TOP TEN items you would suggest a new owner do to his new ride - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

A bunch of good suggestions, but one I didn't see was to change the (fluids) oil & filter, rear end dope & coolant also, if it is a new bike do it very shortly to get rid of the breakin particles etc., and if it is a used bike to make sure it has been changed and to know what is in it...
Just something I would want to do...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Kawika

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
wkrizan makes a good point about saving money by downloading the free manual. I finally did download it on Thursday, and just finished looking through it, ALL 2395 pages. This is not as arduous as it sounds because every thing after page 547 is a repeat of the 50 plus line drawings and associated parts lists just viewed. The only exceptions I noticed was that the shape of the Master cylinder for the front brake changes from rectangular to round, some where in the 4th or 5th repitition of drawings, and the fuel tanks have a different part number, reflecting a different color paint job.
This manual is written more for the professional mechanic, and skips a lot of the introductory general material that the Clymer manual has in the first and second chapters. This may not be very important to the guys who have been wrenching on their autos since they were teens. But I think it is valuable for the guys and gals who are new to the idea of working on their own vehicle, a bike in this case.
You can also carry it with you on the bike when travelling, for reference in an emergency. Of course you could carry a laptop too, if you wanted, I guess. I see them as complementary tools, after examining the downloaded manual today. The photos in it leave a lot to be desired, but the line drawings and itemized parts lists are excellent.
"every thing after page 547 is a repeat of the 50 plus line drawings and associated parts lists just viewed"
seems true for the most, but I have been going through the drawing details in the service manual lately and the drawings are all a little different, it just does not designate why in a summary...
different for different canadian models (there is a kawasaki reed valve block off plate with a part number...must only be available in Canada....anyone want to confirm the availability?)
There are variances in the US models too, and due to another thread recently, I discovered that I have a California model bike....there are drawings of the additional and alternate emissions equipment. The problem is they are not referenced at all...not even a page number or heading.
I hope I don't jack your thread, but I was wondering if the extra emissions equip. is part of the reason I can't seem to lose the popping with me V&H pipes... (it's marbled, vac plugged and the exhaust is not leaking)
p.s. if anyone has a suggestion, please pm me! I have not been able to find any California model specific threads except for this one.

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

davewex, the thread you link to is true, block off or plug the right one and the one on the left is your tank vent... My bike bought by me new in Tenn. was a Cal. bike also...... Mine would stumble and fall on its face if you stopped for a bit with a warm engine, got me in trouble a few times when pulling out on the road... Of course it would be illegal to alter if you are in Cal...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 AM
former lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post

Come on Doug and Frank, we need at least one new idea from each of you. Am I starting to sound a little too much like a cheerleader here? Sorry about that, I`m going to check some other threads now. TTFN
It's difficult to add to all the great items mentioned so far. I didn't think I saw this one:

10+. Develop a pre-ride inspection habit. It only take a few minutes to do and you can do it while it's warming up. I do.
If you're not familiar with T-CLOCS (tires, controls, lights, oil, chassis, stands) here's a link -->http://tiny.cc/lq2Cp

VulcanFrank

'02 VN750/4266 mi.
Big Crank MF battery
Small floorboards.
Siliconed swingarm covers and tool box lock
Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium plugs
VROC #27777

Coming soon:
R/R move
voltmeter
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 11:48 AM

Don't go to the DARK SIDE - GO to the LIGHT and wear visible riding gear. There are fashionable riding jackets with armor that include reflective stripes and or are HiVis.

Get a more comfy seat for those long hauls.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
Mechanically inclined, and enjoy farting around with your bike? Follow the above lists.

If not, buy a newer, different bike.

Flame on.
You mean to tell me that being mechanically inclined is not a prerequisite for owning a motorcycle? I've been wrong all these years? I guess it is a hopeless cause; trying to keep as many Vulcans on the road as possible. Damn! I guess I'll just go back to looking at pictures of other peoples bikes.

Hey OlHoss, I had to throw a couple of BS items on at the end too. lol. I was thinking after reading through the lists that some do seem a bit long winded; especially mine. Well thought out as it was, I still forgot to mention a fluid change, duh (Good call OD). I wonder if making a short list that just points out the big issues of our bikes, and mentions some other little ones, would be easier? Just enough info to get the brain moving, know the serious weak points of the Vulcans, and give them a direction to search in depending on what they want to do?

I'm short for time now, as I have to go fart around in the garage on my bikes. Then go for a quick ride while the rain's not falling like Niagara.

The Hos '93 VN750
New fork seals, tires next
Thunderbolt '81 KZ1000 M1
Down from cam chain tensioner malfunction

My window is always down when I drive because I'd rather be on my motorcycle.
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I think alot of this is more of the order of stuff every new rider should know as oppossed to the top ten things every new owner of a Vulcan 750 should know

So most are not really Vulcan specific, which I thought was the intent of the subject line.

Regardless, the one I missed was checking the splines for proper grease.
Which should be true for any shaft drive bike, not just the Vulcan 750.

As time goes on here, that list will change...as by then most Vulcans out there will have likely already lost their swing arm caps, tool box locks , so the owners of said bikes will have likely already covered this somehow.

I feel lucky having had the oppertunity to buy a Brand New Vulcan 750 off the show room floor. From here on in they are "used discontinued models" so I can only hope those buying one are getting it from someone that knew all the bikes little peculurarites and is honest enough to mention what he or she did to the bike. Hopefully they would also have been members of this or the Yahoo forum.

All the other non specific suggestions are of course good ones. Perhaps we should morph all of this into one list for all new members/riders to read...and only highlight the 750 specific suggestions for them to read also.

If so here are my three golden rules of riding a motorcycle:

1. Do not hit anything.
2. Assume at all times that every other vehicle on the road is out there with the expressed intent of killing you.
3. Always leave yourself an "out" so you will not break rule number 1.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 11:49 PM

I agree with you KM. I was thinking of even making a post with the name of all the little peculiarities of the Vulcan. Something that covers all of the common symptoms, like "engine ticking, hard start, problem bike" so it was easily searchable. I've been pondering this, but haven't come up with a good way to do it yet.

The Hos '93 VN750
New fork seals, tires next
Thunderbolt '81 KZ1000 M1
Down from cam chain tensioner malfunction

My window is always down when I drive because I'd rather be on my motorcycle.
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Good ideas from all of you. After we have let this thread run for a week or 3, we could edit the responses into 2 or 3 categories, more or less specific to the VN750 along the lines suggested by KM and tcm. It`s after midnight and I`m going to bed before I start to ramble again. Thanks to all for your ideas.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Nothing new in the past 24 hours? Have we got all the issues covered already? If you have thought of something else, speak up. We need your ideas too.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement