Center Stand Methods Anyone? - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:23 AM

I'll echo what others have said here. It's more about making sure that you put the majority of your weight on your right foot (pressing down on the center stand) and making sure that *both* feet of the center stand are on the ground. When you first take hold of the bike (left hand on the grip, right hand on the grab bar) and press down on the center stand, odds are that only the left foot of the stand will be on the ground. It's a little bit of a leap of faith at first to push the bike *away* from you so that the right foot of the center stand makes contact with the ground. Once both feet of the center stand are on the ground, move all of your weight onto the foot pressing down on the center stand and lift up and a little to the rear with your right hand. The bike should come up and backwards a little bit onto the stand.

I've found that this is also a lot easier if you park the bike facing slightly uphill (I always look for the gas pump where I can do that).

Getting it off the center stand is as easy as hopping onto the bike and rocking it forward.

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:04 PM

I'll try that, i have been using my right foot., thankyou fire.

Last edited by Mastertech; 01-25-2009 at 07:16 PM.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

And you should keep using your right foot! Fire Ant was talking about the left foot [I]of the center stand[I].

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I tried it and it worked like a charm. With this sites track record I'm not surprised. I put my right foot on the center stand, left hand on left handle bar and right hand under the seat. I gently pushed the bike away from me while stretching my left foot out behind me to balance the bike. Once I felt the right foot of the center stand touch the ground I pushed down with all my weight on the center stand and up she went with no complaints. Then I sat on her, coaxed her forward, she jumped off the stand and I applied the front brake. I've done it a few times since then and you're all correct, the technique requires a little faith at first but then you get used to it, I have no problem now. I have a bit more peace of mind on the road now too. I don't fear her braking down 100 miles away and me not being able to work on her out there. My tool box is full and I can get her on the center stand my self so I should be good. Provided its something I can fix of course. Anyway, thanks yet again for all the valuable help.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Giggity!

Garage
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Good to hear ya got it figured out

One thing I always do, after coming down from the centerstand, is to double check and be sure the stand is completely up.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Late to the party

I've put mine up on the center stand many times, after learning the proper technique from a video a year or two ago. Now, what are the gotchas if you are going to put it up on the centerstand on a board to change the tires... spline lube... etc? SOP or does it require a different trick or some help.

'05 VN750 - "Cookie"
My Gallery

post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 PM

Good job! Glad you have the hang of it now. I put it on the center stand every time I fill up for gas, just b/c I feel like I can get more gas into the tank that way.

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:52 PM

LibertyPilot - Hear this - So I am reading this thread and Im wondering does my bike even have a center stand --lol - but true - ever since I had her I have always used the side stand. So I do see she had a center stand and I try my skills on her - man I tell you when I Pushed the center stand down - My heart is pounding as I move her away from me wondering did the other side of the stand touch or is she gonna take a dump , I chickened out and Pulled her back towards me hmmm I shore up some more courage and try it all over again - I feel both legs of the stand in place and I put all my little weight on the stand ---hmmm Now I almost feel I am gonna take a dump along with her - so I stopped - I realised what I was doing wrong - My handle bar was totally to the left - I tried all over again but this time I ensured my handle was straight as well - and wooo I got her on the center stand

2005 VN750
Not a Virgin but has a Halo
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerGA View Post
....and wooo I got her on the center stand
Way to go !! Just takes a little practice!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement