Vulcan 750 VS Magna 750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Vulcan 750 VS Magna 750

I am currently looking at these two bikes. The Honda is a 1996, the Vulcan is going to be either a 99 or newer. I can get the Honda for $700 cheaper. I know they are different bikes, but can I get some feedback on why one would be better over the other ? My riding will be purely recreational and mostly on the weekends.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
I have a VN750 and my buddy has a 86 V45 Magna. Though similar looking, they are completely different bikes.

The V4 in the Magna is the smoothest running engine made, period. It is also much faster than the VN750 if that is a concern.

The most important thing is the riding position. The Magna has a much more feet to the rear riding position than the VN 750. I am much more comfortable on my VN 750 than on his Magna. You may be exactly the opposite.

Have to admit, running his Magna to the red line in 3 gears is exhilerating.

You have to ride both bikes to see which one you like.

Other than stator & r/r issues, the VN750 is a much lower maintenance bike.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Drive less, ride more...

I agree with Jon on this one...you really should ride both bikes, b4 making a decision.

Past that...the Magna is (as you say) a '96 model.

So that means the Magna will have an o-ring chain drive.

The Vulcan, on the other hand, will have a shaft drive.

Read up on the responsibilities of caring for a bike with a chain drive, b4 you buy one (if you're not aware, already).

It will involve a lot more attention, and effort...than the shaft drive. It's also considerably messier--cleaning, and (re)lubing a chain. This will need to be done on (at least) a periodic basis, assuming you want to truly take care of the bike.

A chain and its sprocket will have to be replaced every 20-30k miles, or so (vs the shaft, if cared for, will last the life of the bike).

This model Magna will not have a centerstand. Thus, loading or servicing (or fixing a flat) on the Magna will be more difficult.

The Magna will use more gas....but will be noticeably faster, as it was one of the "power cruisers".

Love the look of the Magna's pipes--2 on each side, very cool!!!...

Also, if you are a new(er) rider, stay away from the Magna, until you have more riding experience. In that case, the Vulcan is a much better bike for you, anyway.

Past that, both bikes were built for quite a while, so spare parts for either should be no problem.

You might also check out any Magna internet forum(s), to see if that bike had any chronic technical issues.

Hope this helps....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

excellent feedback guys, thank you very much.

PS. I am going to see a 2006 Vulcan in a few hours, with only 650 miles ! The owner is asking too much I think ($5400). Kelly Blue Book lists it as $4490. Should I just show him the print out and offer him $4500 ?

PS #2- I drove the Magna, and while being fast and solid, it felt heavy and not as nimble as I would have liked.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

here is the pic of the Honda

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Drive less, ride more...

That appears to be a Magna in "cherry" condition, although a closer look might reveal flaws/problems that could later be chronic.

Your assessment of the Magna is right on--it IS in fact a noticeably heavier bike, but with solid power. It's not called a "Magna" for nothing!!!

You'll find the Vulcan to be lighter, and more nimble feeling, and not as thirsty, but it won't have quite as much grunt off of the line. However, of the V-twin cruisers in its class, it is one of the fastest.

The answer above about your responding offer (price) is a tough one to answer, without knowing more about the '06 Vulcan in question.

If the '06 Vulcan is in very "cherry" condition, has lots of nice accessories on it (luggage rack, extended backrest, a nice windshield, Kury footpegs, good quality saddlebags, added driving/marker lights, etc), and has obviously been well cared for--then it's not inconceivable for the owner to begin by asking over $5k for the bike.

Note too, that you are shopping for a bike with fuel at (generally) over $3.50/gallon, and also at/near the peak of the riding season. So the demand for good, easy-to-feed bikes is "up" right now, for those reasons. If you were shopping for the same bike in December or January, he couldn't ask for quite as much.

Bottom line: if you feel your are being asked to pay too much, thank the person for his/her time, and walk away. I can't speak for your area there, but around here, finding late model used Vulcans is (still) not hard to do....

Hope this helps....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM

While my 06 had more miles (9k) it did come with the rack, bags windshield and crash bars. Not exactly cherry, but the fixes I've done are relatively minor.

They were asking 4200, and that seemed like a really good price compared to the other 750's I had been looking at.

If you're financing the bike, and not paying cash, you won't get a loan over the NADA value.

As my agent at the credit union told me about one dealer asking over the NADA value, they can ask all the want, but no bank will give you more than it's worth.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
That appears to be a Magna in "cherry" condition, although a closer look might reveal flaws/problems that could later be chronic.

Your assessment of the Magna is right on--it IS in fact a noticeably heavier bike, but with solid power. It's not called a "Magna" for nothing!!!

You'll find the Vulcan to be lighter, and more nimble feeling, and not as thirsty, but it won't have quite as much grunt off of the line. However, of the V-twin cruisers in its class, it is one of the fastest.

The answer above about your responding offer (price) is a tough one to answer, without knowing more about the '06 Vulcan in question.

If the '06 Vulcan is in very "cherry" condition, has lots of nice accessories on it (luggage rack, extended backrest, a nice windshield, Kury footpegs, good quality saddlebags, added driving/marker lights, etc), and has obviously been well cared for--then it's not inconceivable for the owner to begin by asking over $5k for the bike.

Note too, that you are shopping for a bike with fuel at (generally) over $3.50/gallon, and also at/near the peak of the riding season. So the demand for good, easy-to-feed bikes is "up" right now, for those reasons. If you were shopping for the same bike in December or January, he couldn't ask for quite as much.

Bottom line: if you feel your are being asked to pay too much, thank the person for his/her time, and walk away. I can't speak for your area there, but around here, finding late model used Vulcans is (still) not hard to do....

Hope this helps....

Thanks very much for the reply. I test drove the 06 and it rode well. Excellent condition. I agree with you though. I am going to wait until the fall or early winter. The owner was not willing to budge on the price even though it was stock with no extras.

PS. The Magna is in mint condition and is a looker !
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VN750 View Post
....The V4 in the Magna is the smoothest running engine made, period. ......

Guess you never rode a Honda CBX.....

I think dollars to doughnuts I'd go with the Honda, correct in not as nimble, but does have a larger tank and is a bit more comfortable..and a better perch for a passenger.

If you just want a solo bike and like the lower maintanance of shaft drive..You won't find many here knocking the Vulcan....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Guess you never rode a Honda CBX.....

I think dollars to doughnuts I'd go with the Honda, correct in not as nimble, but does have a larger tank and is a bit more comfortable..and a better perch for a passenger.

If you just want a solo bike and like the lower maintanance of shaft drive..You won't find many here knocking the Vulcan....
But I was talking about a V4, not an inline 6. Never rode a CBX, but the V4 1,100 in the V65 Magna is amazing. I hear the new Yamaha VMax V4 is in a class by itself.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement