Sudden/random loss of power - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evulcannibal View Post
Well thankfully I haven't experience that yet. The only time when I turn my handle bars to the right fully is when I am off the bike and pulling the bike out of the garage.
It cut out on the freeway, right? Hard to predict when or why the ignition will disconnect.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Could have been POOGS. Check your gas tank vent.
If your bike dies when you turn the bars to one side, you have a bad connection or a broken wire, or are shorting out somehow (check the wires in the headlight shell)
If the switch is bad, what made it turn off and back on if you were going straight on the highway?

Sounds like you have more than one issue here...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Expendable newbie

Garage
I'm guessing that the rapid drop in rpm was due to the ignition. Maybe vibration caused it. Because of the rapidness of the rpm drop, it seems more likely that this issue is not fuel and is ignition.

I'm sure that I have a fuel issue too. Like I said before, my other issue is that my bike has stumbled and loss power similar to out of gas, but only for a second. Now this issue may be due to fuel. I have a CA model, so I don't know if I can be inflicted with POOGS. Can I?

Don't take my word for it. I'm just a foolish newbie.
When in doubt, just know that I am only joking around.

95 VN750
Top speed is 112 mph at ~7900 rpm
Blacked out engine
Dry rusty splines finally lubed for the first time
R/R relocated to the side of fuse box
Rust removed from tank
Marbled
In line fuel filter, 23-28 micron rating
Voltmeter
Gear indicator
LED turn signals & brake light
16 color LED engine light up & underglow

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Expendable newbie

Garage
Well it happened again and I got to tell you, Iím going to need a new pair of pants and a new seat. This time it was worse. My fuel was over 70% and I was on a straight road. The rpm dropped to 0 and then back up. It was stumbling multiple times within an interval. At the worst point, the power was very weak. I opened the throttle all the way, but it felt like it was giving less than 50% power. The rpm maxed out at about 4.5k rpm. It stayed there for a while and I was gonna pull over, but it went back to normal.

I plan on addressing the ignition switch issue this weekend, but I want to know if I should look at anything else. The rpm was reading 0, but at that time I was still getting some power, only it was less than 50%. Could it be the jets were momentarily plugged with debris? Or maybe one of my cylinders werenít firing? What else should I look at instead of the ignition switch?

95 VN750
Blacked out engine
Rust removed from tank
Marbled
Voltmeter
Gear indicator
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 02:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evulcannibal View Post
Well it happened again and I got to tell you, Iím going to need a new pair of pants and a new seat. This time it was worse. My fuel was over 70% and I was on a straight road. The rpm dropped to 0 and then back up. It was stumbling multiple times within an interval. At the worst point, the power was very weak. I opened the throttle all the way, but it felt like it was giving less than 50% power. The rpm maxed out at about 4.5k rpm. It stayed there for a while and I was gonna pull over, but it went back to normal.

I plan on addressing the ignition switch issue this weekend, but I want to know if I should look at anything else. The rpm was reading 0, but at that time I was still getting some power, only it was less than 50%. Could it be the jets were momentarily plugged with debris? Or maybe one of my cylinders werenít firing? What else should I look at instead of the ignition switch?
If your tachometer is pegged at zero but your engine is still running, that indicates an electrical problem with your IC igniter box. Pin 4 (black wire on six pin connector) on the box drives ignition coil #1 as well as providing the signal to the tach. A wire that sporadically opens the circuit or a bad box would cause you to lose spark to one cylinder.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If your tachometer is pegged at zero but your engine is still running, that indicates an electrical problem with your IC igniter box. Pin 4 (black wire on six pin connector) on the box drives ignition coil #1 as well as providing the signal to the tach. A wire that sporadically opens the circuit or a bad box would cause you to lose spark to one cylinder.
+1

also, related to that, check the connections on the pick coils, at the wiring harness, as well as check them under the cover on the left side of the bike.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Expendable newbie

Garage
I cleaned out my ignition switch (shown below) and I thought it was fixed, but itís back and this time with a vengeance. At first I was able to turn the bike on no matter the position of the key and the bike doesnít die any more with the handle turned all the way to the right. It was like that for maybe 1-2 days. Now, the bike will only start with the key turned closest to the off position, but still in on position. This is worse than before. Before I at least had a little leeway.

That is the least of my issues. After about 70-80 miles from when I cleaned the ignition, the bike had power loss again. Still the same issue as before where rpm drops to 0 and there is no accel power for 2-3 sec. Only thing I forgot to mention before was that it backfires like a shotgun, but I guess that is expected when it suddenly decel that fast. It doesnít backfire all of the time though. This power lost issue happens only on the freeway.

This next one I feel is the biggest new issue. It seems to only happen when Iím city driving (not on freeway or at high speed). I really hope it doesnít do this on the freeway. The bike dies and turn off like the kill switch was activated. This happened 3-4 times. I was able to start the bike up sometime when I was still in motion and then kept on going until it died again later on. One time I couldnít start the bike up no matter how much time I pushed the button. I took the key out and reinsert it and then it started up.

I checked the IC ignitor and there was no resistance between the pins, except between 3 and 6. More info at IC ignitor box with no internal resistance. When I measured the ignition coil primary winding, I was getting either 23 or 230 ohms, I forgot, but it was definitely not in the K range. Both of the coils measure about this amount. The connection on the front ignition coil was reversed before but I corrected it. Also the bike is consuming oil like a baby consumes milk or like a prostitute consumes Ö, well you know what I mean.

What do I do now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0950.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	33890  

95 VN750
Blacked out engine
Rust removed from tank
Marbled
Voltmeter
Gear indicator

Last edited by evulcannibal; 08-31-2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to add pic
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

when you cleaned the ign switch, did you remove the puck from the lock, take it apart (carefully, so the balls dont get lost), and slightly (very) stretch the springs?

or did you shoot contact cleaner into the lock?

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Expendable newbie

Garage
I did a through cleaning. I took everything apart and brushed it and cleaned with acetone. It was shiny in the end.

95 VN750
Blacked out engine
Rust removed from tank
Marbled
Voltmeter
Gear indicator
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

a slight stretch of the springs in it will help the contacts make better connection.
Thorn likes this.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement