windshield - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks kanevil just ordered the shield.I like the no holes mounting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montipelier Misfits View Post
I also just got a National Cycle Street Shield EX, switched over from a V Force shield put on by PO. The V Force was okay with a full face helmet, but I like to wear my half helmet and the wind would hit my helmet just right and rattle my head making it hard to see at interstate speeds no matter what position I put it so I went with the taller natioanl cycle shield and so far like it. Bought it from CruiserCustomizing.com.
I just put a v-force on my bike yesterday and can already tell that my half helmet won't work with it. So the street shield ex did the trick? The retailer lists it as 18H and 19W... is the 18, 18" above the headlight or 18 top to bottom edge? I can see that the 19 width is greater than the v-force, but if it's 18 overall, that seems to match my v-force height.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickoz View Post
The retailer lists it as 18H and 19W... is the 18, 18" above the headlight or 18 top to bottom edge?
Just answered my own question... from the FAQ on National Cycle "All the windshields in our catalogue and on our web site list the mounted height (distance from the headlight cutout to the top of the screen) and the width."

That means the street shield EX would add about 3" to the height I currently have in the v-force. That would be great if it lets me use my half helmet again.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 AM

I have a Plexifairing III. I wouldn't go anywhere without it. At high speeds, from 60 to 85 or so, the bike is rock solid when on a road without other vehicles.
When I get on I-5 and there's lots of traffic all around me, which is the norm for I-5 in this neck of the woods, the bike tends to wiggle more than I prefer.
The disrupted airflow caused by 18-wheelers and such can play a small bit of havoc when you have a "sail" on the front. But the bike might also do that wiggle anyway since the weight of the bike plus me is only around 730 pounds or so.
There's no doubt in my mind is that life with a windshield is better than life without one.
Fatigue will get to the strongest biker ever born eventually. Let the windshield fight the wind and bugs.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I went from a 18" windshield to a PF III and it makes the world of difference. No more wind beating you and I think handling is improved because you can concentrate on the road. I bought mine on Ebay just to try, figuring it would resell. This is the first bike I've ever had a WS on but I can guarantee it won't be the last!!

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:13 AM

Hey, Scooter
What brand of windshield do you have? It looks about the height I would think I would need, but sometimes pix play tricks... LOL!

I used to have a Silhouette Fairing (fancy word for long windshield) on a Honda CX-500 I used to ride and NO wind got past that thing! Would almost burn ya up to ride it very far in the summer! I don't feel like I need QUITE that much shield. I'm enjoying the wind a bit now to just cruise up and down the boulevard, but on the interstate, it's almost enough to tear ya out of the saddle, especially when a big truck goes whizzing by!

So, you like yours ok?
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:17 PM

I like the National Cycle shield because it gives good protection, more then V-force did yet not as big as the PF III as I do like some wind, but also like to have some protection on the highways. Fits the bill perfectly and won't break the bank, relatively cheap compared to most windshields.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 03:59 PM

I had a Plexi II on there and could not get it adjusted to a comfortable position and hated looking through it at night. Replaced it with a v-force and suddenly found out just how much air the plexi was blocking. I really like the look of the v-force, especially with the etched Vulcan symbol, but I think I need something in between.

Just ordered the 18" Street Shield EX through JC Whitney... $99.99 with free shipping today and no sales tax! Hopefully that will do the trick and if so, I will be offering up a barely used v-force for sale next week.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickoz View Post
I had a Plexi II on there and could not get it adjusted to a comfortable position and hated looking through it at night. .

You do know that many cut their shields down so they can see over them don't you?
I had a Plexistar II that was cut down 3-4 inches...worked out great.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
You do know that many cut their shields down so they can see over them don't you?
I had a Plexistar II that was cut down 3-4 inches...worked out great.

KM
I do know that and it's a great suggestion. I should have mentioned that the Plexi II was installed by the PO and he managed to put some big unattractive scratches on it (not in the field of view fortunately). The scratches put it on my "to be replaced" list even if I had liked the setup.

I didn't want to step up to the larger Plexi III, and there are very few sellers with Plexi II's, so I've been searching for something new that won't need to be cut down right away.

I managed to lower and tilt the Plexi II enough that I could look over it (I'm just over 6' tall) but with reflection/glare I lost nighttime visibility on the closest section of the road... leading to some spine jarring manhole cover encounters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement