Bike Won't Start - Battery? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Bike Won't Start - Battery?

I have read the verses but still have questions. I'm a newbie.

Bought bike Saturday, had friend drive it to my home. Sunday it had trouble starting but did start. It was trying to turn over and eventually started. It's a learning bike for me. I was trying to move it and I stalled it by not letting the clutch out slowly enough. My fault. After that I couldn't get it started again. It tried to start but I could tell it was getting weaker. Now it doesn't even try anymore. The dash lights don't even come on anymore. I'm pretty sure I killed the battery.

Went and got a charger and charged it overnight (12 hrs) and this morning the dash lights still don't come on. Reading the verses makes it sound like I probably need to look into doing a few things and I have questions:

1.) Should I try to jump start it? I could do so using a portable jumper box or use a non-running car.

2.) To access the battery, is there a good guide somewhere with pictures? I know I have to remove the seat.

3.) Replace the battery (the seller says this battery was purchased last summer). I see one at Advanced Auto Parts - won't let me link it up but it's an AutoCraft brand battery 14L-A2 - is this ok?

4.) Read that Westco or Yuasa sealed maintenance-free battery is the way to go. But where can I find one? I'm anxious to get the bike started and would hate to do a mail-order thing and wait. But will if I should.

5.) Also read that it's good to check/replace the main fuse in case it's a blown fuse deal. I don't think it's that in this case. I think I just wore the battery down.

Thank you for any advice! Pretty sure it's a battery issue just gotta figure out what to do next and how.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 03:57 PM

That's a wet cell battery, and is probably now 100% dead from discharging. It's a crap battery anyhow, so not a huge loss. The Yuasa is the best, but I run an Autocraft Powersport AGM (Advanced Glass Mat) battery which the PO installed in mine, and it has served me very well for the last year.

Go for the Yuasa battery if you can find it, but any AGM battery would be better than the wet cell style you have in there now.

Also, battery access is very easy. Take a 10mm socket with an extension and remove the bolts inside the small compartment behind the passenger backrest. After you lift the seat off, you'll be looking directly at the battery. That same 10mm socket will remove the battery hold down bolt and the terminal bolts so you can remove and replace the battery.

Hope that helps some!

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:07 PM

I see now you were mentioning that you saw that 14L-A2 battery at AAP, not that it was in your bike. What battery is currently in your bike?

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 PM

Not to get all paranoid on you, but when you replace the battery, have a voltmeter handy and see if the bike's charging system is operational. Lots of good troubleshooting info elsewhere in the forum, so I won't rehash it here. If you bought the bike in a private sale, the previous owner *should* have a list of the mods s/he made to the bike, and you'll *definitely* need those before doing much more than basic troubleshooting. It's rare to encounter a VN750 in bone-stock condition -- not impossible, but rare. As many electrical technicians have muttered under their breath, "What manner of creature made a nest in this wiring?". Best you know up-front if possible.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
I see now you were mentioning that you saw that 14L-A2 battery at AAP, not that it was in your bike. What battery is currently in your bike?
Thanks. Are there any good places to find a Yuasa battery like an Autozone type of place or is it mostly online or specialty shops? I do not know what is currently in the bike. I am very un-technical. But I will need to take a look and see. Thank you.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrct View Post
Not to get all paranoid on you, but when you replace the battery, have a voltmeter handy and see if the bike's charging system is operational. Lots of good troubleshooting info elsewhere in the forum, so I won't rehash it here. If you bought the bike in a private sale, the previous owner *should* have a list of the mods s/he made to the bike, and you'll *definitely* need those before doing much more than basic troubleshooting. It's rare to encounter a VN750 in bone-stock condition -- not impossible, but rare. As many electrical technicians have muttered under their breath, "What manner of creature made a nest in this wiring?". Best you know up-front if possible.
Thanks. I do not have a volt-meter or know how to use one. For that I might need some help from a friend if I can find one. This is all very helpful though. Right now my plan is to go to buy that battery I found at Advanced Auto Parts - the battery that isn't the best option but it's the only one I can physically locate. If I can find a better battery I want to get the better option.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:36 PM

Don't buy a wet-cell though! Advance Auto has AGM batteries which are fine. I use one in mine and it hadn't failed me once in the year+ I've had my bike. Get the AGM!

something like this battery

Last edited by ubertalldude; 07-25-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: link to battery
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:59 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
To have a vn750 you either need money or ability. Never own something you can't work on. Since these bikes are electrically demon controlled, not being able to use a voltmeter is like being at the foot of the tallest mountain you can find. Yes you can learn, and you have to. With this bike it isn't an option. Hopefully you will get better with it as you go. It will certainly be a learning experience.

Now, as far as your lights go.... you should be able to turn them on regardless of a discharged cell if you tried to charge it.

(A) you didnt charge it, thought you did.

(B) your bike is in first gear and the neutral light nor headlight will be on. The start kill is keeping you from starting it.
hmrct likes this.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiepop35 View Post
Went and got a charger and charged it overnight (12 hrs) and this morning the dash lights still don't come on.
(...)
2.) To access the battery, is there a good guide somewhere with pictures? I know I have to remove the seat.
Gotta ask the question... The above statements imply you didn't remove the seat to attach the charger, so how *did* you? :-)

Eventually, most people will get a battery charger with a detachable pigtail that, once installed, is accessible to hook up the charger without removing the seat. The "Battery Tender" is a common brand example of what I'm talking about: it has both the detachable pigtail and a set of clips (so the charger can be used on other batteries when it's not attached to the pigtail). You can even purchase extra pigtails to install on your other bikes :-). And don't tell us you're gonna stop at one: they're like Lay's Potato Chips -- no one can eat just one. Actually, in your neck of the woods, that would be Wise Potato Chips.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
Don't buy a wet-cell though! Advance Auto has AGM batteries which are fine. I use one in mine and it hadn't failed me once in the year+ I've had my bike. Get the AGM!

something like this battery
So helpful! Will this fit a 750 though? 2006.

The only one listed on Advanced Auto website that says it fits the vehicle is this one:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement