TOP TEN items you would suggest a new owner do to his new ride - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

TOP TEN items you would suggest a new owner do to his new ride

tincanman sent me a pm about a post I made on the newbie check-in forum to welcome Jeff23 on Haloween night. It got me thinking about the advice almost all newbies get welcomed with. We already have the "Verses", but that is a lot of reading at the beginning of a new relationship, especially when you would rather be out riding instead of reading or wrenching. So I`m asking "What are the TOP TEN IMPORTANT ITEMS a new owner of a vn750 needs to check or do, to make his scoot as safe and reliable as possible?" I will start my list, but I don`t have ten yet. Will add more as they occur to me. What are YOUR TOP TEN?

MY TOP TEN
1. Get a Kawi or Clymer service and maintenance manual.
2. Read the first three chapters and learn the names for common tools and the parts of your bike, and what they do.
3. As you are reading chapter three (in Clymer anyway), get out your wrenches and check all the fasteners for adequate tightness, fluid levels topped up, and all electrical connections are clean and tight, tires properly inflated, etc., as you cover each section in the chapter.
4. Learn to do a daily pre-ride inspection as outlined in Chapter 3 until it is a habit and automatic each time you approach the bike.
5. Make an attitude adjustment each time you straddle the bike. You are not ten feet tall and bullet proof. If you are stressed or angry or upset, DO NOT move that bike until you are calmed down and can concentrate on riding and getting to your destination safely.

6. Check and lube rear splines on driveshaft and final drive unit.

Edit April 22, 2011. Added Fergy`s new link to spline lube to make it easier to find for those who need it.
It is also a stickey thread now, as well as found in fergys sigline on every post he makes.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

7. Get a Maintenance Free- Absorbed Glass Mat battery. (AKA MF-AGM battery)
8.Do an electrical charging system test for voltage and amperage.(refers to stator and voltage regulator/rectifier condition).

EDIT: I am adding the next two that theauhawk suggests for me in post #3.

9. Install a voltmeter. Digital readout prefered, water resistant, and shock resistant.
10. Relocate voltage regulator/ rectifier from the oven where it lives,(and dies!), above the belly of the goat, attached to the bottom of the battery box. Ma Kaw calls the goats belly the "pre muffler chamber". It is a crossover chamber to even out exhaust pulses.

OK I know some of those first items are not strictly stuff done to the bike, but it does relate to safety and reliability. Do you agree or disagree? Expand on something I have said or dispute it. Criticize if you must, but lets keep it constructive.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-22-2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Added new link to fergy`s spline lube procedure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Here in the states we go all the way to the 10 for ten. lol.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Drive less, ride more...

I won't necessarily suggest you change anything in your "top ten" list thus far (this is all opinion, anyway), but you could finish out your list with:

9. Install a (water-resistant, shock-resistant) voltmeter to monitor your bike's charging system. This will alert you to a pending charging system failure (in most cases) before you are on foot, in the middle of nowhere. It's fantastic peace of mind when on long rides!

10. Relocate the bike's regulator/rectifier. Either to the passenger left footpeg area (the usual place)--or somewhere else on the bike, for much better ventilation and airflow.

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 12:00 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Like myself theres some that think free is far better than spending $30+ dollars on a manual so low and be-hold one of my top ten is to download this free service manual

http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/File...nd%20Parts.pdf

Peace
jstandy likes this.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

Last edited by wkrizan; 11-08-2008 at 12:02 PM.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Tools and manuals are needed for some, but not the first things one needs. I had tools already and the list should not be just for newbies to motorcycles in general.

Here are the top ten suggestions for new VN 750 owners, not in any specific order:

1. MF AGM battery...really it is the first thing to buy.
2. Silcone the lock in the tool box and tape the hinge on the inside so if the plastic breaks the lid won't go MIA.
3. Silicone the swing arm covers
4. Clean all the electrical connections
5. Install a voltmeter
6. Go over the bike and check every bolt and nut for proper torque
7. Buy a GOOD tire pressure guage and use it.
8. Check the adjustment of all the controls (brakes, clutch)
9. Take the MSF rider course
10. Buy a GOOD full face helmet and proper riding gear.
11. Relocate the R/R

I may have left out something, but it is early....I made the R/R the 11th item because I still maintain that it is not neccesarily needed, one has to examine the riding they do...and having clean electrical connections are 5 times more important.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 04-03-2009 at 04:16 PM.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 12:45 PM

How bout this for the layman.

1) Give it a good thorough once over; check bolts for tightness, check all fluid levels, brake lights and turn signals, headlight adjustment, tires for wear/damage/pressure, ect.

2) Check the triple tree! Tire pressure, front fork pressure/oil seals, and front brakes. Forks should be about 7.1 psi. Digital pressure gauges work best for this. This subject has a number all it's own because your front tire is your life!
(edit by OlHoss. The front forks are adjustable for air pressure ONLY for the model years 1985 to '88.)

3) Pull your spark plugs because you can. There's everything you need in the tool bag. Get to know what they look like under normal conditions so you'll have a better idea of what they shouldn't look like. This is a good site.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...q/faqread2.asp

4) Lube the rear splines. This is a pain it the butt, but may save you a $1000 final drive or force you into putting on a $250 used final drive. Take it from me, I learned the hard way.

5) Check charging levels while bike is running at a range of rpms. Should read about 12.* at idle (Vulcans don't really charge the battery at idle), then rise to upper thirteen's as rpms climb. If, while running at approx. 4000 rpms, the battery becomes fully charged, the Regulator/Rectifier will shut down as to not overcharge the battery. The electrical system is one weak point the Vulcans have. Look into relocating the R/R if you're any good with wrenches, and there are plenty of good pics on this site.

6) Get a maintenance free battery. They have a longer life, and more cold cranking amps (which makes our Vulcans happy). The VN750 likes a really hot spark to start consistently, especially when hot (there's that electrical system again).

7) Get a manual. I have heard that Clymers are better, but the oem will do. Read it! At least leave it in the bathroom for those moments while you're getting ready for a long ride.

8) Learn about the automatic cam chain tensioners (ACCT). If your engine doesn't have a valve train tick, it'll most likely get one sooner or later. This is a heads up so as not to stress. There's potentially easy fixes (look up grambo trick).

9) "Don't lean on the horn 'til you're out of danger. Then blast it for all you're worth" Anon.

10) "Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is good and warm." Anon. This gives you a chance to cool down at the same time.

The Hos '93 VN750
New fork seals, tires next
Thunderbolt '81 KZ1000 M1
Down from cam chain tensioner malfunction

My window is always down when I drive because I'd rather be on my motorcycle.

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 11-30-2015 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Fork tubes are only air pressure adjustable for model years '85-'88
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Mechanically inclined, and enjoy farting around with your bike? Follow the above lists.

If not, buy a newer, different bike.

Flame on.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 02:04 PM
former lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post

Flame on.
LOL!

You kill me!

VulcanFrank

'02 VN750/4266 mi.
Big Crank MF battery
Small floorboards.
Siliconed swingarm covers and tool box lock
Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium plugs
VROC #27777

Coming soon:
R/R move
voltmeter
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Here in the states we go all the way to the 10 for ten. lol.
I had that one coming niterider, but in my own defence I started this about midnight and then bumped a button and lost everything and had to start all over. So it was almost 1.30 this am when I posted, and I was not getting any more inspiration,so I called it quits, and went to bed. Reading over the suggestions that have been made, I think all are good ones. Most of them I have seen expressed before, in one forum or another. There are a few that I had forgotten or were new to me.

theauhawk mentions the next two I would probably put on my list. I have a voltmeter ready to install when I can get around better. I have been thinking about a r/r relocation, but have been debating with myself over the merits of the easy route of putting it beside the rear foot peg, vs. the unproven benefit of an increase in cooling available by mounting it at the front of the frame.

wkrizan makes a good point about saving money by downloading the free manual. I finally did download it on Thursday, and just finished looking through it, ALL 2395 pages. This is not as arduous as it sounds because every thing after page 547 is a repeat of the 50 plus line drawings and associated parts lists just viewed. The only exceptions I noticed was that the shape of the Master cylinder for the front brake changes from rectangular to round, some where in the 4th or 5th repitition of drawings, and the fuel tanks have a different part number, reflecting a different color paint job.
This manual is written more for the professional mechanic, and skips a lot of the introductory general material that the Clymer manual has in the first and second chapters. This may not be very important to the guys who have been wrenching on their autos since they were teens. But I think it is valuable for the guys and gals who are new to the idea of working on their own vehicle, a bike in this case.
You can also carry it with you on the bike when travelling, for reference in an emergency. Of course you could carry a laptop too, if you wanted, I guess. I see them as complementary tools, after examining the downloaded manual today. The photos in it leave a lot to be desired, but the line drawings and itemized parts lists are excellent.

KM, I think every point you make is valid. Regarding manuals, I worked on my own cars for 20 years before I bought my first Haynes manual. I had done a lot of unnecessy labor in the past I soon realized, after having the book for a short time. If you are an experienced amatuer mechanic , or have experience with other motorcycles, you probably have a pretty good idea of where you need to start on a new to you ride.

I admit that my list is aimed more at the new rider, who has little or no experience riding or wrenching on a bike. That is the beauty of this little thread, it was intended to draw ideas from those with long experience riding, as well as those relatively new to the activity.

tcm- well thought out ideas. I should have waited until this morning to start this thread-maybe I would have had 10 to start with, eh.

Come on Doug and Frank, we need at least one new idea from each of you. Am I starting to sound a little too much like a cheerleader here? Sorry about that, I`m going to check some other threads now. TTFN
Art487 likes this.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 01-15-2009 at 03:05 PM.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Straight roads are evil

All of the above are good things to do. Here's a list that takes a different direction.

1. Get full gear, including a full face helmet, even if your state doesn't require it. Cover every square inch of your body with protective gear. Too hot? So what? It's a lot easier to wipe off sweat then to wipe on skin.
2. Sign up at vn750.com, vroc.com, and the vn750 yahoo list.
3. Skim the Vulcan verses, so you know where to look later.
4. Hook up with local riders that are serious about the sport, and who ride safely.
5. DON'T be a SQUID! (Stupid, Quick, Underdressed, and Invariably Dead)
6. Find out if there are local web forums for riding in your area. If so, get an account on them; local forums are great resources.
7. Check google maps for squiggly lines you've never been on.
8. Never ride above your head. It's a lot better to say "I could have gone 10 faster through that turn" than "Oh $%^&* I should have gone 10 slower!".
9. Can't think of #9.
10. Back to the beginning: FULL GEAR!
jonlandrum and Art487 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement