Center Stand Methods Anyone? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Center Stand Methods Anyone?

Ok so I live by myself and as such, need to get a tad creative when doing certain things around the house. I got pretty good at listening to that little voice in my head that says, "Nah dude, you're probably gonna die if you go any further." That being said, I wanted to wrench on Sable the other day but couldn't figure a way to get her on the center stand all by my onesies. I tried pinning the stand to the concrete with my left foot, gripping the rear tire with both hands from behind and pulling up and back at the same time. I know I can move her weight by myself but she felt really unstable. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:16 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Ok so I live by myself and as such, need to get a tad creative when doing certain things around the house. I got pretty good at listening to that little voice in my head that says, "Nah dude, you're probably gonna die if you go any further." That being said, I wanted to wrench on Sable the other day but couldn't figure a way to get her on the center stand all by my onesies. I tried pinning the stand to the concrete with my left foot, gripping the rear tire with both hands from behind and pulling up and back at the same time. I know I can move her weight by myself but she felt really unstable. Any suggestions?
Face bike on left side, left hand on left handle bar grip, right hand on seat rail grab bar, push down on centerstand with right foot while lifting seat rail and pulling back on handle bar. put most of you weight on the stand.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:46 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
Face bike on left side, left hand on left handle bar grip, right hand on seat rail grab bar, push down on centerstand with right foot while lifting seat rail and pulling back on handle bar. put most of you weight on the stand.
Yup....and I can get it down with wearing sandles even.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Was hoping someone else would be having this same problem and post the question. LP, I have trouble doing it with help! Bike always felt unstable and like it might go down. Will try this method when I get home.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 01:17 PM

I've never been able to get mine to lift up on the center stand either. I'm not a small guy and my job is quite physical with a lot of heavy lifting. So I'm not a Barny Fife type of character.
Yet I've never come close to getting it up on the stand. Then again, I've not really has a serious reason to want it on the stand either. Whenever I've tried it was just for giggles and not for a real need. Perhaps I haven't had enough motivation to do it yet.
So to this point, the center stand has just been a thingy hanging down from underneath.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Long and Prosper View Post
I've never been able to get mine to lift up on the center stand either. I'm not a small guy and my job is quite physical with a lot of heavy lifting. So I'm not a Barny Fife type of character.
Yet I've never come close to getting it up on the stand. Then again, I've not really has a serious reason to want it on the stand either. Whenever I've tried it was just for giggles and not for a real need. Perhaps I haven't had enough motivation to do it yet.
So to this point, the center stand has just been a thingy hanging down from underneath.
Lifting the bike onto the centerstand can be a huge challenge the first time. I know!! Here are a couple of tips I used with my Vmax and GoldWing which were a lot heavier than the Vulcan:

1. Follow the procedure offered by Lance: ""Face bike on left side, left hand on left handle bar grip, right hand on seat rail grab bar push down on centerstand with right foot ----- (add a step here) while lifting seat rail and pulling back on handle bar. put most of you weight on the stand""

Add this step: while you push down on centerstand with right foot carefully and slowly tilt the bike away from you until you feel the right leg of the centerstand touch the ground to match the left one. This can be un-nerving but it works! The right leg of the center stand will prevent the bike from falling on its right side. This ensures the bike is flat and level as you lift it onto the centerstand.

2. Prior to attempting to lift the bike onto the center stand ride the rear wheel only onto a 12" piece of 2" x 6." If you wish you can cut one end of the wood at an angle/bevel to make it more like a mini-ramp. Using this piece of wood will give you more leverage and make it easier to lift the bike. Caution if you're short: riding onto the wood will make your bike 2" taller.

3. Wear supportive boots/shoes with good grip! Leave the side stand down as a safety measure. Have someone with you to steady the bike if anything goes awry.

I'm 5'7" 150 lbs, 67 years old, not too strong and this works for me. Once you do it the first time everything will click and it will become easier.

Good luck!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrizan View Post
Yup....and I can get it down with wearing sandles even.
I can do it bare foot! lol

Seriously, just like they said. Once you do it you'll be like
5'10" 195lbs. ( not muscle )
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

It doesn't take alot of effort to get the bike on the center stand. Just gotta get the hang of it.

HERE is a video of getting the Vulcan on the center stand.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
I'm pretty sure I get it, I just want to make sure before I try it. What's the "seat rail grab bar"?

Nevermind, I saw the vid. That doesn't seem too tough, I just hope I don't push her over tryin' it.

Thanks fellaz

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 01-20-2009 at 02:11 PM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement