Need your expertise ASAP - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Need your expertise ASAP

Hi all I am new to this forum and found it looking for info on the vulcan 750. I am thinking of buying an 03 with 1,800 miles on it. It has an extended warranty until april 07. The asking price was $4,800 but he has come down to 4,000. He said the first year the bike was over heating and a burned out wire was replaced. Then earlier this year he lost all power and needed $1,000 worth of repair and was told it was because he did not remove the baterry over the winter. The bike looks brand new, there are no extras on it. Do you think this is a good price? Also I was planning on a vstar 650 or shadow 750, then I went and looked at the vulcan and I really think it looks neat. How does it perform compared to the other two I mentioned? I am pretty new to riding and started out with my Savage which is a great starter bike but boring after a while. Please help me out I want to know if this will be a good bike to get and am a little concerned with the two problems he had seeing as the bike is fairly new with low miles. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 11:45 PM

Re: Need your expertise ASAP

Well I think that the Vulcan is a better bike than the others you mentioned as in: A very nice machine to ride and made for the road. The battery thing you mentioned is typical on any bike that you store over the winter. I assume the 1000.00 price tag in service was due to maybe a new stator and Regulator + labor total rip off . It is not that big of a deal if the stator goes and the wire burning out was probably the wire going behind the radiator that goes to the switch on the rear brakes (common). I would check on the used car guide and see what the average for that year is going and then deal that way. Remember they are only about 6000.00 new once it goes off the showrrom you know it looses a lot of value. If it has been sitting for a while he should have some kind of maintenance log on it. Battery, oil, is it old gas? You know look around the bike if it has bad or dirty oil in it I would change it right away as the oil is used to cool the stator and if it is bad and old it might not keep its cooling properties after a while. What has he done to it during storage ? Did he start it once in a while take it for a ride? Seals go bad in the engine along with o-rings if no oil is on them for long periods just rambling but just make sure it is not just a pretty bike, must be functional ......................Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement