls"? Had a few, but I'm still here and in one piece.

However I could die tommorow if some asswipe crosses the yellow line.

If it is news to you that cars can pull out in front of you , it says to me that you are not even thinking about it and perhaps are just lucky to be alive. Knowing all the dangers you face makes you prepare for them better.

Sorry, but seems like a trollish question to me....where you been?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Just getting opinions gentlemen!
My question is; Do you consider yourself to be in more danger on a bike? Some people dont think so, they say you can sway quicker and avoid.
Knife, is 85-90 mph too fast on open road, say 5 mile straight? A freind of mine sayes , no more that 55 mph!
These are solid questions.

Last edited by Mastertech; 01-28-2009 at 09:24 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Just getting opinions gentlemen!
My question is; Do you consider yourself to be in more danger on a bike? Some people dont think so, they say you can sway quicker and avoid.
Anyone that thinks they are safer on a motorcycle compared to a car is an idiot. You might under some specific circumstances be able to avoid crashing into something due to the small size of a bike, but no one gets to pick which accident they will/might end up having.
Bikes do not have airbags, seatbelts, or a ton of steel to absorb impact. They do not, as some think, stop faster , and in most cases can not "out handle" a car.
You can drive a large car into a brick wall at 40 mph and walk away from it. If you are on a bike...you are going to die. Simple as that.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I lived a rich life. Raced a sportscar in my younger days. Got a pilots license and had many wonderful hours behind the yoke of Piper Cherokee. Have an open water scuba certificate. Fished out miles into the Atlantic in all kinds of weather. So now I have been riding a bike for about 15 years. Wiped out and broke a couple of ribs (my fault) but I'm still here. Hopefully will be here for a while. Nothing says that I won't be hit by a car crossing Fifth Avenue in NYC tomorrow. Life is full of chances. You can taste it and look back with a smile or lock yourself in a house and hope a plane doesn't crash into it.

Stop worrying about the perils you can't do anything about and spend your time thinking about the next experience that's going to put a smile on your face. At the end of the road it's about where you've been and what you've done that's going to put a smile on your face. Keep your mind sharp and you'll finish the trip as best you can.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Thats a good point there knife, Whats the fastest one should ride on a five mile straight away,no side turns etc, ive used full throttle quite often,6500 rpm, is that being foolish, or fun riding? On average about 80mph, reading 85 on clock.

Last edited by Mastertech; 01-28-2009 at 09:36 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Wink Life is not a dress rehearsal

I lived a rich life. Raced a sportscar in my younger days. Got a pilots license and had many wonderful hours behind the yoke of Piper Cherokee. Have an open water scuba certificate. Fished out miles into the Atlantic in all kinds of weather. So now I have been riding a bike for about 15 years. Wiped out and broke a couple of ribs (my fault) but I'm still here. Hopefully will be here for a while. Nothing says that I won't be hit by a car crossing Fifth Avenue in NYC tomorrow. Life is full of chances. You can taste it and look back with a smile or lock yourself in a house and hope a plane doesn't crash into it.

Stop worrying about the perils you can't do anything about and spend your time thinking about the next experience that's going to put a smile on your face. At the end of the road it's about where you've been and what you've done that's going to put a smile on your face. Keep your mind sharp and you'll finish the trip as best you can.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Thats a good point there knife, Whats the fastest one should ride on a five mile straight away,no side turns etc, ive used full throttle quite often,6500 rpm, is that being foolish, or fun riding? On average about 80mph, reading 85 on clock.
Is that all it makes at full throttle??? If so it needs help. It should run over 100 mph. And no it is not foolish as long as it is not an all time thing. We all want to see what our bikes do.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement