Did you WANT a Vulcan, or end up with a Vulcan? - Page 7 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian J View Post
I had previously owned it's little sister. The EN454LTD. That got stolen and I did get the remains back. It was absolutely trashed. Although only a small bike it was fun to ride, so I decided I wanted the bigger version.... VN750. They're nice bikes to ride. Not too fast but not too slow. Some areas of it are awkward to work on, but they're also fairly simple to work on. A good all rounder me thinks.
Mowercycle

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 01:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by One1 View Post
Seems like the majority of owners say they only got it because (given to me, cheap cause it had an issue, etc).

The first one i got (of 6 total now several years later) wasnt my first choice. I felt it looked dated, and even knowing it rode like a dream i had issues overlooking it's 1985 cosmetic design. I bought it anyway from my uncle (his second Vulcan cause he loves how they ride and chose it both times). After accepting its flaws, I've grown to prefer it over anything else for it's outstanding comfort and attitude on the road. Nowadays I won't be without one, though i own other things, as it's my comfort zone where i know its limits and take it to them every chance i get. It doesn't have enough power to get away from me, but plenty to always be in the right mood to boogie. Legendary comfort, and all these years later i do like the way it looks.

What about you? Were you looking for something else when the Vulcan came along?
First of all, sorry for arriving late to the thread, just joined a few weeks ago.

Long story short: BOTH!

In 1987, I owned a 1981 Yahama XS650 Heritage Special, and yes I kick myself in the ass for not keeping it. It was in great shape. My father had bought a 1986 Suzuki Savage 650. (Seems I remember there being a huge difference in the price of Insurance if you went over 700cc). Anywho, that era, late 80's was the advent of the Metric Cruisers. And although I still have a fondness for the Suzuki Savages and Intruders, they were never as cool, in my mind, as the magazine ads I saw for the 750 Vulcans. Something about them just did it for me. I never got to own one though.

Enter: Life as we know it. Adulthood, responsibility, career, kids, etc.. No more riding for me for the next 30 years.

Fast forward to 2016: Single again at 46. Depressed. Kids grown. Empty Nest. Mid-Life Crisis. Start "thinking" about riding again. Hell, maybe even dating again? Women love motorcycles, right? Began looking for a running, minimal issues, cheap, motorcycle, any brand, any model. I'm an IT guy, my baby brother is a certified Harley/Buell mechanic. But then again, he seems to NEVER be available when I need him. Bike search on Craigslist, other online resources, local Wheels and Deals catalogs, etc.. Everything cheap is either "for parts only" or a project.

Fast forward again to several months ago: While scrolling through copious amounts of Honda Shadows, or scam ads for insanely cheap Harleys, I saw an ad for a 2001 vn750, black and silver, obviously, for $1500. Went to go look at it, and despite everything the fellow had written on Craigslist about how great it ran, he couldn't get it start! There was a puddle of some kind of fluid under it, and it was SIGNIFICANTLY more scratched up and dented than in the pictures of the ad. But it was a Vulcan. So I told him that if he could get it running, I would still buy it. Seeing one in the flesh, figuratively speaking, had rekindled my initial attraction to them. Never heard from him again.

So, mid-March this year, when all seemed lost, another Vulcan popped up on Craigslist. 2003 vn750 A19, Luminous Vintage Red and Greystone. Seller said showroom condition. Went to go look at it, and he wasn't far from wrong. A few tiny things his failing eyesight didn't pick up on, but no deal breakers. He originally posted it for $2150, but no one wanted it, so he dropped the price to $1850 when I saw it.
He let me roll it out of the garage into the sunshine, even more beautiful, all stock, unmolested. He had become cynical from a few "joy riders" before me, kids just wanting to ride it. I handed him my cash in the bank envelope as a security deposit, and took it up the road. Ran perfect, looked great. Came back and we went to the DMV for him to surrender his tags, notarize the title, and take my money. While waiting behind him, bought insurance on my smartphone app, and titled it in my name that day and rode it home.

So it fit my criteria, cheap, running, very few to no issues, BUT it was also a Vulcan which I had wanted since the late 80's.

My girl is OEM stock, except a small windscreen, and totally unmolested. And I struggle daily with keeping her that way, or tinkering a little bit. "If it ain't broke, don't FIX it." However, reading this forum, I keep thinking that SOME mods actually make the bike better. So I may finally cave in and start tinkering, who knows?

Some people ask, my coworkers for example, WHY an old Vulcan? Why not something new? My answer is usually, all Classic bikes were once new too. Taking care of, or restoring an old bike, is how they become Classics. Besides, Kawasaki didn't manufacture Vulcan 750s for 22 years because they were pieces of crap!! Now shut up and go back to listening to your Microsoft Zune!! LOL.
One1 and roadpouring like this.
post #63 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 04:32 PM

I had a harley road king, and I wanted to learn how to fix bikes. So I bought one that hadn't ran in 20 years for $300. From there I have bought another one, and a GS550. I think they are ugly as hell stock, and look dated, but I think mine looks cool. It is almost a bobber, but not quite. Definitely an aggressive stance.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?

post #64 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 12:22 PM
Grumpy Old Man

My first VN was just a bike I bought, however I sold it and a few years later I found myself wanting another. So… I bought another intentionally & on purpose.

Grumpy “Old” Man
post #65 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 04:31 PM

I ended up with mine. Long time rider with a multitude of different bikes. My last ride was a 2006 Suzuki M109R. A real torque monster! Fun to ride but more than a handful for a laid back cruiser kind of rider. My wife finally convinced me to sell it, fearing that I would end up killing myself on it! I was bike-less for five years, but the itch to ride never leaves you. So I went looking for a middle weight cruiser. Saw the Vulcan on CraigsList and went to check it out. 2006, original owner with only 4700 miles. Nice fellow, hardley rode it much, but he did take good care of it. Not a nick or scratch or speck of rust or dirt any where, the bike was literally like brand new, with hard bags, windshield and highway pegs. He wanted good money for it, $3150. I forked over $3000 cash and rode it home. No regrets, I love this bike. It's perfect for me, smooth shifting, comfortable and much easier to handle than the big heavy bikes I've owned previously. Yes I have to shift more and it doesn't pull off the line like a hot rod, but I know I'll keep it upright and just enjoy the ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement