Advantages Of MF Batt. & Iridium plugs...??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Question Advantages Of MF Batt. & Iridium plugs...???

OK-The stock battery in my 06 is 2+yrs. old and has never been a problem other than adding a bit of distilled water a few times... I have been reading in the forum like I should have thrown it away when I bought the bike new and installed a MF Battery... Why, other than the need to add distilled water to the stock battery??? I have been wondering about this for a while, does the MF have more cold cranking Amps. or last longer, or is it easier on the stator or something... If there is other advantages I may go ahead and install one before my stock battery goes bad, if not I will wait till the stock battery dies... OK-Which brand is best, and is gel the best or what...???
Now to the Iridium plugs, most everyone says they are the ones to go with, but again why, better fire, last longer, easier on the stator, use less energy...??? OK-Which brand Iridum plugs do I need to use and what heat range for mostly warm weather riding...??? Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking using the MF battery or the Iridium plugs, its just that I would like to know why since they are quite a bit higher priced than the others...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
Why, other than the need to add distilled water to the stock battery??? I have been wondering about this for a while, does the MF have more cold cranking Amps. or last longer, or is it easier on the stator or something... If there is other advantages I may go ahead and install one before my stock battery goes bad, if not I will wait till the stock battery dies... OK-Which brand is best, and is gel the best or what...???
I've had a "hot start" problems for years since I got my '93 in '95. Thanks to the people on this forum I switched to a Yusa MF, no hot start problems since. Wish I found the forum long before April '08!!!

Coincidentally I've had two dealers in the past "diagnose" my "hot start" problem both of them said I needed a new starter, they would have been happy to install one for big $$$.

No idea on the iridium plugs. I'm still running stock on those. Spent my extra bike $'s on a new windshield this year.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 10:41 AM

Well, this post will probably throw a lot of "heat" my way, but, here goes. The original lead-acid battery (Yuasa) that came with my bike lasted 4 years and 10 months. My records reveal that that was after 44,286 miles.

The replacement battery (also lead-acid----Walmart) has so far lasted 2 full years and is still going strong at 53,708 miles. I merely check the electrolyte levels every 2500 miles or so and add water as, or if, needed.

Now, I don't have any problems with the maintenance free batteries, I'm sure that they are "the cat's meow", I just haven't seen the need to spend the extra money for one when I've been getting such excellent service from the conventional type.

After taking delivery of the bike, and experiencing the backfiring, hard hot starts, failure to start, etc., etc., etc., I found that the problem, on my bike, wasn't that the battery was no good, but simply that the charging system hadn't been properly grounded during assembly and therefore the battery wasn't being recharged while riding.

Once this issue was addressed and remedied, there have been no further battery problems.

'02 VN 750
>67,000 miles
stator replaced @ 50,570 miles
forks rebuilt @ 58,900 miles
currently on third battery & sixth set of tires

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Search Goddess

The maintenance free battery offers several benefits. Most do have more CCAs then the wet cell. There are no worries of acid spill or overflow to damage crucial electronic parts (Junction box, connectors) if or when the bike is dropped. And because of it's name, no need to take the seat off every two weeks or so to check the battery levels. Our bikes like healthy electrical systems and I find that easier to achieve with a maintenance free battery.
Westco is my preferred brand.

I also bought a set of the NGK Iridium plugs and it will probably be the last set I buy (good for 100,000 miles) I have never had a hot start problem. As they say.. iridiums require less voltage to spark, burns fuel more efficiently, sparks at leaner air/fuel mixtures, and delivers higher horsepower and better gas mileage. The last two are marginal since I didn't notice a significant increase in either horsepower or mileage, but there was some, under 10% I would think but every little bit helps.

Anything we say here are suggestions, usually done so because we have found something that works or helps prevents problems. However, we do reserve the right to say.. "I told you so" if you encounter problems like finding out that your junction box has been toasted from battery acid.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Calif Rider

My original battery only lasted 1 year. Kept battery well charged but would give out with only 3 seconds of cranking. In the colder weather it would no t always start my bike in the morning. Even with the engine warmed up, it would still fail if I had a little bit of hot starting problems. Maybe all our electrical systems are not really the same.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twtinkertoy View Post
Well, this post will probably throw a lot of "heat" my way, but, here goes. The original lead-acid battery (Yuasa) that came with my bike lasted 4 years and 10 months. My records reveal that that was after 44,286 miles.
I would just like to say keep a hard copy of your records, as the only thing I have lost on my puter was my cycle records in my documents, all I can get is "This File Cannot be Found"...lol... I do have most on paper though...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Adding to the advantages Dianna outlined, MF batteries will hold a charge for a longer time. This is a good deal for weekend or fair weather riders, who may go a few weeks between rides.
Durring the winter I once went 6 weeks without riding the bike. But when I went to start it up at the end of those 6 weeks, she fired right up. The bike had only lost .1 volts ...this meant that the battery tender I bought pretty much layed around unused the entire time I owned it.

MF batteries also recover faster , meaning if the bike does not start on the first attempt, the energy still left over for second and third trys is going to be more than a wet cell.

The advantage of not having to "maintain" them does make them very attractive in my book , even if they were not simply a better functioning battery. The hassle to get to the battery on the vulcan likely does cause some owners to put off checking their wet cells as often as they should..and we all know what can happen due to this.
The battery in my FJR is imbedded inside the front fairing and also is a PIA to get to. Luckily it came with a MF battery as stock issue.

Granted, you can run a the bike with a "properly maintained" wet cell and standard spark plugs for it's entire life with little issure. But given the rather weak electrical system of the Vulcan , it just seems neglectfull to the poor old gal not to help her out when there are items available to do so.

Everyone likes to have a happy machine don't they?

(My Westco battery got sold with my Vulcan, it was going on 5 years and still worked well BTW.)

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Thanks Folks, I think I will go with the MF battery as soon as mine bats an eye, and at over 2 yrs. old that probably won't be too long... It hasn't given me any trouble so far other than adding the distilled water, but that is enough I guess... I have always liked running the stoutest battery I could get in my vehicles, sure makes a difference in extreme temps...
The Iridium plugs, yes probably go with those also, sounds as they do a better job too, I'll do them next spring probably, unless I have plug problems before...

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

OK-What is the heat range, or maybe I should say number for the propper NGK Iridium plugs for our bikes...???

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
OK-What is the heat range, or maybe I should say number for the propper NGK Iridium plugs for our bikes...???
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8507

(sometimes I feel like a movie theater usher taking you all to your seat with my little flashlight...)

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement