it's just not right.. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

it's just not right..

Here I am.. sitting at my desk working on my senior thesis paper, looking out the window... Not a cloud in the sky, and the sun is as bright as ever...

Unfortunately, it is 11*F outside (last week it was -17*F). Every time I drive into my garage I see her sitting there alone in front of my truck: lonely, cold, and naked. Her saddlebags are inside the apartment with her tank and fenders. She's been there since November 13, waiting for the warm weather to come, hoping it will be April, and not may, when the roads are clear of road salt and ice/slush. She wonders why she had to switch owners and move to the UP of Michigan from Miami, FL. Alas, it's the sad life of a motorcycle that has to live in the Northern states... From riding everyday for 8 months, only to be replaced by an old Ford ranger for the next 4 months... that's usually grounds for a divorce... But, she hangs on, waiting for that day when I will assemble her and fire her up to take her for a long exciting ride across the Northern country side...

Ok, so I could have just said I miss my motorcycle, but that would have been boring...

For those of you who ride all year long, drive safe and enjoy it! For those of you like me, spring/summer will soon be here and our months of mourning our dear bikes will be over...

'99 VN750 with 8900 miles and growing (3,111 when I bought it 03-22-08)
Ear shave with Unipods
Drilled mufflers and degoat
TOC springs
N/C Street shield EX windshield
Jumbo Saddleman Highway Studded saddlebags
Willie and Max Saddlebag mounting kit
License plate turn signals
Home made sissy bar
Luggage Rack from Scoop
http://youtube.com/user/99vulcan750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

I guess I'm in the middle, but I share your grief...... But still looking forward to some fair and warmer weather......
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 PM

Bummer. I'm in Miami FL and had Black Bess out on the highway today. And I have to tell you it was glorious. Maybe you should consider relocating to where your languishing girl is from.

The only drawbacks is that So. FL is full of flat and straight - and when it's not flat and straight it's straight and flat. Plus in August, due to the heat, you lose about 5lbs of water at every stoplight. But it's pretty sweet mid-winter.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

I like my hills and turns and the trees up here in the Eastern UP, or the back roads in west Michigan back where my parents live, there's too many people in Miami, lol...

'99 VN750 with 8900 miles and growing (3,111 when I bought it 03-22-08)
Ear shave with Unipods
Drilled mufflers and degoat
TOC springs
N/C Street shield EX windshield
Jumbo Saddleman Highway Studded saddlebags
Willie and Max Saddlebag mounting kit
License plate turn signals
Home made sissy bar
Luggage Rack from Scoop
http://youtube.com/user/99vulcan750
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 PM

By the time I get my knee fully rehabilitated, I'm thinking that it will be warm enough for Serenity and I to go on a tour of the Texas hill country. I've already bought the bracket kit (waiting for it to arrive). Once I get the brackets installed, I can measure to see what size saddlebags I can put on her for doing a little touring this year. Gives me motivation to allow the therapists to continue torturing me each week...

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ant View Post
By the time I get my knee fully rehabilitated, I'm thinking that it will be warm enough for Serenity and I to go on a tour of the Texas hill country. I've already bought the bracket kit (waiting for it to arrive). Once I get the brackets installed, I can measure to see what size saddlebags I can put on her for doing a little touring this year. Gives me motivation to allow the therapists to continue torturing me each week...

--FA
Are you going to make the vroc hillcountry ride a fredericksburg??? I went last yr. and plan on it this yr. It was a lot of fun. About 1,000 mile in 4 days.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Vintage bike addict

I hate winter!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 PM

I've wondered what it is like in Michigan in the winter, but I've heard the stories. We had our share of that cold blast everyone else had last week. Here in Northern Virginia it got down to 3 degrees. That is really cold for here. Average high this time of year is about 40 degrees and warm enough for a nice ride, weather permitting. I ride out to a small National Park sometimes twice a week in the winter and have free entrance with a senior pass. The attendants all agree I'm the only senior foolish enough to ride a bike out there the wintertime. I don't try to explain anything. Anyway, a nice ride with winter clothes often is nicely invigorating. Anyway, 99, hang in there, thanks for your thoughts, and good luck on the thesis.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Straight roads are evil

I had to put on my heated gloves today, it was really cold.... must have been down to 60.

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQPlayer View Post
I had to put on my heated gloves today, it was really cold.... must have been down to 60.
Hey EQ, got any info on good, relatively cheap heated gloves? Man, if had those I'd be out WAY more! Didn't even know they made them...

Supposed to be 48 and sunny this Friday (23-Jan) in Philly!! I get out of work at 2p.m. too!! If it is 48 and sunny I WILL be making my first ride of '09 a frickin looooooooooooong one!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement