Thinking of selling.... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of selling....

I have an '02 vn750 with windshield, saddlebags, and chrome engine guard. It has 17,000 miles on it, and is in very good condition.
All maintenance has been done, and tires (Metz ME880s) still have very good tread on them.
I am in NJ, and thinking of asking $3000 negotiable.

I am not convinced that I want to sell it because 1) this is my first bike (I have been riding for 4 yrs). I love the bike because its easy to maintain, and has been bullet proof reliable. But I have slipped discs in my lower back and when I ride it for more than a half hour, my back hurts me for the next few days. I am thinking a different kind of bike may be in order where my back isn't so vertical to the seat.
Do people think a different style bike be a solution?
If not, I will keep the 750, if so, I will probably sell it.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Dom

Last edited by dgcam55; 08-23-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Dom, I don't know exactly what to say but I will tell you my thoughts... I had back injuries from a helicopter cash in 67 and have rode a few bikes since, but nothing bigger than the VN750... I have not ridden a bike that was as easy on my back as the VN750 has been, although a larger bike might be... I do have a soft cooler that serves as a back rest on my bike...
I love the looks of the Harley xl1200 sportster but am afraid the viberation would give my back grief... That is about all I can say about the back problems and this bike...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I use a soft cooler as well and riding a 100 mile round trip everyday for the past 6 weeks I can tell a huge difference in using the cooler. thought about moving my bars back a bit too but haven't yet cause I'm not sure if I would like that on short trips without the cooler!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Benjammin'

I am one year out of back surgery (disk fusion) and wondered if I would ride again after the surgery. The thought of sitting upright while bouncing over road bumps sent chills up my repaired spine. But- I just finished my first lengthy road trip last week (180 miles) and found a few key things;
1) A back brace made the trip much, much easier. I used the one I had after the surgery, but there are many out there you can get to support your back. I could even hide mine with my vest! I recomment that step first and foremost.
2) There have been some discussions in here about back rests. That would be a great thing to consider so you could lean back a bit and not put direct pressure vertically on the back.
3) There is a lot to be said about a comfortable seat- both butt and back-wise. Though they are expensive, it is money well spent- especially if you have other potential aches and pains.
4) In consideration of another bike...It's no secret that our 750's have as much power as the bigger bikes, but the realization is that the power comes in a lighter package. That means if you get her in an off-balance lean, you are less likely to do further damage than you would a larger, heaver machine while trying to save your bike.
5) And lastly- you get another bike (or quit riding altogether), you lose contact with this great group on this forum!!

Good luck and let us know what you decide in the end!

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Hey, I second Ben's vote on the back brace (don't know why I didn't think of them), Esp. the ones with the strips in the back and good girdle type belly support... Plenty of elastic & velcro as I remember...

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Benjammin'

Yeah...after the ride with the back brace, I thought the same; "Why didn't I think of this before?" It really made a lot of difference.

Have a good one. Now- I'm off to church!

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

The reason I mentioned the belly support is that I believe it is as important as the back portion... When you have a bad back your stomach will suffer much muscle loss due to not being able to exercise it, and the stomach is the other 1/2 of your upper body support... And you just can't exercise the stomach with a bad back...
"A motorcycle can't stand alone; it is two tired" --About the same applies to the back...lol...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well, here is my take on this, being some one that went from the sit up and beg riding possition of the Vulcan to the leaned forward possition of the FJR..

If you have lower back problems you will aggravate them more on the Vulcan. Back rests and back braces can help alot, but in the end of a 300 mile day you will still feel like you been sitting on your tail bone all day.
The slightly leaned forward possition of the many sport/touring bikes, while not as far forward as the streetracers or "crotch rockets" puts most of your weight on the middle of your butt and your thighs. The advantage however of having your feet directly under you allows you to offset some of your weight by putting it on your feet. (Not that you are standing up like a dirt bike)
You do have to learn to balance yourself properly, or you will find that you end up trading lower back pain for shoulder and wrist pain. Took me awhile to learn how to sit so I was not putting my weight on my hands...but I can tell you for sure as someone with lower back problems, my back is much happier on the FJR than the Vulcan.

Another reason here is suspension and weight. Although , yeah, a heavier bike will be more of a strain to pick up (if you drop it of course) , but heavy bikes tend to ride smoother than lighter ones. Of course having a really good suspension package goes along way too. The Vulcans light weight and , sorry to say it but real crappy suspension make every bump on the road noticeable, some painfully.

My FJR , and several of the other bikes in it's class, seem to absorb alot more of these tiny to medium bumps and transmit nothing to the rider. This is due to the extra weight (inertia) and simply superior shocks and forks.

So, If you like the "cruiser" type bikes, try a test ride on one of the larger..i.e. heavier ones, like a 1500 or VTX and then try a test ride on something like a Honda ST.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

I will say this, the one that hurt my back the most (had to get rid of it) was a trials bike (Ossa Mick Andrews Replica)... That sucker near killed me, then I got a Bultoco Pursang 250 and felt much better with it... So, I really don't claim to be the most experienced with street bikes, but I had compression fractures in 67 and have rode & survived with them, although very painfully over the years... Believe it or not, my best years out of the 41 have been in the last 10-15 yrs.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I have a backrest on my bike already (And it does provide some relief). I also have an airhawk pad which I bought when I first got the bike - which I LOVE!
But none of that really resolves the problem for my lower back and the "sit up" position.

Knifemaker, I find your post interesting. If I consider another bike, I am eyeing a sport touring for the reason you have proposed, having that same line of thought. The FJR, ST, and Vstroms, and have even looked at an intercepter (though that seems even abit more aggressive).
Though I haven't ridden ANYTHING other than my vn750.

Yep...I think I am going to sell my vn750!
I have come to the realization that I am not going to enjoy it if I keep getting off of it in pain.

Any takers?
Dom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement