Engine Quits Suddenly - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Jon

Engine Quits Suddenly

Hello Everyone,
I purchased a 1991 Vulcan 750 a couple of months ago from a local couple who are unable to ride any longer. The bike is in excellent shape and has roughly 18,000 miles. I have been riding the bike to and from work every day and have had no problems with it until yesterday.
I had been on the road around 45 minutes traveling 65mph when the engine quit suddenly as if you had turned off the ignition. No hiccups or sputters. The fuel tank is 3/4 full. I tried everything including reserve with no effect. Luckily there was a corner store where I could pull over. The battery is new on the bike and the motor spun quickly when I tried to restart. There was plenty of fuel flow. after about ten minutes the engine fired right up and I rode it home.
Would anyone have any ideas or thoughts? My thought right now is oncoming ignitor module failure.
I would appreciate any ideas.
I did want to add that the last couple of weeks I have noticed that it would sputter a time or two while at highway speed, but would continue running.

Thanks,
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:56 PM

Re: Engine Quits Suddenly

Check the routing of the choke cable. I had a similar problem shortly after getting my 2004 VN 750. The choke cable was getting pinched when I turned the handlebars, activating the choke. I couldn't start the engine until it cooled down and it sputtered when running. Once the choke cable routing was fixed the problem went away.

Wally Colly

2004 VN750 "Freedom"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 08:49 AM

My 03 acted that way a couple of weeks ago on a 90-mile run. It quit twice on me, like I'd shut the ignition off. I had plenty of fuel, but switched it to reserve and it fired right back up again. I would switch it back to the normal fuel-on position while rolling, and it kept running for 30 or so miles. I was thinking it may have just been a shot of bad fuel, maybe a little water. I never opened the fuel tank while I was setting on the side of the road, so I don't think it was a venting problem. This past weekend, I rode it to Dallas and back 419 miles and it never sputtered or quit once. Whatever it was, it's not doing it now.

CD in Frederick, OK

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Jon

Thanks for the ideas fellows, I will check the choke cable routing and and see if it is pinching. Last night I ran it for a while and moved the key around in the ignition switch to see if the contacts might be shorting but I could not replicate the problem. It ran like a champ. I feel this is a ghost in the ignition system. Tonight I will trace the harnesses to see if I have a floating ground or a wire shorting against the frame somewhere.
I would really like to get to the bottom of this as I would like to take the bike on longer trips but I don't trust it now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 05:51 PM

I had the same problem, it started to show if i turned my bars to the left, but then it would happen spontnaiously. Like you indicate, just like someone turned the ignition off, so i eventaully realized that was just the problem, i replaced the ignition and what a difference, the bike even seems to be more powerful, and pronounced. Easy starting no matter what.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 12:46 AM

Yeah the mystery dead engine. Same story exactly..VN750 is getting on my nerves..especially sitting on a busy highway waiting for it to restart...sucks big time. I noticed the vaccuum hose from carbs were just lying on under tank and not connected to the right side air cleaner. Dont push it in all the way into the housing ..half way is enough to hold it in place and get suction. Cleaned out tank. Drained carbs. Also dump a ton of SeaFoam to clean out carbs. Have other issues but dead engine seems to be history. Oh yeah is an "old" 2000 VN750.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Jon

I have finally narrowed my problem down to the ignition switch also. I bought and installed the Yuasa MF battery and it did make a difference in starting and the bike seems to run better. I didn't have any more of the engine quitting until the other night. We took a trip out to Smithville and the bike ran great. On the way home around 10:00pm we were cruising 65 and off she went like before. I let her glide down a few seconds and then cycled the ignition switch while still rolling. She came back to life like it never happened and ran fine all of the way home. I am certain it is a switch problem and will replace it after I repair the leak in the right side of the fuel tank. (It's always something).

Thanks and hope all of this has been of some help to others,

Jon
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Double check to make sure your battery connections are still tight (been there..). Do you use a key ring? After reading other riders recommendations, I don't have anything on my key (no key ring, no leather, no other keys) and when not riding, I store the key in the pocket watch pocket of my jeans. No matter what you have on your key, it will cause some kind of problem.

On another bike I have, it has a piece of soft plastic; this resulted in a wear mark on the finish. It polished up the aluminum nicely after wearing through paint.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement