New 750VN owner,bike wanders? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Inga Send a message via MSN to Inga
Cool New 750VN owner,bike wanders?

HI!...first off been riding M/C's over 50 years and first time riding the VN, i notice right off she wanders from side to side like a boat hunts. kinda like the gas in the tank sloshin around moving the bike,what gives? is this a trait? my bike is a '06 w/2500 miles on,its pretty much L/N, other than that love the bike. also i have a bud that had one and a guy down the st. says he went to M/C mechanic school so he R& clean carbs. he really screwd things up! you must do 1 carb at a time ,DON'T MIX THE PARTS TOGETHER OF BOTH CARBS! they are both jetted differently!the needles especially! i got this cause my 88 sportster is having carb probs.needed somethin to ride while i R&R carb.figuring out if i should stick with the S&S or go to a mick or cv.

Last edited by Inga; 07-20-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
How old are your tires?should not wander at all.is everything tight?do both wheels line up when you look at it from behind?now on the sporty stick with a mikuni or an s&s.so your up by Syracuse, eh?I'm over in Chenango in Norwich

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Tinkerer

Garage
Also need to check your headstock bearings, they could also cause the bike to drift/wander and also your forks are aligned properly.
OleDirtyDoc likes this.

Man can not live by bread alone... he needs Duct tape & WD40

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz73 View Post
Also need to check your headstock bearings, they could also cause the bike to drift/wander and also your forks are aligned properly.
I had a similar trait bike would slightly shimmy at low speed. I found the head bolt loose underneath the handle bar cover . Took it off and torqued it down used loc tite Problem solved . Your issue could be bearings .

!995 1989 VN750 Both bikes have identical accessories. Rear facing cameras with windshield mounted color monitors. Hard saddle bags. Tire pressure monitors. All recommended mods. Removable rear trunks with alarms. Ground facing LED Kawasaki logo illuminate with brake lights .
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 05:09 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Before someone else says it, new members should first post in the Newbie Check-In forum and introduce themselves and give some background on how handy with a wrench they are.......before jumping right in with their bike issues.

That said....steering head bearings and adjustment would be the first thing to check. Honestly, I wouldn't even ride the bike until you solve that problem.
Mike DeAngelo likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 06:49 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Before someone else says it, new members should first post in the Newbie Check-In forum and introduce themselves and give some background on how handy with a wrench they are.......before jumping right in with their bike issues.

That said....steering head bearings and adjustment would be the first thing to check. Honestly, I wouldn't even ride the bike until you solve that problem.
That first paragraph was very well put. lol

I agree with all the advice given so far as to what to check, where to check it and the "do not ride" portion also.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
wonder no more.

was probably me. had it on the super slab, was going nice and straight. think its the longish fork tubes at lower speeds,feels like a chop with no rake and 10-12" over tubes. i checked everything. mirror decided to roll over flat so i took apart and tightened the nut on the stem underneath the mirror. also checked my a/f's, the snorkel to the air box was pinched on the L 1 and deformed on one part so i put a fat socket in it to stretch it out and heated up with a blow dryer a couple times and finally took its shape back and fits tight and right now into the air box.checked 1F and 1 R plug and color is puuuurfect! new battery,Exide 14L A2. going to do the gypsy mod to the Rect reg. with a star washer to assure good ground. going to do the spline lube to. then its a no worry gas n' go bike,till i hear the cam chains then i'll do the manual ones. cheers!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 02:13 AM
I'm a rider

Garage
Mine wanders every time the air pressure in the shocks gets low. I like to keep 30 lbs in them all the way around. Gotta be quick with that release or it''ll empty itself in 1 full second (which is all it takes to put 30 lbs in it as well). Keep my shocks set on 3 with pressure in them and the bike is as solid as a train on rails. Let one of them get low and it'll feel like a wet noodle.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks! i'll check that,didn't know it had air shocks,its probably never been checked and P.O. said he hadn't rode in 2 years! battery was dead when i bought but jump started with battery jumpers.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
They are air/oil mix so oil at the valves are common. As i say, it will fill or empty in 1 second. Valves are under the caps on the front at the end of the stem the caps just unscrew, by the top mount at the rear. Be QUICK removing the air nozzle. Completely controls how this bike rides.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement