Dumb noob guestions. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Dumb noob guestions.

I know these are dumb questions but i am new to motorcycles. When not driving my bike do i need to turn the petcock to off or does it matter? When should i run fuel stabilizer in my gas tank , I know you should run it when bike is going to be sitting up for a while, but what is considered awhile?

Thanks for the help and excuse my ignorance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 08:22 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

OK, first off, any question you don't know the answer to ISN'T a dumb question.......
Unless you don't ask it!!!!

The fuel is drawn into the carbs by way of vacuum, only when the bike is running.
There is no need to turn the petcock off.

Most here use Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer, fuel system cleaner. It's often suggested to run it every 3 or so tankfuls at about 3 oz per tank.
Exact measurements aren't necessary. Just guesstimate. Too much wont hurt anything.

Most here also recommend NOT using Stabil.

I'd say if you bike is going to sit for more than a month, add atleast 3 oz of Seafoam, take the bike for a ride to get the Seafoam through the system, then park it.

Any other question, just ask.
Most answers can be found using the search function , but that can lead you to so many results that it's sometimes hard to find the answer you're looking for.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
OK, first off, any question you don't know the answer to ISN'T a dumb question.......
Unless you don't ask it!!!!

The fuel is drawn into the carbs by way of vacuum, only when the bike is running.
There is no need to turn the petcock off.

Most here use Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer, fuel system cleaner. It's often suggested to run it every 3 or so tankfuls at about 3 oz per tank.
Exact measurements aren't necessary. Just guesstimate. Too much wont hurt anything.

Most here also recommend NOT using Stabil.

I'd say if you bike is going to sit for more than a month, add atleast 3 oz of Seafoam, take the bike for a ride to get the Seafoam through the system, then park it.

Any other question, just ask.
Most answers can be found using the search function , but that can lead you to so many results that it's sometimes hard to find the answer you're looking for.
very helpful thanks! i would not have not known about using seafoam instead of stabil. thanks again.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Love My Baby

Just a note about your fuel petcock: I turn mine to off when I park my baby in a public place just to possibly confound a would-be thief. They wouldn't get too far before they ran out of gas. Most car/bike thieves in my area are teenagers who probably don't know the particulars of our bikes and might not know to look for the petcock. Other than that, no real need to turn it off routinely.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 PM

And I will bet on Seafoam - see this article and also the video link in the thread
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9619

2005 VN750
Not a Virgin but has a Halo
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyrick View Post
Just a note about your fuel petcock: I turn mine to off when I park my baby in a public place just to possibly confound a would-be thief. They wouldn't get too far before they ran out of gas. Most car/bike thieves in my area are teenagers who probably don't know the particulars of our bikes and might not know to look for the petcock. Other than that, no real need to turn it off routinely.
Yea thats true, probably be a good idea to run a separate kill switch from the battery that is hidden somewhere you could switch it on and off when your not riding. I have thought about doing that in my car when i lived in town here and car theft was high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerGA View Post
And I will bet on Seafoam - see this article and also the video link in the thread
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9619

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 PM

Turn petcock off at end of season, Use 1 can of seafoam in full tank, wont harm it any, run for 5 minutes, shut off petcock and let carbs run dry with engine running , then park it for season, if you wish not to do the winter starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement