Buying a 1991 VN750 - 19 K miles - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Question Buying a 1991 VN750 - 19 K miles

Hi All,

I posted this in the Newbie as I just registered but I think here might be a more appropriate place. (and I have not got any response yet there )

I am buying a 1991 VN750 with 19 K miles ridden in NC and I would like to ask if there is anything specific to the VN750 I need to check out/verify before I buy the bike like:

- Hoses
- Fork seals leak (I read those are air based - is this true for my year ? How do you check if the fork seals are good then ? just if they look good ?)
- Oil leaks
- Funny noises ( What could be a regular funky/clinking/strange noise that I should NOT worry about? )

I owned 1992 Virago 750 but sold it some time ago. Could not live without the bike and my budget did not allow me to buy a V-strom .... so here I am

Thanks for your help !

Viktor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 12:06 AM

Hey Viktor,
I bought my 03 a couple of months ago with 17K miles on it. A '91 with 19K is pretty good! So far I LOVE the thing. So far I haven't experienced any quirks, leaks, funny noises or anything of that nature. However, I would suggest that you take it on the highway at 80 mph and see how you like it. Kawasaki probably should've added a 6th gear. I ride mine primarily in town so it's not an issue for me. The only problem that I faced was that the rear turn signals totally interfere with saddlebags! But never fear, Kawasaki does sell a saddlebag support kit which takes care of this problem. The P/N is K53021-094 and it retails for $159.00. If that's already been done....then....BONUS! Anyway, hope this helps....Marty
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kirk here" View Post
Hey Viktor,
I bought my 03 a couple of months ago with 17K miles on it. A '91 with 19K is pretty good! So far I LOVE the thing. So far I haven't experienced any quirks, leaks, funny noises or anything of that nature. However, I would suggest that you take it on the highway at 80 mph and see how you like it. Kawasaki probably should've added a 6th gear. I ride mine primarily in town so it's not an issue for me. The only problem that I faced was that the rear turn signals totally interfere with saddlebags! But never fear, Kawasaki does sell a saddlebag support kit which takes care of this problem. The P/N is K53021-094 and it retails for $159.00. If that's already been done....then....BONUS! Anyway, hope this helps....Marty
At least it is a reply
Thanks Marty. I do not plan to use saddle bags so that will not be an issue. Will post pictures and introduce my bike properly once I get it and ... clean it of course .. next weekend.

Viktor

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Welcome-Don't forget to check out the verses... At the top click on forums and down a good bit you will find verses, a lot of info there...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 AM

Welcome, I learned a lot of what to look for by just browsing the forum, and checking out the Verses.

As with any used bike, you need to keep an eye on everything, especially if you don't know how it was cared for by the previous owner. Some of us have gotten a surprise or two while doing some routine things to the bike.

Biggest odd noise to watch (listen) for is the acct. A variety of easy fixes, repairs and replacement options can be found here.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I read quite a bit already and created my maintenance list.

What about the starter ? Does it have the same grinding noise like the Yamaha's ?

The valves are self adjusting , so should there be any clinking sound because of that ?

Thanks,

Viktor
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Kawika

Hey Kirk-
Grand Junction brings back memories. Was the first "vacation" with my girlfriend, whom I married years later. We drove out to Moab, too. Beautiful area for riding!
are the peaches in?

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:35 PM

Good luck with the buy!

The forks are oil filled but you may add a small amount of air to stiffen them up a bit. This is only true on some years, however, and the bike you are thinking about may be too new to have it.
Fork oil leaks are pretty easy to see just press the brake and yank it a couple of times, there should be no remains on the fork.
IF they would leak it's no that hard to change the seals, but it takes a while.

Oil leaks, I don't know..

Funny noises.. It's possible that you will hear camchain noise. The camchain tensioners are one of the few weak points on this bike.
If it's not too bad there's no need to worry, there are a number of ways to fix the CCT's including changing them to manual ones(will cost you about $100).
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swevulcan View Post
Good luck with the buy!

The forks are oil filled but you may add a small amount of air to stiffen them up a bit. This is only true on some years, however, and the bike you are thinking about may be too new to have it.
Fork oil leaks are pretty easy to see just press the brake and yank it a couple of times, there should be no remains on the fork.
IF they would leak it's no that hard to change the seals, but it takes a while.

Oil leaks, I don't know..

Funny noises.. It's possible that you will hear camchain noise. The camchain tensioners are one of the few weak points on this bike.
If it's not too bad there's no need to worry, there are a number of ways to fix the CCT's including changing them to manual ones(will cost you about $100).
Thanks !
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 12:22 AM

Hey Davewex,
You're right...Grand Junction is an awsome place to ride! I feel blessed to have so much beautiful scenery to ride through in Colorado! And yes, the peaches are definately in and man are they good! If you're ever planning a ride through here again....let me know!

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement