GPS anyone?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

GPS anyone??

ok so im looking at a gps system for my fiancee and i was wonderinf does anyone have one??? do you take it with you onthe bike??? im trying to figure out how to mount ir... i know alot of sportbikes have a bracket that bolts to the gas tank but is there something like that for the vulcans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I got a Garmen Nuvi 350, it is a good unit and they make a motorcycle mount by Ram Mount.
It is not waterproof is the only downside.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

ha im lookin at the garmin nuvi 200w... yeha onnly downside tht ive seen is its not waterproof... you wouldnt happen to have a pic of how you have yours mounted would you??

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrepp61 View Post
ha im lookin at the garmin nuvi 200w... yeha onnly downside tht ive seen is its not waterproof... you wouldnt happen to have a pic of how you have yours mounted would you??
I have the Garmin Nuvi 200, not the wide, and I mounted the dash mount disc on the tank near the filler cap, then epoxied a small metal loop on the back of the unit to loop a cord in that I let lay under the gas cap at the hinge and lock down as a safety, works for me...... Then I ran a fused wire w/toggle switch from the accessories lead to the back and mounted a cigar lighter resepticle (sp), and carry the charger in by back bag... Don't usually need it but it's there if needed, as the Nuvi 200 has a good battery life, like 5 Hrs., which I think is better than most...... I can use it on the cycle or window mount in the car or van...
My water proofing is a double zipper freezer bag...lol... But then I only ride in the rain when caught and have to...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I have a Garmin Zumo 550. This unit was designed specificly for motorcycles, although they do come with a car mount so you can use it when you are in your car or truck.

Most mount these using a RAM mount to the handlebars. Do not have a photo of the Zumo mounted to the Vulcan, but here is a shot of it on my FJR, you can just see it at the top of the photo on the left bar:

The Zumo has a built in MP3 player, bluetooth to phone and I have the optional XM radio with traffic and weather.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have owned a c330 and a NUVI 750, wife has a Nuvi 220. They all work well but the Nuvi is by far better. The Nuvi's have more whistles and bells. A friend of mine that had a tom tom was impressed enough with the Garmins user friendliness he went out and bought one. None of the ones I own are waterproof but the plastic bag trick will work and numerous ebayers sell motorcycle mounts. If your only looking for crate use I would advise an 750 or 760. The 750 has a FM tramsmitter and can play MP3 files through your radio. The upgraded model adds bluetooth so your cell will work through the nuvi to your radio. Go to the garmin web site and compare features and then find a cheaper place to buy them. My 750 was $220.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Straight roads are evil

I've got a Zumo 550, it works fantastically. The unit mounts on the handlebars with an included bracket.

The Vulcan has two spare power connections, one in the headlight and one behind the left side plastic panel. I connected to the wires in the headlight, looping the spare cable behind the light. Didn't want to remove the gas tank to route along the frame back to the side connector.

The zumo is pricey, but VERY good.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I have a Garmin GPS 72, waterproof, floats, has a lanyard, very big screen, and lots of cool features. I baught a motorcycle mount for it through Garmin's Web Sight. here is the link to the GPS and the link to the Mount. (i also have the power adapter for it as well click here for power link)

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 09-10-2008 at 10:49 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I have a Garmin GPS 72, waterproof, floats, has a lanyard, very big screen, and lots of cool features.
Would not call a 1.6 X 2.2 inch screen "very big"...perhaps for the cell phone sized hand helds it is. My old eyes have a hard time seeing small stuff , much less on a moving bike.
You young guys perhaps not a problem.

Does it have voice prompts?

And you need to let us know when you ride your bike into the lake if the unit keeps the bike afloat too....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Garmin GPS Nuvi 200 & IQue M-3), no experience with any other... I don't know how good they are in the cities, but I do know that sometimes out in the sticks they get more confused than I do and that is bad... Set on shortest distance I have had mine route me up a long dead end private drive and almost ate up by dogs, route me up creeks, and trails that a rabbit would have a hard time with... I have never used off road mode, I can't imagine where it would take me (have to cut bushes I guess)...lol... So I only use fastest time and just try to stay off the main roads & interstates when I am trying to ride the back roads...
Can some one explain what I am doing wrong, I just don't see it favoring my riding style... One other way is to just use the map setting, which works better than some others... What settings would you use when riding the twisty back roads...??? I've gotten to where I mostly just use it when I get lost...lol... I guess I'm a dummy, but thats just my take... Don't get me wrong I still like & use the suckers...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement