Thanks, here's a few more ?'s - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, here's a few more ?'s

Hi again thank you for the reply. I have a few more questions on the 03 VN 750. I called the dealer where the bike was purchased and yes it was the stator that was replaced just this last May. Like I said the bike only has 1,800 miles on it. It also has a new battery. It looks brand new and has had the 600 mile service as well as a service this spring. My only concern is it having the two problems and it only being 2 years old. I am new to riding and not mechanically inclined so I really don't want to be riding down the road and lose all power to the bike. And I would not expect to with a newer bike.Do you think the stator will go again?? And can you explain what causes it to go?? My husband just sold his 84 GPZ 550 he bought when he was 18 and never in 20 years had any problems. I don't know if I am over reading on the bike and seeing the problems of a handfull of people or if this bike really has issues. My husband drove it yesterday and was impressed, he said it drove and handled very well and the seat was one of the most comfortable he has been on. He had it up to 100 and said it was still running very smooth. I looked and the book value is 3,200 to 4,200. I think 4,000 is fair because of the low milage and the extended warranty. Thanks and any thought are appreciated, Megan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:44 AM

Re: Thanks, here's a few more ?'s

If the stator was already replaced on this bike in that short of a life, I would NOT purchase this bike. Every bike maker has its lemons and I definitely got Kawasaki's when I purchased mine. If I would have sold it when I replaced the stator the first time, I would have been a lot better off and some other sucker would be swearing at it. I don't understand what causes the stator to die and I fused my stator and always checked and changed oil properly, other bikes don't seem to have this big of a problem with the stator with the exception of a few (maybe more than I'm unaware of). The other problem you will find if you buy the bike you're looking at is the driveshaft splines will be dry with red powder, I guarantee it, that year sucked for those problems. That will take out the differential pinion gear and require about $1000 to repair if done at dealer and around $400 if you do it with a used part. There must be good VN750's out there otherwise they wouldn't have so many people who love them, but you need to look wisely and decide which one is the lemon and which one will last for years without a problem. Good luck.
Justin
Ex-2003 VN750 owner
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Justin, you do have me nervous. I don't need to buy something that will end up giving me grief. I think I will go with my original want which is the 05 vstar in raspberry/silver liquid. I just thought it might be smarter to get something with a little better performance.But I have read just as much on the vstars and there does not seem to be any real problems to speak of. Thanks

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 03:00 PM

From what I've seen on this forum, the 2003 models seem to have had more than their share of problems. However, the 2004 and 2005 models don't seem to have many serious issues. I've had my 2004 VN 750 for nearly a year now and put about 5,300 miles on it. The only problem I experienced was the choke cable binding due to improper routing on the handlebar, which the dealer fixed under warranty. I had it serviced at 500 miles and a bit over 3,000 miles. I had the driveshaft splines lubed at the last service, but they were OK from the factory.

It's unfortunate some people have had some bad problems with their bike. It's really a great machine. I've met and ridden with a number of other VN 750 owners and they all love the way it handles and it's relative low maintenance. Remember that this bike has been in production for 20 years with minimal changes along the way. Owners on this forum have bikes spanning the full range of production. That is one reason so many problems are discussed here.

Wally Colly

2004 VN750 "Freedom"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Forum Faciliator

Correct, most of the time people don't post when all is well and fine, they just post when they want something or have problems. That being said, my bike is running like a top and has over 19,000 miles on it. I do all my own work, and I knew nothing about bikes before I got it, and I'm not a mechanic. If you know how to read, get a shop manual and know the difference between a screwdriver and a wrench, you can keep this bike in top notch running condition yourself.

RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall
...snip... Owners on this forum have bikes spanning the full range of production. That is one reason so many problems are discussed here.

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement