Did you WANT a Vulcan, or end up with a Vulcan? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 03:54 PM
eric

I rode for 35 years and built my brother a bike 30 years ago. Now he has 5 and I haven't ridden in 15 years. Last time I was at his house he presented me, out of the blue, with an amazing barn find; 1985 VN750 with 12,000km (7,500 miles) in amazing shape.

It arrives at my house in 2 days and has been completely gone over and is ready to rock. I'm a naked, standard bike guy, starting with BSA, Norton, etc in the 60's and moving to standard Japanese iron before hanging it up, so a cruiser is a foreign animal to me. I'm really looking forward to making an acquaintance with this wee beastie. The looks are what an old, creaky curmudgeon like me (70) is kind of familiar with, so this should be fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:42 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
I rode for 35 years and built my brother a bike 30 years ago. Now he has 5 and I haven't ridden in 15 years. Last time I was at his house he presented me, out of the blue, with an amazing barn find; 1985 VN750 with 12,000km (7,500 miles) in amazing shape.

It arrives at my house in 2 days and has been completely gone over and is ready to rock. I'm a naked, standard bike guy, starting with BSA, Norton, etc in the 60's and moving to standard Japanese iron before hanging it up, so a cruiser is a foreign animal to me. I'm really looking forward to making an acquaintance with this wee beastie. The looks are what an old, creaky curmudgeon like me (70) is kind of familiar with, so this should be fun!
Sweet.a black engined 750.would you mind doing an introduction in the newbie section? thank you

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:36 AM

Garage
nice bike, you stole it

post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 10:30 AM
eric

I believe stealing this bike is an understatement. My brother read the VN's major problems and had the shop prepping it address them all. They relocated the rectifier, installed a more powerful updated stator, greased the shaft universals and then replaced the pipes and radiator. Because the bike sat for a while, there was a little rust in the tank, so the interior was cleaned and then epoxy coated.

Having a big brother like that, priceless! And no, guys, you can't adopt him!

Oh yes, supplied a new Spitfire windscreen in the box and a bike cover - still pinching myself here.
DACataldo and T-Bone like this.

Last edited by eric; 08-06-2017 at 10:32 AM.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:10 PM

My 1st bike a 'lil Vulcan 545cc...'bout 12 years ago.Then a Shadow (same style),then a Vulcan 1400cc (engine seized),then a '91 Vulcan (dropped off my trailer 10mph...not pretty) now a '93 Vulcan sometimes runs good...sometimes not so much.Bought it cause I liked the style,cruiser... and the price.That Pic....theres a Vulcan in there somewhere!!(Mine!!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17 Bikefest Vulcan.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	40241  
DACataldo likes this.
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 PM

Kind of both. I ended up with my VN750, but I was looking for a similar bike from another maker of my 1984 Yamaha Virago 750 from back in the day. Specifically I really wanted a Honda V45 or V65 until I realized they didn't make them but a few years; there were no new versions of them. My VN750 appeared one day in an ad and the rest is history!

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Odometer @ October, 2019: 14,200
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:40 PM

Garage
I bought it from a co-worker. Wasn’t in the market for a bike, last time I rode was back in high school 10 years ago. Biking wasn’t his thing and he knew I used to ride, asked if I wanted it and ended up selling me the ‘05 for $1,200 with only 9k on it. It’s been an ongoing project since I’ve had it to fit my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:13 PM

My first street bike was a leftover VN750. I was told it was a big bike for my first ride. I'm really good at not listening to people. I've been somewhat lucky with that approach thus far. I sold the VN750 and bought a used VN900 from a guy in TX. He owned a golf cart modification company. I got a great deal from him. The VN750 was long gone. I found another 750 on the cheap and convinced my girl it was a great bike for the city. We didn't live anywhere near a 'city'. Oh well, I sold it. I still have that bike...not her. I love my VN750. Knowing the bike so well gives the rider the impression of being part of the bike. It's an amazing feeling. I don't feel that way on my VN900 or recent BMW R1100RS.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 PM

Garage
Ok this old thread has been resurrected. I’ll play along.

I was looking for a starter bike (cheap enough my wife would allow it, ha!) and came across the 85 VN700 with a purple frame and “fresh rebuild” on the motor and a pile of parts plus a complete parts bike! That got me started looking at VN700/750’s since I had a parts bike. Found the 99 and when I got it home had it cranked within a couple hours. The previous owner was a crack head and in prison but thankfully didn’t have it long enough to really mess it up. He did gut the baffles and put the exhaust back on with original gaskets. Also a few dents on the gas tank, and tires so bald they were like racing slicks. Each purchase was $500 each. So for $1000 I have a good running 99, a project 85, and a parts bike plus extra parts.

After some tweaking and several small parts from the parts bike, i’m driving the 99 all the time. Love it. But would like for it to be longer, I feel like my knees stay too bent up all the time and my butt kills me after about 20-30 min of riding. But this is my first motorcycle ever, i’m Way more used to atv’s than 2 wheelers. Now after buying 2 bikes, the 85 looked great but has a strange coolant leak and my wife is deathly afraid of 2 wheels so I have to find her a trike! Figures...

OH, and if I knew then what I know now, probably would have passed up on the VN750. Just for the PITA carbs alone...

-2016 Indian Springfield
Chieftain bars
Roadmaster heated seat

-1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Ear shaved
Mufflers removed / 38/140 + 2 shims
Relay coil mod
Pick-up coil mod
Emissions removed
Lowered rear
Rear blinkers located in tail light housing
Petcock gutted

- Wife's: 2018 Can-am Spyder F3 Limited Pearl White

Last edited by lugnut1009; 04-10-2018 at 07:04 AM.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:44 AM
2014 KLR 650!

I had $1500 and Craigslist had a vn750 so obviously it was meant to be.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement