Noob introduction and some questions - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 PM

Garage
Welcome to the group. I've been thinking of degoating before I consider changing the pipes. However, if you really want to change them I recommend to go on youtube and search for Vulcan 750 Cobra, Vance and Hines or Jardine. You can get an idea of the sounds.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Smile

Welcome Krussdog and happy birthday. You wound up with a great present. The oil leak needs to be looked at and taken care of. As far as the pipes, you may want to look up the thread on drilling the baffles before you put down the bucks for new pipes. If you drill the baffles it may be loud enough for you.

Whatever you do, ride safe. Good luck.

Gemguy
Fred
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemguy View Post
Welcome Krussdog and happy birthday. You wound up with a great present. The oil leak needs to be looked at and taken care of. As far as the pipes, you may want to look up the thread on drilling the baffles before you put down the bucks for new pipes. If you drill the baffles it may be loud enough for you.

Whatever you do, ride safe. Good luck.

Gemguy
Fred
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll definitely look at drilling the baffles first. I may have figured out the oil issue. This morning I looked at the sight glass for the oil and it is way above the max line. Actually I can't even tell what level the oil is at its so high. My dad said he had a friend who builds custom choppers look at it before he gave it to me. The engine was cold and had been sitting over night and was resting on the kickstand when I looked at the sight glass. Is this the right time and way to check the oil level? If this could be the problem can I just use an oil siphon to take out the excess oil? I am an ase certified auto technician but don't have much motorcycle experience so all help is appreciated.

PS. I'll post pics asap. I'm a full time college student and have a full time job so time is a luxury for me but I want to figured this out.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

To check oil level, you want the bike sitting straight/level. NOT on the side stand.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:17 PM

You didn't say when it had been done last (or I missed it) but an oil change wouldn't be a bad investment.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:01 PM
The Professor

As hyper suggested check the oil on the center on level ground. It should fall somewhere between the H and L mark on the cover.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to put it up on the center stand and check the oil when I get the chance. I think I should probably bring it to a shop to have it serviced anyways. It will be interesting when I bring it to a shop and ask for a first service on an 03. Do you guys have any clue where I can download a service and owner's manual for it? I'd like to know what exactly is being done to it when I bring it somewhere for service.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 04:19 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussdog46 View Post
I'm going to put it up on the center stand and check the oil when I get the chance. I think I should probably bring it to a shop to have it serviced anyways. It will be interesting when I bring it to a shop and ask for a first service on an 03. Do you guys have any clue where I can download a service and owner's manual for it? I'd like to know what exactly is being done to it when I bring it somewhere for service.
If you are going to get service done at a Stealership be prepaired for a healthy bill. I would call first and ask them how much and what will be performed. Have them put it in writing and have them acknowledge you will only authorize said repairs. They have a habbit of charging you for work you did not authorize. Considering the age of the scoot have the coolant flushed and filled. below is a link to download a service manual at the bottom of the page.

http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/Products.htm

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

If you are a certified auto mechanic, you shouldn`t have any trouble working on this bike. Download the Kawi manual, check out the Vulcan verses and ask questions here and you should be able to service everything just fine. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome krussdog. I would buy a manual and do as much of the servicing as you can. The manual will lead you through it step by step and if you have any questions, the folks here are more than willing to help. I've seen them solve problems on bikes they've never laid hands on when mechanics that worked on the bike couldn't figure it out. Working on your bike will save you some bucks, get you more familiar with your ride, and you will know it was done right. No one is going to be as meticulous as you are with getting it right because IT ISN'T THEIR BIKE! Knowing the workings of your bike can be very helpful on those occasions when something breaks miles from anywhere.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement