painted gauge bezels - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

painted gauge bezels

ok so heres a couple pictures of my latest project... i noticed that the gauge bezels have a tendancy to rust on the bikes... seen it in some of the user pics.... so i decided instead of getting new ones id paint them... i talked to my fiancee and we decided on just a nice gloss black... heres the pictures... ill explain as i go along..

ok here is what i did here....i took all the hardware off that i could and labeled it so i didnt forget what went were... i bought a wide roll of the blue 3m painters tape... i masked off the face of the gauge and used a razor blade to cuz it so it was flush with the inside ring of the bezel and i went around the underside of the bezel lip... basicly i covered all of the white plastic underneath... then i took a plastic bag and put the wires inside of it and then wrapped the rest of the gauge in the tape.... made a pretty nice seal.... i used one of those green scrubber pads (cant remember the name) to take off the majority of the rust (could also use sandpaper) .... i wiped it down with some mineral spirits and then used another one to scuff up the metal.... then mineral spirits again... i repeated till it was nice and clean..

i found that the gauge fit nicely in the roll of tape so i grabbed a plastic bag and covered it like so... worked perfectly for this.... so i wrapped the tape roll and then i was ready to paint...

ok so the first thing to go on was primer.... i did 2 nice coats and it turned out nice and smooth... if yours isnt smooth enough for your likeing you might try sanding it down with a very high grit paper or wet sanding.... follow instructions on the paint cuz most have different drying times...

ok so this is after my primer and 2 coats of black..... now this is with a can of valucraft jet black from autozone that i just had laying around so i did it with the cheap stuff and it turned out pretty good... i let that dry and i did 2 good coats of clear on them....

after about 18-20 hours i got to antsy so i had to unrap them..... take a razor blade to the gauge face and lay it on its side so you can cut the paint inbetween the bezel and the gauge face.... be carefull while doing this cuz you dont want to cut too hard and scratch the gauge face...... also do the same on the underside of the bezed where you taped to you dont tear any of the paint while taking the tape off...

the next 2 pics i let it out to dry for like another 2 days just to make sure it was completely dry.... after that i took a buffing cloth to the clear coat and tried to buff it up but im lazy and didnt get too far.... if you have a nice rotary buffer i suggest bolting the bracket back on and putting it in a vise so you can buff it up nice and good...

and here is the finished product.... i think it looks 100,000 times better than the stock brushed aluminum!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Search Goddess

Good job!
Told ya that black looked good on there

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

yeah im glad i did it.... theres going to be lots of tuff happening to that bike soon so ill keep ya informed!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Looks pretty sharp in the last pic of clean up, just before paint. I'm a sucker for that clean, bare metal look though...

Nice job!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

i would ok loved to keep them that brushed aluminum but you could start to see the yellowing of what might have been copper or bronze showing through.....but anything is better than rust!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 AM

very nice job. i want to do mine but i have to stop riding the bike first! when i get around to doing it i will take my time like you did. (need a couple of rain days in a row to shut her down)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

BigRepp - Thanks so much for the step by step! REALLY looks nice!! I'm planning on the gloss black as well, as I don't think a chrome paint will come out as nice. Probably make it look like a cheap plastic toy. Thanks again!

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced
Voltmeter Installed
Splines Lubed
Metzler 880 Marathons
Front - 110/90-19
Rear - 170/80-15
Carbs Balanced
Carb Mix Adjusted
Fuel Tank Derusted/Lined/Sealed
NGK Iridium Plugs
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Vulcan Traitor ;)

Send a message via Yahoo to Keemez
That more or less is an exact copy of what I did with mine. Nice!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Looks sharp! Great job!

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I am going to paint mine to match the wild paint scheeme I have lined up in my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement