My Mustang seat sucks ... does yours? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

My Mustang seat sucks ... does yours?

Okay, I'm more of a lurker here so bear with me. I ride an '04 VN750 and LOVE THE BIKE. I have over 15,500 miles on her and I haven't had her two years yet. I opted to replace teh stock seat with the Mustang seat and I have to say ... I'm regretting it.

Okay, typically Mustang and Corbin are the two names for replacement seats. Since I hhave the Kawi Extended sissy bar on my bike (which my fiance thanks me for) I can't do the Corbin seat. Their website now even states that: "Does not work with tall Kawasaki sissy bar." So, I opted for the Mustang seat which I kinda liked the looks better anyway.

So, I know there's a break in period. Sure, no problem. I've tried that. I've done several 200+ mile rides, I've done many 15 mile commutes. I did an 1,100 mile 3-day ride in the CO mountains. I now have over 3,000 miles on the Mustang seat and nearly 2 months and I hate the seat. It feels like I'm sitting on a brick !!! My stock was never this bad.

So, I guess my question is ... do other VN750 riders ahve this problem with Mustang seats? Is it just my seat or my butt? Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

Clair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:05 PM

I like my Mustang seat

Sorry you do not like yours. I have been happy with mine since the first time I put it on and sat on it. I drove 5 hours to VA beach one day and returned the next day (6 hours) and had no compaints with the seat. I also tried and still have the corbin seat. I thought the corbin was much harder and transmitted the bike vibrations much more. My girl friend at the time hated the corbin. My fiance has no problem with the Mustang. The rear seat is much wider on the Mustang.

The stock seat is much softer at first, but I would quickly get a sore back. The Mustang has a lumbar support that I think is wonderful.

I thought the Mustang website indicated that there was no need for a breakin period.

My only complaint with the Mustang seat is that it sits higher than the stock seat and there is a larger gap between the seat and fender.

Good luck
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Re: My Mustang seat sucks ... does yours?

Sent a email to Mustang about my seat, here's their reply:

We suggest that you send the seat in to our factory and we will put your
foam through our foam-softening process free of charge.

So, I'm going to give this a try ...

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 11:35 AM

Where did you guys buy your Mustang seats from? I'm still using the original seat and at times I get a sore rear. I think it has a lot to do with the temp here as when it's not so warn/hot I don't get as sore.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 10:52 PM

>>I can't do the Corbin seat. Their website now even states that: "Does not work with tall Kawasaki sissy bar."<<

Huh. I know I am not the only one who has the sissy bar and a Corbin. In fact Corbin recovered my sissy bar to match the seat I had done.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I just finished a 535 mile ride (from the VN750 gathering) with a corbin and an Airhawk pad. Without the Airhawk pad, I can only last about 3 hours (with a short gas break). I took short gas stops except for a late lunch 3 hours from my house and had a slightly sore seat. I think two other people at the gathering had it as well. If you have the Corbin or Mustang, get the medium size. For the stock seat, get the small.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:09 PM

My Corbin fit just fine with the tall Kaw sissybar. The Corbin was to thinly padded (but beautiful to look at!) and I sold it. I found the stock Kaw seat quite comfortable.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 02:12 AM

Red face Re: My Mustang seat sucks ... does yours?

I bought a used one off Ebay that was stated to have 500 miles on it. I thought it was hard at first but after my first ride I could tell the difference in riding longer w/o stops and not near as sore at end of ride. Seat still seems hard for short rides but I am getting used to it especially with the back support. I agree that it sits me that almost 2" higher which made my current windshield too short, but I wanted a wider one anyway for winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair
Okay, I'm more of a lurker here so bear with me. I ride an '04 VN750 and LOVE THE BIKE. I have over 15,500 miles on her and I haven't had her two years yet. I opted to replace teh stock seat with the Mustang seat and I have to say ... I'm regretting it.

Okay, typically Mustang and Corbin are the two names for replacement seats. Since I hhave the Kawi Extended sissy bar on my bike (which my fiance thanks me for) I can't do the Corbin seat. Their website now even states that: "Does not work with tall Kawasaki sissy bar." So, I opted for the Mustang seat which I kinda liked the looks better anyway.

So, I know there's a break in period. Sure, no problem. I've tried that. I've done several 200+ mile rides, I've done many 15 mile commutes. I did an 1,100 mile 3-day ride in the CO mountains. I now have over 3,000 miles on the Mustang seat and nearly 2 months and I hate the seat. It feels like I'm sitting on a brick !!! My stock was never this bad.

So, I guess my question is ... do other VN750 riders ahve this problem with Mustang seats? Is it just my seat or my butt? Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

Clair
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:45 AM

Talking Re: My Mustang seat sucks ... does yours?

I am just waiting for somebody to say they dont like thiers and they want to sell it for less than half price, lol.....just put foam in stock seats and making do.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Dan

My stock seat feels fine. But I am a lightweight, 140 pounds, maybe that makes a difference. I can ride 3 hours straight with no problems.

Dan - Seattle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement