Bike rentals? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Ba dum dum, ching...

Bike rentals?

I just got handed a project at work that will involve me travelling to Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago and San Diego several times each throughout the spring and summer. So I'm thinking that I'd like to use this opportunity to do some riding in some other parts of the country. While I can ride down to ATL in about 12 to 14 hours (depending on brakes) so I may just ride down instead of flying if I want to ride I'd probably be better off renting in SD, Dallas or Chicago.

All that is to ask this... have any of you ever rented a bike for a day or weekend and are there any tips or cautions that you might be able to pass along?

Thx,
R

Yes, it's my mid-life crisis.

Sweet Jane...
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63386%3Enu%3D457%3A%3E6%3C3%3E258%3E  WSNRCG%3D3345343785349nu0mrj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:36 AM

call ahead and find prices.... some places will let you rent from them but they have a small selection of bikes... usually sportsters and dynas.... mainly harleys.... not sure why.... anyway when these road trips come up you better take some pictures for us!!!

good luck with it..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Be very careful renting a bike, you have your life to consider, personally i would pass on that, take yours wherever you can and drive a car elsewhere, also big cities are not used to lost or wandering motorcyclist on a new motorcycle.
Every bike has a learning curve with the rider.
Think it over ronnie.
Ride safe if you do.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:08 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Contact your insurance and see if it covers you on rentals on a bike.
If so you do not need to get the extra coverage, if not I would get it.
I have flown adn rented a bike twice, once in Reno and once in San Fran.
Great rides and you get a good chance to find out how other bikes are.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Hi Ron,

I haven't rented a bike out here, but I know there is at least one Harley place and another sport bike place. My neighbor rents from the Harley place at least once a year. Let me know when you are comming here and I would be happy to meet up and show you the local spots to ride.

Dave M
2000 VN750
San Diego, CA

Member San Diego VRA chapter 1-24

R&R and horns Relocated
AGM Battery
Kawi Tall sissybar
16" Zbar ape hangers
MCCT
Kevlar clutch plates
Replaced radiator
Homemade floorboards
Kury LED battery meter
NCS Shield EX
Shaved, rejetted
SS braided lines - removed fork junction
LED Fog Lights
Tribal graphics on front fender
Cobra pipes
Tour Master Saddlebags
Kury ISO grips
Kury highway pegs
Kury oval billet mirrors
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 AM

I can look for a few links for you in the Dallas area.

Just a word of caution, traffic here can be pretty crowded at times. About 6 million people in the DFW area.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 AM

Here are a couple of places. I've heard Eagle Riders advertise on the radio before.

If you're just going to be in the Dallas area, don't expect much but flat, straight and crowded roads.

http://www.sportryderrentals.com/

http://www.eagleriderdallas.com/

http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/nam...as_rental.html

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Kawika

I have rented from Harley dealers in the past and had a great experience. You can go to the Harley website and use the dealer locator link for the area you are looking for. Dealers with this symbol do rentals. Go with the insurance, I think it's less than $25 for the day...My cycle insurance DOES NOT cover rented bikes. Harley provides you with enough luggage to hold the provided rain gear and a helmet, if you choose. I like to bring my own gear.
Woodstock Harley does rentals near Chicago, but is about an hour drive NW of the city.

I tried contacting a couple other rental places, but the phone service to setup the rental ahead of time, just was not making me feel confident that things would work out right when I arrived....good luck!

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertech View Post
Be very careful renting a bike, you have your life to consider, personally i would pass on that, take yours wherever you can and drive a car elsewhere, also big cities are not used to lost or wandering motorcyclist on a new motorcycle.
Every bike has a learning curve with the rider.
Think it over ronnie.
Ride safe if you do.
There is some validity in this thinking. If you have very little riding experiance and all of what you do have is on your Vulcan, I would caution against renting anything that is much larger. And by "much" I am saying a Vulcan 900 or even a Sportster would likely be fine, but if you have never ridden a large dressed bike like a GW, or a 1200-1400 class bike, this would not be the time to learn their particulars.

On this note, don't forget to check out BMW dealers. Price wise you are going to spend alot less renting a Honda than Harley , and even a BMW...as HD's are costly hunks of metal.

For the most part, rent the smallest bike you think you would need. Spend some time with it in a parking lot getting used to it's brakes, and throttle response.
Not to counter my agreement with Mastertech here...but rental bikes tend to be better taken care of than alot of bikes on the road , mostly do to the rental companies liabiltiy if something goes wrong...but is always a good idea to check over anybike you plan on riding, and if you feel uncomfortable with it for some reason ...walk away.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement