any one else have a bad day yesterday (8/31/08)? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

any one else have a bad day yesterday (8/31/08)?

well, yesterday was a great day for a riding, but not a great riding day! it all started with my wife's bike.
on Saturday we had a pig roast to goto at a friends house out in the country. so we loaded up the bikes with a tent and other camping gear so we could have a few beers and spend the night.
we get there, we get something to and set up camp. after all that, I take the wife's bike out on the trails of the back forty. well, it was dark by then and I couldn't see the trails too good and I ended up in a little bit of mud. I dumped the bike and got it stuck a few times. big fun! got it back to the house and wife was really happy to see her mud covered bike, NOT! (it was a big hit with every one else) so, I hosed it down real good and got the worst of the mud off of the bike and told her I'd wash it when we got home the next on Sunday.
Sunday comes and we pack up and hit the road early. we had plans to go riding with some other friends on Sunday afternoon.
as the wife and I are riding home from the pig roast, I notice the my wife is not using her turn signals (she uses them) I look closer and notice she's has no brake light! I pass her up and take a look and her in the mirror and she's got no lights at all!
at the first stop sign we get to I tell that she's got no lights. she says that she thought something was wrong. I tell her we will look at it when we get home.
we get a few more miles down the road and then all her lights just come on. just like that! I figure maybe water got in some where and was monkeying with the lights and now the water has all dried up.
so we get home, unpack the bikes and I wash her bike like I promised. ("bike bright" works great!) now the bike is all clean and ready to go.
made a few phone calls to see who wanted to still go for a ride and talk to the neighbors next store.
neighbor says he's planing to ride out east with a friend to check out some of the covered bridges. I tell him that was what we were going to do to. so after every body showed up, we planed out a rout to ride, and we figured we'd all ride together.
up to this point everything is all good. we roll the bikes out to the end of the drive and start saddling up for the ride. my wife gets on her bike, put the key in and turns the key and has no power at all. no lights at all! no oil light, no neutral light, no power at all. I tell her to put the bike back and we'll look at it when we get home and she can ride with some one else. I had our kid with me.
at the same time all this is happening, my neighbor takes off a head to go get gas. my neighbors friend is backing out of my neighbors drive way and ends up put her bikes rear tire in the ditch. so now she's got her bike hung up on the drive way and is in need of help!
so, as my wife is put her non running bike back in the garage, my buddy and I run over to help the neighbors friend out. we get her unstuck and we are like what a way to start a ride!
ok, so now we all meet up at the gas station and get gas and drinks (water, pop, energy drinks), snack food and hit the road. it's all good!
we get to the first bridge. it just so cool! it's just beautiful! I just love it! we get off the bikes and check it out and take some pictures. just having a good time.
every one saddles up and is waiting and on me to turn my bike around and saddle up. I had park off the road on a sight incline. (I parked there because there was shade and I thought it would help cool the bike down a little). when I grabbed my helmet it slipped out of my hands and landed on the gravel, which scratch it. this made me mad.
then as I was turning the bike around on the incline, I went to back it up and ended up dumping it! (dam short legs of mine) this really got me mad!
I got the bike back up right and the saddle bags saved it from major damage! but it did get a very small scratch and ding on the heat shield. other than that it's good to go.
now I'm like what or who's bike is next? this is a bad day to ride! three out of five is not good!
the rest of the ride was good, until we got home. we were out in the drive having a beer, taking about the ride and our friend said he was hearing some grinding/grating noises from somewhere on his bike. my wife who was ridding on the back of his bike said she hear it too. I'm like great, now we are up to 4!
as we are standing there talking, another one of our friends (she camped with us at the pig roast the night before) pulls up in her mini van and asks how the ride was. we tell her how it went and what happened.
she then tells us what happened after we left the pig roast. one of our other friends (who also camped with us last night) was ridding one of the four wheelers and the drive shaft went on it. we are like no way! now we are up to five!
later the wife and I went (drove the cage, no work on Monday!) to the bar for bike night. (you've got love "Jimmy's bar and grill") free food, cheap beer, lots of bikes and always a good time!
as we were walking in the guy that was walking through the door first put his arm back to try to hold the door open for my wife. my wife say "thank you" and the guy turns around and says to my wife, "what?! didn't I hold open it long enough for you!" my wife was a little taken back by his tone. she said "yes, you did and I was just thanking you for holding it open, that was really nice of you to do that. thank you." he was like, "man, I'm sorry. I've had a bad day." we were like, we hear ya. like so have we!
so we get some food and some beer and tell our other, different friend that couldn't make the ride earlier, all about our ride/day.
so that makes six! until...., yup, you guest it, one of our other riding friends walks into the bar. he says can you guess what this is (as he points to a stain on he t-shirt)? we are all guessing what kind of bug it was (large bee? dragging fly? chewing gum?) we all got it wrong. he then tells us that while he was doing 80 on the freeway, he got hit by a small bird! the bird was able to dodge the first two riders but was unable to dodge him.
so that makes seven, that I know of right now, and I was just wondering if any one else had a bad day yesterday (8/31/08)? I really hope not! but if you did.....number eight what's your story? please do tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 04:01 PM

I was riding and a bee hit me stinger first going 50 mph on the wrist and when i stopped all that was the was the bottom half just pumping away on my arm. My are is nice and puffy red today. That sucked so that was my bad story for the 31.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Ruger,

I'll bet the problem with the wife's bike is the ignition switch. Mine's been having similar symptoms as of late as well. I tore it apart and cleaned it but the tail light still doesn't light up sometimes until I switch it on and off a couple of times.
No probs yesterday though.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Expert Advice Giver

Life is a series of hurdles. It's not always how fast you run or how high you clear them.....it's how you react to tripping up. I love my VN750...

1994 VN750
32K+
Vance & Hines Cruzers
Avon Venom Front & Rear Tire
Mustang Seat
Fire and Steel Luggage Rack
Fire and Steel Engine Guard
Fire and Steel Sissy Bar
KawaVulcan Saddlebags
eBay Genuine Imitation Chrome Mirrors
Kury Chrome Levers
Battery Tendered
Taillight LED'd
Splines Lubed
Wheelies Popped

2009 Triumph Rocket III
1974 Suzuki TS250

Last edited by mgough983; 03-26-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: never post while drinking and depressed! :)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
Ruger,

I'll bet the problem with the wife's bike is the ignition switch. Mine's been having similar symptoms as of late as well. I tore it apart and cleaned it but the tail light still doesn't light up sometimes until I switch it on and off a couple of times.
No probs yesterday though.
yup, I pulled the ignition switch and the the wire that runs from the battery broken off at the bottom of the switch. so with a little solder, the bike is up and running again.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebus View Post
I was riding and a bee hit me stinger first going 50 mph on the wrist and when i stopped all that was the was the bottom half just pumping away on my arm. My are is nice and puffy red today. That sucked so that was my bad story for the 31.
sorry to hear about that. hope you feel better.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Chucklehead

Mine happened A day late ... the 1st. Hit a raccoon with the cage (last reliable form of transport) that blew out the radiator. But not as bad as remembering the boat accident that happened 11 years earlier that cost my step-son his arm. But all is good now. Did I mention I don't like Labor Day?

I hope everyone else has a good recovery.

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

I have to add one more to the list. talked to a lady I work with and on Sunday one of the people that was riding with her, his bike broke down too. they were stuck on the freeway for about 45min. until some one with a truck showed up.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 02:47 PM

I was a day late, I'm sorry but I only got the memo on 09/01.

So, going for a gorgeous ride through the foothills of rockies, sun is high, leathers are hot, I open the sleeve-cuff zippers to get a bit of airflow in - and within 45 sec, pick up a bee right up the 'A/C intake' (That'd be the sleeve). Li'l bugger actually made it all the way to the crook of my arm, where it got stuck because of the bend of the arm - and to my great fortune, it actually made its way to the outer side of the elbow before stinging me, instead of stabbing right into the vein.

Stars and curses, I barely managed to stay the course and do a controlled pull-over followed by a rather hasty striptease by the roadside. Thankfully, bee is dead, stinger ran into the elbow bone so it didn't go deep, I dig it out with my knif and get back on the bike. Still, elbow turned into a big lumpy thing by the time I got home...

At least rubber side stayed down all the way.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Expert Advice Giver

I hate it when that [email protected]*t happens! I've been stung more than your local Ho' House!

1994 VN750
32K+
Vance & Hines Cruzers
Avon Venom Front & Rear Tire
Mustang Seat
Fire and Steel Luggage Rack
Fire and Steel Engine Guard
Fire and Steel Sissy Bar
KawaVulcan Saddlebags
eBay Genuine Imitation Chrome Mirrors
Kury Chrome Levers
Battery Tendered