Side Stand - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Dan

Question Side Stand

I have a new VN750. There's a real bad and dangerous design flaw in the side stand on this bike, in my opinion. The stand, when put down, does not touch the ground far enough foreward. I almost dropped the bike several times, and would have eventually. So I ground off about 3/16 inch of metal from the "stop" that the stand comes up against when it is down. That 3/16 inch translated into about ONE INCH where the stand hits the ground. I hope I'm making myself clear; the stand now touches the ground in a more foreward position, and at a greater angle to the bike, so the bike is not nearly as likely to roll forward and tip over. Am I the only one for whom this has been a problem?
Dan - Seattle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Forum Faciliator

Re: Side Stand

No Dan, the sidestand does kick back easy, and a lot of new folks drop the bike that way. Always park in gear, always try to park nose uphill rather than down hill.

When I park and put my stand down, I leave it in gear, turn the engine off and let go of the clutch and roll the bike forward the little bit it wants to go and then make sure my stand is all the way forward. If you do this you won't have a problem with the kickstand, and I've never had a problem with the kickstand not staying where it should.

RB

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Re: Side Stand

Thanks, Red Baron. Yeah, I was real paranoid about my side stand because the bike always seems like it was just on the verge of tipping over. The little modification I made has made a world of difference.

Dan-Seattle

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 10:19 PM

Thumbs up Re: Side Stand

This side stand uniqueness is from the beginning of the Series I have 86 VN750 does the same exact thing. I unfortunately dropped mine before getting the hang of rolling it forward as the previous post said. Interesting only thing damaged was the front brake lever. My bike is down right now waiting for a right engine cover gasket. I think this is the last bike I will buy to rebuild.
Ed
86 VN750
"Leonidas"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 09:02 AM

Question Re: Side Stand

Do this modification to the side stand stop cause any problems with the kick stand cutoff switch?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Dan

Talking Re: Side Stand

>>>>Does this modification to the side stand stop cause any problems with the kick stand cutoff switch?

Not at all. There is room to spare. I am 100% more "at ease" with the side stand since I made this little modification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement