How do VN750s hold up in the rain? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Question How do VN750s hold up in the rain?

So how do VN750s hold up in the rain? Other than respecting wet and slippery road surfaces, wearing decent rain gear, using windshields and ventilated helmet visors and constantly watching out for other vehicle drivers that canít see you through their streaked windshields, what should new VN750 owners be aware of when driving in the rain? Are there any particular quirks or problems that the VN750s experience in or after rain? Are there any recommended preventative measures? I would appreciate any words of wisdom from those with heavy VN750 rain riding experience in the wetter climates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Search Goddess

Re: How do VN750s hold up in the rain?

The one small problem I have had after riding in heavy rain has been with the levers, mainly the clutch lever. They seem to get dirty afterwards and do not operate as expected.
Usual symptoms.. I will only start the bike in neutral with no clutch. It won't start in gear with the clutch engaged. On at least one other occasion my rear brake lights weren't coming on when the brake lever was used.
Solution? An easy one, I sprayed the "joint" of the levers with contact cleaner and everything was back to normal. Just spray into the connection point and work it back and forth a few times.
Another thing.. Lots of the ones that use Metzler tires have reported improved handling in the rain

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 12:40 PM

I live in central Florida so there are many days where it is RAINING when I am leaving work. The normal around here this time of year is severe thunder storms in places from about 4PM to 8PM. My 750 has performed very well in the rain and flooded streets so far.

If you look at the formula for calculating the hydroplaning speed in any drivers ed manual, you will notice that it is based on the tire pressure so I always keep my tire pressure at the maximum for the tire.

As for the break lights and the clutch switch, you might want to spray some WD40 on the little switches on the clutch and break levers. They are just little plastic pieces that can be easily broken or stick so just spray them every month or so.

The rain gear and shield help quite a bit but a good pair of waterproof boots would be very nice some times. Donít forget the gloves. I wear leather gloves and they get soaked but they will dry and they will help keep your hand from slipping off the grips.

The rain has never bothered me very much, now that lightning blast that sent me from the left lane to the right lane (no other traffic) was a different story.

It will also help if you know the area and where you can stop under a bridge or a covered picnic area or something so you can take a break. You may need to stop more often in the rain just to walk around a bit.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the good info. That is what I was looking for. Keep it coming you experienced rain riders. I'm sure we can all learn from you.

Years ago, I learned about the giant rooster tails that Grayhound buses spread behind them in heavy rain. Two buses (very close together) passed me going in the opposite direction while I was riding a little Honda CB100 on two lane US395 through Nevada. It closely resembled someone dumping two successive swimming pools of water at me at at 50 MPH. I didn't hyroplane. Instead, I surfed from wave to wave. I was very lucky I didn't wipeout, as I was virtually all over the road. It gives one a gigantic adrenaline rush and a very tight pucker factor.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 01:17 PM

I have been in a few of those waves. I have seen SUVs switch lanes to hit a puddle and splash me also.

One thing I forgot, a poncho is not rain gear on a motorcycle. I saw someone wearing one many years ago. When a truch passed him, the poncho went straight up over his head. He was lucky and it came back down behind him without causing a problem but it could easily have come down over his face and blinded him.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner
So how do VN750s hold up in the rain? Other than respecting wet and slippery road surfaces, wearing decent rain gear, using windshields and ventilated helmet visors and constantly watching out for other vehicle drivers that can’t see you through their streaked windshields, what should new VN750 owners be aware of when driving in the rain? Are there any particular quirks or problems that the VN750s experience in or after rain? Are there any recommended preventative measures? I would appreciate any words of wisdom from those with heavy VN750 rain riding experience in the wetter climates.
After being caught in a couple downpours and having rain getting into the switchgear on the right side, I took off both sets and slapped some dielectric grease all over the contacts. I also did the same for the coil contacts under the left side steering head cover.
When rain got in to the right side, it musta shorted the on/off or starter circuit, because I had to keep the throttle twisted at all times...no idle, or it would die. Could also have been shorted coils, because after I greased everything I could find that might be subject to rain/moisture, I never had the same problem....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement