Vulcan 750 frame but larger engine? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
King Noob

Vulcan 750 frame but larger engine?

I am curious about the frame, do they use the same frame for different vulcan's? I am going to pretty much take everything off the frame paint it and replace stuff piece by piece. Is it possible to go with a larger engine on that frame then the 750?

Kirk
Mount Dora, Florida
1995 Vulcan 750 "Frankenstein"
It's Alive!! First ride around the block 28 July 07

Starting Milage 21,097
Current Milage 24,238
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 07:10 AM
Addicted to Projects

According to Ma-Kaw these are the only bikes used for the frame for a 95:

VN750-A10 (Vulcan 750) (1994)
VN750-A11 (Vulcan 750) (1995)
VN750-A12 (Vulcan 750) (1996)
VN750-A13 (Vulcan 750) (1997)
VN750-A14 (Vulcan 750) (1998)
VN750-A15 (Vulcan 750) (1999)
VN750-A16 (Vulcan 750) (2000)
VN750-A17 (Vulcan 750) (2001)
VN750-A18 (Vulcan 750) (2002)
VN750-A19 (Vulcan 750) (2003)
VN750-A20 (Vulcan 750) (2004)
VN750-A21 (Vulcan 750) (2005)
VN750A6F (Vulcan 750) (2006)

That being said anything can be done with the proper tools, enough time and money!

Charlie
VN700 project bike 98% completed!!
68 Bushwhacker this winters project (in the works)
86 Honda GL1200i (winter project #2)
82 kz440 daily rider for now!

A few clowns short of a circus now aren't we?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
King Noob

Ok, so I am guessing the frame would have to be modified for a larger engine? How much modifying might be required? I know that most likely there is no exact answer, just wondering if it is something worth attempting. I would most likely have to take it to someone else to modify as I have no welding experience.

Can fenders, tanks, seats, speedo/odometer, etc be put on from other vulcans? Even if I can't throw a larger engine in it, would it be possible to do that? I like the looks of the vulcan cruisers. I want to have the joys and pains of completely takeing a bike down and starting from scratch. I can't think of his name on the forums but I know he did it with his bike. its red and his sig says something like fire and ice. I would like to do the same but make the bike more of a cruiser then the 750 is. I know I could just buy a larger vulcan but that would take 1/2 the fun out of it.

My current engine needs some major love as it has many things wrong with it and if I am gonna pull it I might as well go the whole mile right? Anyways I am not sure if any of this is possible but if someone knows, it would be someone here on the forums!!

Kirk
Mount Dora, Florida

Starting Milage 21,097
Current Milage 24,238

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If you can find one that will fit, then yes, you can.

What kind of engine do you have in mind?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
King Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
If you can find one that will fit, then yes, you can.

What kind of engine do you have in mind?

To be honest I am not really sure, was thinking it might be better to stick with vulcan engines since they might be more likely to fit the frame better. I doubt the 1500 would fit, not sure if they made anything inbetween that and the 800. I am just exploring options right now and then going to start estimating cost and needs.

Kirk
Mount Dora, Florida

Starting Milage 21,097
Current Milage 24,238
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well, if I were to do it....I would stick in one of those Rotax? V twins. The 1500 or even the 800 would not be much of an inprovement power wise.
The Rotax engines are good proven platforms..See the Buel here:
http://tinyurl.com/24q6qq

The Rotax ...that I think they use in a few other bikes too is small but puts out some decent HP.

Of course you'd have a job dealing with connecting to a shaft drive, better would to go to new wheels and a chain or belt drive.

so...you are talking about pretty much building a bike from the ground up but using a vulcan frame.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
Ok, so I am guessing the frame would have to be modified for a larger engine? How much modifying might be required? I know that most likely there is no exact answer, just wondering if it is something worth attempting. I would most likely have to take it to someone else to modify as I have no welding experience.

Can fenders, tanks, seats, speedo/odometer, etc be put on from other vulcans? Even if I can't throw a larger engine in it, would it be possible to do that? I like the looks of the vulcan cruisers. I want to have the joys and pains of completely takeing a bike down and starting from scratch. I can't think of his name on the forums but I know he did it with his bike. its red and his sig says something like fire and ice. I would like to do the same but make the bike more of a cruiser then the 750 is. I know I could just buy a larger vulcan but that would take 1/2 the fun out of it.

My current engine needs some major love as it has many things wrong with it and if I am gonna pull it I might as well go the whole mile right? Anyways I am not sure if any of this is possible but if someone knows, it would be someone here on the forums!!
Anything will pretty much fit anything - it comes down to how deep your pockets are if you can't weld, paint etc etc.

Personally, I like the 750 motor but the length of the bike itself for me is a little short so with saying that, I'm on the prowl for an old front damaged Amen Saviour Butt frame that I can can cut the rear suspension off and graft on to a 3 inch +/- .5" longer back section, which will require a longer drive shaft but that's not an issue (forgot to measure Pauls 88 shaft while he was here grrrr).

I think it was Edalbriss that built a rigid 750 which is where I'll be drawing the inspiration for the rear frame design from. Pre testing on an old bent 750 frame shows that with a little extra space, the rear head pipe can exit almost horizontal (crossing over) with the rear barrel - whether that's a good thing remains to be seen, it appears way to close to my leg. The tank (from a rather bent XVS650) can be made to fit as can the airbox and single air cleaner assembly - but I'll be looking at a tank off a Vulcan 88, plus the extra frame space allows the fitting of the electric fuel pump off the Vulcan 88 also.

Gotta thank Paul for letting me use the fuel pump off his 88 - the bugger wouldn't let me tax his dash/speedo for testing though but they look pretty close so I'll make it fit, with the ignition relocated to the left front side of the frame.

Hope all that has given you some ideas.

Last edited by compadres_carl; 08-23-2008 at 08:13 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
King Noob

I appreciate the reply and I figured as much. My pockets are definetly not deep and I cannot weld so I am out of luck for now. I will strip everything down, repaint starting witht he frame and redo the engine replacing all gaskets and what not and stick with what I have. Thanks for the info!!

Kirk
Mount Dora, Florida

Starting Milage 21,097
Current Milage 24,238
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
I appreciate the reply and I figured as much. My pockets are definetly not deep and I cannot weld so I am out of luck for now. I will strip everything down, repaint starting witht he frame and redo the engine replacing all gaskets and what not and stick with what I have. Thanks for the info!!
JMO...Not trying to pee on your want to, but now I think you are on the right track......
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Amen to what Old Dog says above. If this is your first project I think you will find a basicly stock rebuild a lot more confidence building and a lot less frustrating. After gaining experience on this you will be much better prepared to decide if you are prepared with the skills needed to basicly build a new bike. There are at least two sets of photos here that show frames being cut and modified. I believe the one was done by a member called Edalweiss or some similar spelling. Doug from Edmonton has a photo journal showing his project building a 750 Honda chopper. His estimate of time spent was 1000 hours over 19 months I believe. I will get the sites and put them in another post if your`e interested. I hate to see somebody start a project and get discouraged half way through. Good luck and I hope you have it ready to ride by next summer. Later--OlHoss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement