Triggering traffic lights - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Triggering traffic lights

Has anyone had success with the magnets to help the traffic light sensors see your bike? Some lights are ok but some I have to sit and wait for a car to come up behind me. I've tried rolling back and forth over different areas of the sensor, etc but sometimes the lights just won't trigger.

-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:11 AM
Tinkerer

Garage
I just usually flash the high beam on/off a couple of times... works here in the UK. Never heard about magnets though, I'm intrigued

Man can not live by bread alone... he needs Duct tape & WD40
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 AM

You should just roll over the white line and let the car behind trip the light. Here in PA there is a new law allowing you to go thru a red light if the traffic is clear and safe.
OleDirtyDoc and Paulywog like this.

'99 VN750, all stock
performed driveshaft maintenance
checked the ACCT using the Grambo Trick
Sycned carbs with flow meter
Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9 Irridium Spark Plugs

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 AM

Triggering stop lights

To alleviate this aggravation some states have passed "Safe on Red" laws that allow cyclists to drive through red lights. Kentucky recently became the 15th to do so.
Here in Illinois, after waiting 2 minutes, you can proceed using due caution, yielding to oncoming traffic, How ever, in Illinois, this law does not apply in municipalities over 2,000,000 people, such as Chicago. Safe on red laws, vary by state

Mcneuby
Paulywog likes this.

New to me 2004 15k Last liscened in 2011. Stock as they come.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

yea, I have a couple spots here near me that my bike has trouble tripping the magnetic sensors, and at least 1 that it will not. thankfully any new work on the signal lights usually end up in either replacing or supplementing them sensors with camera's mounted near the signals that detect the vehicles. I never have an issue with them.

on the problematic ones, if I can see where they are in the road (usually a cut line thats been filled with tar), I park the bike directly over it. Here, most of the magnetic sensors are 2 loops, side by side in the road, I will sit on the middle line (where both loops are in a common groove), and that seems to help.

also, if there are 2 bikes, it seems they always work.. one on each loop
OleDirtyDoc likes this.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:14 PM
2014 KLR 650!

SC allows me to go right on through in like 30 seconds if it doesn't change. I run the hell out of red lights all the time. Though on occasion I will motion wildly to the people behind me that are keeping a safe distance to move the hell up so the light trips.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Doing as MTB said, stopping right over the "cut" in the road where they buried the loop will usually work. You can also report intersections to your DOT that won't trip for you, and they'll try to fix it. We have the same law here allowing you to run a light that won't change for you.

Magnets under your bike sound like a good way to stand up a nail on the road to take out your rear tire. The "loops" are really just large metal detectors... it make more sense to bolt a heavy iron frying pan under your bike....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

agree KM, I wouldnt put a magnet under the bike.. but I *have* thought about bringing the centerstand down to the road (not putting bike on it, just lowering it with my foot) while over them loops. it is after all steel, and the closer the steel is to the loop, the more likely it is to tripping the sensor.

and your dead on about how they work, they are just loops of a large metal detector

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 PM

Thumbs up

CT, is a right turn on red after stop,but also has a left turn after 90 seconds for mc. I kept the article bookmarked on my phone,in case I get pulled over and have a problem with the police.!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan1999 View Post
You should just roll over the white line and let the car behind trip the light. Here in PA there is a new law allowing you to go thru a red light if the traffic is clear and safe.
you need to read that law, you can only turn on red if it has gone through multiple cycles and still hasnt changed to green. its also almost $200 if you dont wait....

85 700
V&H Cruzers
coastered&shaved
uni filters
coil mod
KC's led turn signal boards
clear alternatives led tail light
Wolfies forward controls
vn900 seat
AGM Battery
Iridium plugs
willie and max bags
plexifairing 3
14 inch apes

97 75
parts bike for now

He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement