Preventative Maintenance Schedule - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via AIM to PoggiPj
Question List of vn750 Problems by miles?

Have one of our members produced a comprehensive list of vn750 specific issues and the potential mods/fixes, in the order of the miles they typically occur?

If not, I would like to take ownership of creating one. All I need is input from folks here regarding component failure and the mileage at when it occurred.

For example, I knew that at around 65,000 miles, my 85 Honda Accord should get a new timing belt - and while you had the belt off, you should change the water pump because because it typically failed at approximately the same time. I also learned that the master cylinders failed at around 110K miles. The result: that accord served me from 1985 to 2000, when I passed it to my daughter who passed it to my son who finally donated it after almost 20years.

So, with your help, I'd like to build and post a schedule of what can/should be done at different milage points, coupling together mods where it makes sense. Possibly with links to good pictorial write-ups by our members. Hopefully this can stave off what could become an emergency roadside situation a long way from home.

I am talking about the VN750 specific vulnerabilities that cause downtime and expense like...
  • R/R relocation
  • Stator winding & cover mod
  • checking or tightening the Balancer bolt
  • Spline lube
  • Clutch shift pawl
  • Cam chain tensioner

Any thoughts? And if such a chart already exists, please tell me where to find it.

Regards,
Pete in Gaithersburg, MD

1996, 6,000 miles
Relocated R/R, Corbin seat, Plexifairing III, Sunpro Voltmeter, Sears MF.
Xelement X840 Saddlebags

Last edited by PoggiPj; 08-21-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Every owners manual has a fairly good periodic maintenance chart, so not really sure what more one could add.

Stuff like R/R relocation is not of course, but not what I would call "periodic"

There is/was a list of things for new owners to know , a FAQ sheet is around somewhere...I know new members at the Yahoo group get one emailed to them.

The other thing is being a member of this group and reading the Verses...you will pretty much be covered...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I'm not talking about oil changes, radiator flushes, or checking tire pressure. I'm talking about the VN750 specific vulnerabilities that cause downtime and expense like the ones I mentioned in the list.

If I just picked up a VN750 with 35,000 miles, I sure would like to know that the (insert component here) typically failed at around 40,000 miles. I would focus my reading of the verses on that component, and the ones that usually failed before 35,000, so that I could get a jump on the problem.

Regards,
Pete in Gaithersburg, MD

1996, 6,000 miles
Xelement X840 Saddlebags

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 05:34 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

I get whatcha mean, I have typicaly noticed that most Stators on our bikes seem to fail at approx. 18-20K miles "if they are going to fail" from everyone that I spoken to on that matter. Mine failed at 18K

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoggiPj View Post
I'm not talking about oil changes, radiator flushes, or checking tire pressure. I'm talking about the VN750 specific vulnerabilities that cause downtime and expense like the ones I mentioned in the list.....
Ok, got the concept , but still unclear on the use. If say stators seem to go out around 18-20 thousand miles..if they go out.. what are you proposing? Replacing one before it does? How can you be sure it will?

I'm all for any guide or chart that is usefull to me as an owner, but bikes do not conform to specific timelines. I have seen stators go out on fairly new bikes and also seen some 87 models with the stock stator stil in place after 50K on the odo.

Everyone should know about lubing the splines , adjusting the ACCT or replacing the springs..(or switching to a manual one which seems the best move)
Can you check the Balancer bolt without cracking open the case?

I guess what I am getting to is most of us go with the fix it if it fails mindset...as not sure who here would replace a perfectly working stator because there might be a chance it could fail. No one messes with the ACCT till they have to, and there really are not that many "componets" on the Vulcan to begin with.

I never relocated the R/R on my bike and I had zero problems with it electricaly...even with running driving lights.

Perhaps I am oversimpifing it all and just do not see the point of your request...

KM

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Perhaps I am oversimpifing it all and just do not see the point of your request...

KM
I can see a use for what he is talking about putting together. No one wouldnt replace a stator at 18K because thats about when they "might" go out, but it's when one maybe should keep a closer eye out for any problems that might occure with a bad stator. So if an issue does arrise someone can say "hey that might be the problem that I read about" prior to it happining. Just a small amount of heads up through others experiances.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Right. I might even decide to bid on a stator on eBay. Maybe I have 15k miles and I'm planning a trip in the spring. And I learn that most, not all, stators tend to fail at around 20K miles. Yeah - maybe i'm nuts enough to pull the engine, check it out, and cut the cover the winter before.

I've found over the years that having information ahead of time generally is better than not having it. Let me ask you - do you think that there is anything specifically wrong about compiling and having that kind of information available?

Regards,
Pete in Gaithersburg, MD

1996, 6,000 miles
Xelement X840 Saddlebags

Last edited by PoggiPj; 08-21-2008 at 07:57 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoggiPj View Post
... Let me ask you - do you think that there is anything specifically wrong about compiling and having that kind of information available?

No, I don't think there is anything wrong with having that type of information available , and I wish you good luck in getting it all together. I can not really help you as I never had any issues with my bike. But there are those here that have it seems. Perhaps a poll for specific item failures would be a way to start.

Sorry if it sounded like I was pooping on your idea. You have to understand that I have owned, rode and worked on motorcycles all my life, so I kinda already know what things to keep an eye on.
And as mentioned, forums like this one do a pretty good job of pointing out a specific models flaws , weaknesses and , for that matter strengths...so for me I still do not really see a use for the kind of guide or chart you are talking about...but I am sure there are those that would find it very usefull.

KM

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Not at all Knifemaker, I appreciate your input.

Regards,
Pete in Gaithersburg, MD

1996, 6,000 miles
Xelement X840 Saddlebags
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Live Long and Prosper

Send a message via AIM to Live Long and Prosper
Personally, a list as you speak of would be good for me. As mentioned before, it would be nice to be able to maybe pay more attention to a given component once it hits the "vulnerable" zone. I could start to put away cash beforehand to cover such an "unexpected" event and such.
I'd like to have some clue as to how long components last. Even if the list is quite admittedly, a WAG (wild-assed-guess) and the thing may break outside of the zone, if at all.
I've always had good luck with vehicles. Things have tended to last with me for some reason. I tend to not mess with factory parts until they give me a reason to.
But a list such as you speak of would at the very minimum allow me to set aside some funds for possible events. That way, I wouldn't get caught with my pants down money-wise, when the whatever-it-is breaks.
Press on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement