Which microphone works best with a cell phone? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Which microphone works best with a cell phone?

I'm looking to have a communication system on my bike, and I'd like to communicate through my phone and use siri to dial a phone number for me. I have my iphone mounted on my handle bars for music and navigation, and I just bought some shure noise-blocking earphones. I'm looking for for either a 3.5 mm or a bluetooth microphone. I have a 3.5 mm extension cable run under my tank already to connect my earphones, and I could get a splitter to connect both the microphone and the earphones. Has anyone done anything like this before? Seems like everything I've seen for sale has a microphone and speakers, but I just want a good microphone. I suppose I could go with one of those systems and just not use the speakers, but that solution doesn't seem ideal. Does anyone have any experience with a throat mic for motorcycle applications? Could a cheap, clip-on microphone work inside my full-face helmet? Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 05:33 PM
Old Fart

Garage
There are companies that sell microphones for bike communication systems, but I don't know any that are iPhone compatible. The issue isn't just the mic itself, most better com systems have built in electronics to cut out other noise (motor, wind)
Your better off really getting something like a SENA Bluetooth unit. Some of these allow you to use your own earbuds. The microphone has noise canceling capability. Your iPhone doesn't need to use SIRI, it should already have voice calling. You touch a button on the device and simple say "Call Fred" and it will dial Fred for you (this of course if your phone has Fred listed as a contact)

It automatically cuts the music you were listening to and makes the call.
I had one of these units made by Cardo Cardo Systems
And it worked flawlessly with my phone. The noise canceling mic worked so well that no one believed I was going down the highway at 75 mph on my bike when I called them.

There are several on the market, but I think SENA is the only one that makes one that you can use your own earbuds with. As it's Bluetooth, you don't need any wiring to the bike. You can even carry on conversation away from your bike (as long as your helmets still on)

https://support.sena.com/hc/en-us/ar...bile_site=true

I'd go this route before trying to wire up my own microphone.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 07-28-2017 at 05:50 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 08:18 PM

Garage
I'm using the SENA SMH-5 Bluetooth unit. Picked up a 2-pack from RevZilla last year for under $200. It's a complete setup with speakers and both boom & wired mics so you can use it with open or full face helmets.

What Knifemaker said about noise cancelling electronics is spot-on. I've been on the phone while cruising at highway speeds and the person on the other end had no idea I was on a bike. You won't get that by just plugging a mic into your phone, the other end will hear all kinds of wind and bike noise, and probably not you...

I think they still have a single unit for under $100 (and other brands besides SENA to chose from). I got the 2-pack so my girlfriend and I could talk to each other. It's def more money than just buying a mic, but worth it. The sound quality for both speech and music is quite good, and the unit is very easy to use. We can each stream music from our own phones, and talk with just a button tap. Battery life is good, I did a 330 mile round trip from northwest NJ to Wildwood and back, in one day. About 8 hours of riding total with music streaming the whole way plus a 5 minute phone call, and it was still going.

1995 VN750 bought used @ 6K miles
2007 VN1600D bought used @ 40K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement