Should I try to start it up??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Should I try to start it up???

I bought a 95 750 about two weeks ago and the owner said that it had a head gasket go out. The battery is dead so i have not tried to fire it up to see if there is any actual leaks. Is it worth getting the battery going to see if i can get it to start up?I just dont want to blow up the motor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Did prevoius owner say how the hg went? Leaking anti freeze externally, antifreeze in the cylinder, oil in the cylinder?

All different issues. Perhaps buy an inexpensive non-MF battery for starters in case it's not worth the repair.

Remove all four plugs, fog the cylinders with WD40, check the oil color and level, check cooland color and level, and turn it over with the starter and listen for any gross problems. If nothing mechanically sounds bad, start it, let it idle, watch the temp gauge and see if it leaks externally (should see stain on cylinder already if so).

If nothing leaks externally, and it does not run hot, drain oil and look for af in it, drain the af and look for oil in it.

Head gasket failure is normally due to overheating, if the hg went before any metal warpage then replace the hg and cylinder gasket (top and bottom of each cylinder).

I am about to do the same exact thing.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I got the battery to take a somewhat off a charge and once i tried to start it up the oil light came on and you could hear the sound of the starter trying to get it going. It didn't start...it has been sitting for a year so who knows. I pulled two of the plugs and they were just black but not fried or really had any build up on them. no idea where to go from here.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:48 PM

If its been sitting for a year the gas in the tank is garbage, and the carbs are probably pugged up. Some try Seafoam in the carbs to clean things out, but I'm a teardown and make sure kind of guy.

Also make sure the battery is fully charged and in good shape.

85 VN750 basketcase ( yes its a true 750, and no smog controls, its good to be Canadian)
It will have
a rebuilt 96 top end, rebuilt 85 bottom end
degoated, Eared
stripped, lowered, raked, bobbed,
reed valve boxes shaved
ported and polished
balanced
right side dump exhaust
heads and cylinders shaved for compression
looking for smoothbore sidedraft carbs
possibly fat bob tanks
modified vn800 or sportster drag pipes or I'll just make some

Chopperfix
Duck's Garage

Last edited by Duck; 08-26-2008 at 12:13 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

So i let my battery charge for 12 hours and i tried to fire it up. It would turn over and you could smell gas as it turned over. I am happy that the motor actually turned over. but I am sure it wont start due to gas issues. I have a long weekend off so its time to dump the old gas and clean the carbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement