Did you WANT a Vulcan, or end up with a Vulcan? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 05:41 PM

For me I just sort of ended up with the Vulcan. I had a Honda Shadow 500 and the frame cracked and twisted on it one day, it was apparently rusting out internally. My dad had just bought a VN900 Classic and was trying to sell his 750 so when he saw my bike break he offered to let me buy the 750 for half his asking price and just pay him when I could. Now I don't plan of getting rid of her until I just plain wear her out or one of my daughters decides to take up riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 11:55 AM
Boy Howdy !!

I never even knew I owned a Vulcan, not for the first month anyhow. what happened was a good friend of mine started a used car business and for some unknown reason he needed to put the bike in someone's name, well around a month or so he tells me this and shows me the bike, now I'm 5'6 so touching the ground on most bikes was a problem the Vulcan solved that and seeing how it was already in my name already I bought it on the spot. I have nothing but good things to say about the bike, runs nice, looks good and even though it's a little older than most out there I''m thinking well so am I.

VN-700 / Ca. model
M.F.G. Date / 11/84
Vulcan off the line / #003216
Mile's / # 06288.2
A.F.T. battery
New stater
New starter
Rewired bike with 18 gage
NGK DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs
New gas lines
Rebuild carburetor with new O-rings
Rebuilt cooling system
Replaced master cylinder glass
Trimmed base on rear turn signal's

=========================

The Greatest tragedy
is indifference
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 11:04 AM

I was shopping around after taking my MSF riders course, and figured a budget of $1500 cash was reasonable after seeing all the garbage that was available for finance used

Saw a sweet '85 Honda 750 Magna, but the guy flaked on me on the weekend I went down to Orlando to buy it. Found a local scooter shop that had a few used bikes for good prices. I test rode a Honda Shadow 750, but didn't like the hard-mounted engine, stance, or the flaky electronics. Shop had a Shadow 1500 for the same price, but it had the same issues and I just didn't think I needed a bike that big

The Vulcan was sitting in the corner. It had saddlebags already on it and the built-in small sissybar, so it ticked all the boxes for me, and I liked the way it rode on the test drive a lot better than the Shadow even though the carbs were gummed up and the thing ran halfassed, so I bit the bullet and went for it. Rode it home that day and started working on it as soon as I got it back home to Jax.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)

post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:27 PM

I was looking at buying a good, fairly cheap second hand bike and as such, checking out listings for Vulcans, Intruders, Shadows and the like. Although I always wanted to have a HD (still want it, I think, eventhough really happy with the 750), they are way more expensive (even second hand) here in the Netherlands (at least $7000 for a second hand I'd like) and I came across the VN 750 I now own.

Love the fact that it has two front brake discs and shaft drive and mine has low mileage as well (from first owner); great value for a lot of bike. Great to get mileage under my belt given that I've only started to ride motorcycles just now (at 45). And who knows, I might keep this one forever...
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:41 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Needed a cheap first bike around a grand. Ended up being a blessing in disguise as learning to wrench on it has been quite beneficial.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
Needed a cheap first bike around a grand. Ended up being a blessing in disguise as learning to wrench on it has been quite beneficial.
amen to that! wrenching is such a valuable skill, I wouldn't be half the mechanic I am today without all the tests the Vulcan gave me

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:34 PM

Garage
I was looking for a bike and really liked the look of the shadow, so I was scanning craigslist daily to find one at the right price. Nothing ever came along, but I eventually ran across a post for a vn750, which I'd never heard of before. Looked it up and liked what I saw. Bought it in good working condition for less than I ever could have found a shadow.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I guess an interesting question to add to this discussion would be. ..

Knowing what you know now, and have experienced with owning the Vulcan, if you could go back in time for a do over...would you still have picked this bike?
ubertalldude likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
I guess an interesting question to add to this discussion would be. ..

Knowing what you know now, and have experienced with owning the Vulcan, if you could go back in time for a do over...would you still have picked this bike?
I still don't know the answer to that question... hahaha

I probably would have, this bike is a lot of fun and has taken well to my modifications.

Maybe that Shadow 1500 would've been more fun...

post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:21 PM
GDI

I wanted one--just bought it Saturday!

I've been riding different motorcycles for quite a while. I even had an '86 Vulcan 750 between 1991-1996 or so. Then I had kids, and there was less time for riding, the bike sat, and well--eventually it got sold, and I didn't have a bike for a few years. That didn't last though, and I've had quite a number of different bikes since then. I've tried the 1400 Intruder and the 1100 Shadow Spirit, but sold both of those for various reasons. Right now my "main ride" is a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere. There's really nothing that bike can't do. . . or so I thought.

My son (23 yo) has recently taken an interest in learning to ride, so I picked up an '86 Kawasaki 454. It was in pretty good cosmetic condition, but it needed lots of maintenance. I bought it from the original owner, and he had left it sitting for a number of years. So, I ended up putting another $500 into it, which isn't really that much considering all the parts I replaced (pretty much all rubber parts--tires, hoses, a couple switches, filters, and the like). Then I got to thinking--this bike is fun and all, but what would be even better? Well, the answer was obvious (to me anyway)--a 750 Vulcan! Yeah, I wanted something just a little bigger with the same liquid cooling, only a little more room, a little more hp, and hydraulic valves.

So, I'm looking it over now. I got an '03 with 16,000 miles on 'er. She's got a couple of leaks. I've got some 0-rings on order for the spark-plug well, so we'll see if that can be taken care of. Also went through the shaft drive last night with the Honda Moly 60 paste. I have to say, I've had my share of shaft drives over the years (Intruder, Shadow(s!), ST1100, Super Tenere), but I've never seen one that was worse in terms of how dried and rusty the splines were. I'm glad that I got in there and got that lubed in time.

So, this is ending up being more of an introductory post than anything, but yeah--I cross-shopped a couple of other bikes (Star Bolt, Road Star, Harley Dynas), and just decided to go with the Vulcan. I don't want a big heavy bike, and I've always been partial to liquid-cooling. Also, I'm cheap, so that sealed the deal!

My plan is to make up some forwards for the bike as soon as I get the time. I'm just going to have fun with it.

GDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement