Vulcan 900 issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Vulcan 900 issues

First, like most of you here, I love my VN750! It's my everyday rider now. For the first time since I bought her I was asked what year she was. I said '91' and the guy said, I haven't seen a bike like that around in a long time (yes, I know they haven't changed but why ruin it). The girl with him commented on the bike as well. I'm wondering if the time is coming when people will try and return these bike to original. I've looked at getting a box of things rechromed over the winter but I'm holding off for now. One place I checked into that comes highly recommended said they no longer do plastic. I'm wondering if other competing chroming technologies wouldn't be a viable solution in the future.

Since I've spent so much time on my 750 I neglected to check out the 900. The rear caliper brake assembly was in a really bade state. the seals actually were poking out of one of the pistons. Brake pads needed changing so I took the caliper off to look more closely at the piston problem and take the pads off when the pin wouldn't budge after taking out the cotter pin. I banged on it, heated it, used vice grips and finally cut it in half. The one side sliped right out. It must have seized into the brake assembly. I still can't get it out of the caliper and am thinking I'll need to soak it in brake fluid. Still, I don't think this will work as I think its fused in the assembly. My guess is overheating due to low brake pads. Brake fluid was low as well. I went on Ebay and bought a 900 rear brake caliper and asked that they insure the pin comes out before shipping. It's off a 2012 VN900 from one of those newly popular motorcycle salvage yards that are creeping onto Ebay. I like the way the do business supplying videos and what not. Two vendors have taken a much lower price on parts as most offer a "best offer" option.

In the end I'm not too concerned about getting the 900 going. My 750 is running fine.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:11 AM

Garage
I just did the rear brakes on my 900 and know the pin you're taking about. I made sure I put some caliper grease on it when I put it back on. On mine that little cotter pin was a bugger to get out.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 10:01 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Just put a new transmission pulley on my sportster and to get to it you have to take off the rear brake pedal and that flippin cotter pin pissed me off to no end as it was in an impossible place to get a pair of pliers to. I hate that crap

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
I just did the rear brakes on my 900 and know the pin you're taking about. I made sure I put some caliper grease on it when I put it back on. On mine that little cotter pin was a bugger to get out.
There's a video on Youtube changing out the rear brakes. He used a screwdriver so I did the same. It popped right out. Nothing makes me more angry when I don't have the right tool for the job. In this case ti was the wrong tool as apposed to needle nose pliers to pull it off.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement