Exhaust - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust

I have a neighbor who is a bit of a handful. He's got me closing my yard gate a certain way and turning my side porch light off because it shines on his bedroom ceiling at night. I don't have a problem being reasonable with this guy. He's 75 and had cancer in the distant past.

Yesterday I changed a fuel line on my 750 and started her up. He came over and asked me why I was running my bike all the time. He feels I'm idling the bike too long and it's annoying him. Today he informs me by law I'm only aloud to idle the bike for three minutes in NJ. Motor vehicle online says yes to a motorized vehicle for 3 min but that's not warming her up. I think we are talking about two separate issues here. You can idle for 15 minutes when the temp is below 25 degrees. There doesn't seem to be any information specifically on a motorcycle. Everyone knows it takes longer than three minutes for our bikes to warm up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Last edited by Mike DeAngelo; 10-26-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:54 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
It's a sad world when the state tells you how long you can run a vehicle on your own land

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:33 PM
Old Fart

Garage
So, you don't have a stock exhaust?

It's not a matter of how long you run your bike...it's when. Between 8 am and 10 pm you should be able to make noise without "disturbing the peace" ....

I'd tell the guy to fuk off.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 PM

Well, just an ornery old fart. But, we gotta love em. I'd check the law real good on that one though. Psssshhhhhttt!!! My neighbors are far enough away that it doesn't matter. The joys of country life.

2005 Vulcan 1500 Classic FI

Previous bike: 2002 Vulcan 750

Last edited by pmassey31545; 10-27-2015 at 09:44 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 12:29 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

NJ must have some crazy laws. I am always working on my vehicles. That includes 4 cars as well as the bikes. All have stock exhausts, except the '93 S10, which has a hot rodded small block and glasspack mufflers. Fortunately, I live on a street where at least half the people are also into cars. The guy down the street has 3 sons, and they are all into rice cars. And they always have a lot of friends coming over to work on their cars. The guy right across the street has a Corvette and a lifted 4x4 truck, both with loud pipes. Another guy has a collection of 5 vintage cars and trucks. He took up most of his yard with a concrete slab, so he could legally park all of them on an "improved" surface, as required by city ordinance.

OTOH, if you have a fireplace here, it is practically worthless. About 9 out of 10 days are "no burn" days, and you can be fined if you use your fireplace. Christmas has been a no burn day for the past few years. They are constantly putting out "high pollution advisory" alerts all summer, yet the air is crystal clear.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Mod

Turn the tables on him. Ask if there is something he needs done around his house. Bring his garbage cans in for him. Clear the snow or cut his grass once in awhile. Grab a couple beers and go sit and talk. Kill him with kindness. Works for me. I clear the blocks snow every winter, never get told to keep it quiet and I had V&H without the baffles and work afternoons. Still get cookies and a pie for Christmas.

2003 1600 Classic
Sold
900 Seat Mod
Iradiun Plugs
V and H Cruzers
Windshield with Lowers
LED Tail Lights
Saddle bags
Chads Floor boards
Highway pegs
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Alpha Geek

There is no motorcycle-specific information because it applies across the board to all gasoline motor vehicles whether passenger vehicles or otherwise. There's a separate chapter or subchapter for diesels.

NJAC 7:27-15.8.

You can argue that the primary power source (engine) is utilized in whole/part for necessary warming up that is "definitively prescribed" by the manufacturer before safe and reliable operation on public roadways. You'd want something in a Kawasaki manual stating that it should be properly warmed before use.

Section b subsection 3.
Motor vehicles whose primary and/or secondary power source is utilized in whole or in part for necessary and definitively prescribed mechanical operation other than propulsion. This use includes, but is not limited to, operating lift gate pumps and controlling cargo temperature. This exemption does not apply to passenger compartment heating or passenger compartment air conditioning;

You are clearly okay with:

Section b subsection 6.
Motor vehicles while being repaired or serviced, provided that operation of the engine is essential to the proper repair or service;

You'll find state websites quoting the traffic and emergency exemptions, but they don't like to advertise these others.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 02:51 PM

Provided your bike is not excessively loud and you are letting it warm up or even tuning it a little during normal hours I would post a No Trespassing sign and politely tell him to leave your property. Let him call the police with a "noise" complaint. Almost all officers will see your side of things. I would also let him know your back yard light is to prevent burglars from roaming around and suggest he close his curtains if he finds the light annoying. If he annoys the cops enough with his complaints they will just file him away as a nut job. 75 and cancer is not a "I can be an ******* card."

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement