Kawasaki "special tools" for routine maintenance? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Kawasaki "special tools" for routine maintenance?

OK, as I discovered yesterday while putting in new spark plugs, the VN750 originally came with a set of tools designed for the bike. I got this bike very used and it did not come with these tools.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've found a substitute for the 18mm thinwall spark plug socket at Sears. Now, I want to change the oil, and possibly the oil filter as well. In reading ahead as to what tools I might need (not wanting to discover after draining the oil that I'm stymied at some stage), I find that the VN750 manual itself doesn't mention any particular tool, it just says "remove the filter and replace with a new one" (not very helpful). The Clymer book though, at steps 10 and 11, refers to using "the special tool and socket wrench" to remove the filter. In a separate note, it also says The easiest way to remove the oil filter is to use a Kawasaki "cap type" oil filter wrench. For 1985-1993 models, use part No. 57001-1212, on 1994 and later models, use part No. 57001-1259.

Is there any Sears-available wrench that would stand in? Or, do I just order the "special tool" from someplace that sells Kawasaki OEM parts? That's fine, I can wait a week or so to change the oil (I have to order the filter anyway)... But what other "special tools" came with the bike that I should be getting at the same time?

"Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea." (Despair.com)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 01:50 PM

Most of the "special tools" (except for that spark plug deal) are for more advanced engine repair - pulling the stator, pulling the clutch basket, reseating valves, etc. For oil changes, you can get a variable-width oil filter wrench and you'll be fine; you want to hand-tighten the filter anyway once you replace it, so I wouldn't worry about that one too much. For routine maintenace, you s/b fine with your basics (socket wrenches, combo wrenches, etc.).
C

C
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I picked up a little oil filter tool from Autozone that has worked fine for me so far..it is a disc with three spring loaded fingers on it, that open up and and clamp over the top of the filter. You use a standard 3/8 drive ratchet to turn it...which causes the fingers to tighten around the filter and twist it off. Think it cost a whole 7 bucks.

The only special tool I remember that one needs is the tool for holding the clutch basket to remove the hub...not something one needs unless they are rebuilding the engine.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 03:07 PM

I use a standard band type oil filter wrench or even a strap wrench to get my oil filter off. 17mm box wrench for the drain plugs (I pull both). I drain the majority of the oil from the bottom and finish with the side/screen.
For basic maintenance, normal automotive tools work fine. The only time you need specialty tools is when you get further into the guts of the engine and even then, there are workarounds. The clutch tool is one example. I made one from a cheap vise grip type welding clamp( the pic is posted somewhere on the site), and I used a plain bolt of the proper diameter and thread for the rotor removal tool. Together I think I spent about $6 for both of these tools. Kawasaki's price? $70 for the clutch tool and about $100 for the rotor tool. It can be done!!

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
A10 Pilot

I got a filter cup wrench from cyclegear that works like a charm. Its got a 3/8" square on the other side to ratchet the filter on/off.

VN750 A10
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Love My Baby

I would highly recommend getting a torque wrench also. I bought two clicker types at Harbor Freight Tools for a whopping $37.
(20-200 in. lbs / 20-150 ft.lbs).

Robardin, It's very important to properly torque certain components. Even the oil filter and drain plug has it's specified torque, and so do the spark plugs. I would certainly add these two torque wrenches to you list of "special tools."

Most people just tighten the oil filter 1/4 turn past hand tight, after putting some clean oil on the o-ring. Never had a problem with that, but I do know people who cracked their spark plugs or got the oil drain plug stuck by over tightening them.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Daily rider

Garage
I usually just twist off the filter with a tight grip of my hands. I put it on hand tight, and am usually able to take it off the same way. Never leaks.

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Yes , torque wrench is a good idea. but not what I'd call a "special tool" as it is not Kawasaki Vulcan specific.

Just like this special tool I use when preforming routine maintanace:

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:31 AM
Search Goddess

Well that explains a lot!

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyrick View Post
It's very important to properly torque certain components. Even the oil filter and drain plug has it's specified torque, and so do the spark plugs. ... Most people just tighten the oil filter 1/4 turn past hand tight, after putting some clean oil on the o-ring.
Hmm. I do have a torque wrench; well, I think I do -- is that not the same thing as this ratching kind of wrench?

I see Google turns up some other "torque wrenches" that have a metronome-looking thingy attached to it. I've never seen a wrench like that, though it does answer my question, "how the heck am I supposed to know how many foot-lbs. or Nms or what have you I've put on?"

I've always simply followed the "hand tighten or free-turn until it stops, then ratchet tighten 1/4 turn more" rule of thumb, and it's always come out OK.

KM: you use whiskey as an oil additive? I always thought it was a fuel mixture, for oil you need something a little more viscous like Bailey's Irish Cream. Definitely not for topping off brake fluid though, you need a clear alcohol like Vodka for that.

"Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea." (Despair.com)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement